All Topics / Opinionated! / Metropole

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of patconpatcon
    @patcon

Hey guys,

If been interested in property development and have about $1M in equity PPOR.
    Just wondering if anyone knows about METROPOLE ? And if they have used them ?

Cheers

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Yes they are good.

However we put investors directly into development projects where you get to share in the development margin.

The problem is that most people think they can do it themselves. Most people do not have the time or knowledge to do this themselves. It is important to target mid range projects that are large enough that they offer a great profit, however not to big. I like projects we can be in and out of in 12 months.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of JazzyJazzy
    @jazzy

Patcon,

I have not used them but I was looking x Buyer’s Agents and I have NOT heard good things about them. I have no first hand experience but please be very wary when using them

Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Hi Patcon,
    I have not used Metropol as such but have used Rolf who is a senior broker there and he is very good,and has a very good reputation. I have only heard good things about Metropol. Michael Yardney who is the founder has a regular column in the Australian Property Investing magazine, so maybe you could check out some of his atrticles and get some idea of how he operates.
    Landt

Profile photo of BallerinaBallerina
    Participant
    @ballerina

Hi Landt

We have used them on two accounts: as a buyers agents (in2008) and as a property managers (2009/10). As a buyers agents they have done a great job for us. As a propert managers-we changed them recently. We werent happy. they change staff in property management section too often, employing very junior personel, who did not deliver, as far as we are concerned. We are experienced property developers and know what to expect. they rental estimate was wrong (under the real value). Which was proven shortly, when we secured tenants easily for a 10-20 % higher rent then their estimate.

Are you looking for a JV partner? If so, we may be able to connect you to someexperienced  people.

Participant
    @landt64

Thanks Ballerina but i was only replying to a post i do not need any help personally.
    Landt

Participant
    @ballerina

Sorry all because I have addressed the wrong person: I meant to address Patcon.

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty
    landt64 wrote:
    Hi Patcon, I have not used Metropol as such but have used Rolf who is a senior broker there and he is very good,and has a very good reputation. I have only heard good things about Metropol. Michael Yardney who is the founder has a regular column in the Australian Property Investing magazine, so maybe you could check out some of his atrticles and get some idea of how he operates. Landt

A google search or a squizz at  bubblepedia.net.au  might change that.

Participant
    @landt64

Hi Crusty,
    thanks for the heads up. I would never be happy using someone who had a past record like that or anyone who associated with them. In my opinion anyone who is capable of those kinds of deeds is not someone who I would want to be associated with in any way, and I will not deal with anyone who works with them.
    landt

Participant
    @crusty
    Ballerina wrote:

Hi Landt

We have used them on two accounts: as a buyers agents (in2008) and as a property managers (2009/10). As a buyers agents they have done a great job for us. As a propert managers-we changed them recently. We werent happy. they change staff in property management section too often, employing very junior personel, who did not deliver, as far as we are concerned. We are experienced property developers and know what to expect. they rental estimate was wrong (under the real value). Which was proven shortly, when we secured tenants easily for a 10-20 % higher rent then their estimate.

Are you looking for a JV partner? If so, we may be able to connect you to someexperienced  people.

Hi Ballerina would you like to give an indication of the yeild and holding cost of the property? All the staff seem to change Eddie the strategist left and catherine the BA left. I think they may have found some morals. I was not impressed with the <moderator: delete language> spin and attiude of the new strategist. I also find it strange how negative comments about the above are removed from sommersoft forum.

Participant
    @ballerina
    crusty wrote:

Hi Landt

Hi Ballerina would you like to give an indication of the yeild and holding cost of the property? All the staff seem to change Eddie the strategist left and catherine the BA left. I think they may have found some morals. I was not impressed with the <moderator: delete language> spin and attiude of the new strategist. I also find it strange how negative comments about the above are removed from sommersoft forum.[/quote]

Hi Crusty
    Properties in question are three new townhouses, developed by us. old house demolished, three new ones built. Rental yield achieved: 5.7%, thanks to horrible low valuation. Location: Brisbane inner suburb. Rented out for $440/week and $470/week. Metropole's rental estimate was $380-$400. We got our investment out (by refinancing) and are left with 20% equity in it.
    (I wouldn't waste our time on Metropole any more).

As for a holding costs, it is not so simple answer. It depends on many things: entity (who owns a property), tax breaks/if applicable, interest rate, LVR (how much is borrowed against the property)…
     For us this properties are neutral, at the moment, since we are using funds to acquire more properties at this point of time, rather than being taxed on the profits made. For now, at this stage of our investment plan.

Where would you like to develop? Being part of the group is safer way to go. However, with 1 mil equity, you can do a lot. Just make sure to really know who you may be working with.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86
    Ballerina wrote:

Hi Crusty
    Properties in question are three new townhouses, developed by us. old house demolished, three new ones built. Rental yield achieved: 5.7%, thanks to horrible low valuation. Location: Brisbane inner suburb. Rented out for $440/week and $470/week. Metropole's rental estimate was $380-$400. We got our investment out (by refinancing) and are left with 20% equity in it.
    (I wouldn't waste our time on Metropole any more).

Hi Ballerina- just curious as to how you got your investment out- did you purchase the property in a trust, loan the money to the trust and then take out an LOC in the trusts name to repay the loan toi yourself? Or did you purchase in your own name and find a way around refinancing?

I am working though ways to do this and it is good to see what other people are doing, after all that is what forums are for!!

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of patconpatcon
    @patcon

Thank u for taking the time to write some in depth comments to assist me.
    Ballerina, ur insights are very helpful and as ur a property developer ur self I would like to know more…

I live in Sydney and interested in developing in either NSW OR SA ( as I am part adelaidian). As I am new to the development game I am keen to network with experienced people. I would like to learn more and keen to listen to JV or assisting myself in developing on my own…

Kosta.

Participant
    @ballerina

Answer to Luke:
    When project is done, you approach a bank for a new loan, based on the new value created. You get more money out since LVR is higher then for construction/development finance.  If project works (stacks up from the beginning), you should have enough to pay yourself out. If project has a  very low margin, then you may not have enough. Your feasibility is the first point to show whether you would be able to get your initial investment out.

Who is the borrower, depends on the initial structure and where initial investment came from (cash, loan to trust, loan to the person). For  that one you have to talk to your accontant first, then to a mortgage broker. Every situation is very personal and one size do not fit all. That particular project I was talking about was done in personal name, so all loans were to the same people/names. We have others, which are set up differently.

Answer to Kosta:

Glad to help. I am an architect, with an engineer husband, and not a big developer. More like extended Mum & Dad investor.

I also needed lots of good advice couple of years ago. And still do.

However, to talk further, send me an e-mail.

Participant
    @crusty

Thats interesting Ballerina,  In 2009 I Was considering buying a neighboring property  but wanted some diversification and wanted to invest in Queensland with so many options and limited knowledge,  I went to the Melbourne office.   I was told Melbourne is rhe best place to invest .   Ye right, best place for them !    When asked about Land Tax, "dont worry about that its neglible"  didnt know much about it then.  So I went ahead and bought an albatros and slung it around my neck. To find out BC fees are  now 4x what they said, got hit with  2.5 k land tax, increasing insurance, vacancy,minor maintainence issues, rent going down instead of increasing 10% as they said every year, while paying increasing rates =  compounding debt.  Bank wont increase loan  as the price paid was at the very top of price range.    In 2008 and 2010  I did some developing in regional areas they say are bad places to invest . With one the value of my investment increased 15% in 3 months with 5.5% yeild, the other 10% in 3 years but it is nuetrally geared and the rent is rising.    Anyway the neighboring  property had a gross yeld of 12% and sold for 480k  it sold again  2 years later for 580k , so instead  instead of  making 80k for the lease and and 100k in CG, Ive borrowed another 60+k to pay the holding cost and CG only cover the stamp duty  and acquistion cost.   Lesson the grass isnt greener on the other side of the fence. The whole buying process is another long story, but it was like every 2nd week dealing with some-one different.

Participant
    @ballerina

Hi Crusty
    You have just described at a length how I see Metropoles project development advice, based on many other people's experience. As an architect/developer, I got in contact with people who wanted to develop their development sites, chosen by Metropole as an buyer's agents/advisers. Most of the sites in question didn't stack-up! By developing people would make little, or even lose $$$, meaning that no bank would lend them for a nonprofitable development. When we used Metropole as a buyer's agents, we actually had enough knowledge to check their recommendations ourselves, and guy who was allocated to us happened to be á very knowledgeable. He left Metropole shortly after.

Anyway, learning from this Forum/topic is to stay away from Metropole. They do not know the numbers and their advice is not good, at least in too many cases.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

What we do is different. we find sites ranging from 10 to 30 either apartments of Townhouses and we put investors into the projects to develop and we manage the process. The benefit is that the investors own the site and share in the development margin. I think in this market there are great opportunities but you have to think outside of the square. Many people lose money because they do things that they have no experience in.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    luke86 wrote:

Hi Ballerina- just curious as to how you got your investment out- did you purchase the property in a trust, loan the money to the trust and then take out an LOC in the trusts name to repay the loan toi yourself? Or did you purchase in your own name and find a way around refinancing?

I am working though ways to do this and it is good to see what other people are doing, after all that is what forums are for!!

Luke,
    There are a couple of ways you can get your money out of a deal – it comes back to your strategy and the deal.
    Option 1The first is to buy build and sell all of the project.
    Option 2 is Sell part of the project to recover capital, keep profit in the deal and refinance.
    Option3 is refinance the whole deal on completion.

Which option is best will depend on equity and income created, why you did the deal to sell or keep and your personal situation.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86
    KeyStrategies wrote:
    luke86 wrote:

Luke,
    There are a couple of ways you can get your money out of a deal – it comes back to your strategy and the deal.
    Option 1The first is to buy build and sell all of the project.
    Option 2 is Sell part of the project to recover capital, keep profit in the deal and refinance.
    Option3 is refinance the whole deal on completion.

Which option is best will depend on equity and income created, why you did the deal to sell or keep and your personal situation.

Thanks for your feedback. What I was curious about is how you get the cash out of the deal if you are building and holding.

One option is to use a trust- where you lend money to the trust and then repay the loan using a LOC secured against the completed development.

I just am not sure if there is a way of doing it if you buy in your personal name, because if you set up a LOC and then draw it down to put the money as cash into a savings account, the interest will not be tax deductible.

I use trusts because I think they are more flexible and you can 'get money out of the deal' (as the term seems to be) but it would be good if there was a way to do this if you buy in your personal name.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

luke86 wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback. What I was curious about is how you get the cash out of the deal if you are building and holding.

One option is to use a trust- where you lend money to the trust and then repay the loan using a LOC secured against the completed development.

I just am not sure if there is a way of doing it if you buy in your personal name, because if you set up a LOC and then draw it down to put the money as cash into a savings account, the interest will not be tax deductible.

I use trusts because I think they are more flexible and you can 'get money out of the deal' (as the term seems to be) but it would be good if there was a way to do this if you buy in your personal name.

Cheers, Luke

Luke,

I also use Companies and Trusts in doing my projects -they are effective for both minimising tax and asset protection. So  why do it in your personal name ? Still I don't see the difference in using the cash funds to develop and then refinancing on completion to repay Cash funds invested. As far as interest is concerned it should be deductible either in a trust or personally – But attempting to justify charging Interest to yourself might be tricky (If that's what you are inferring) Either way you should check with your Accountant before proceeding down either path. Which ever path you take – I believe you keep it simple and always have a paper trial.

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.