All Topics / Help Needed! / Asset protection Question smart property owners !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Hi Guys
    I have asked this question before, however I wasnt satisfied with the answers. But maybe thats because I didnt ask the right question.
    So here goes again/
    I read in API mag the following.

"Another way smart property investors protect their assets is to buy them in the correct ownership structures to legally minimise their tax and protect their assets. Most wealthy property investors own nothing in their own names, but control their assets through companies or trusts." 

Can anyone explain how I might be able to do this when I am buying cheaper cash flow properties ? lets say a property under $200 000 renting for $280 to $300 per week.

I have been told by my accountant that because the return isnt  over 70 000$s a year is not worth having my assets in company or trust structures.

Hope that make sence.
    Thanks
    G

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Hi G

Good question and I would also be interested in the response.

I visited my accountant the other day to enquire about establishing a trust and was advised that even though trusts may be popular, they are very complicated to manage and may not provide all the benefits that we first assume they would (ie a trust may not provide the asset protection we are looking for and that the tax benefits from -vely geared proeprties can't be passed on from a trust). He has advised to keep buying under our personal names and ensure that we have our ourselves and investment properties adequately insured. 

We are also buying in the price range that you specify above. 

Any experienced trustees out there who can explain the pros and cons of buying properties under a trust as opposed to under personal names?   

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Ill list the pro/con of each structure – hopefully it provides a solid answer to your questions…
    The trust i be focusing here is the common FAMILY trust only + with a personal trustee ( compared to corporate) – another trust and structures works differently and have their associated pros and cons.

Buying under personal—-

**Pro**
    – Land tax threshold
    – Negative gearing benefits
    – Capital gain discounting/ waived
    – Deprecation
    – Any lost can be carried forward to your personal income assessment
    – No maintenance cost / set up

** Con**
    – Profit taxed at personal full rate, so if your a high income earner then it’s >40%
    – Income split and tax benefits are set as per sale contract
    – Personally liable for the property/mortgage

— Buying under Trust with Personal trustee—

**Pro**
    – Not personally liable, the trust is – which is a separate entity
    -Ability to split the income as you wish to the nominated beneficiaries
    – Being a separate entity the land tax threshold starts at the bottom again ( only a pro for investors with over 1.5M in property under their personal)

**Con**
    – Any lost can NOT be carried forward towards your personal income assessment
    – Maintenance and set up cost (low)
    – Capital gain tax at full rate

—-

Regarding what your accountant is saying- it’s hard to comment as your accountant is the professional + he knows your personal circumstance. But taking a punt – > If the property is NOT positive geared enough then you will NOT see any benefit using the trust BESIDE the asset protection benefit.

Example: ( average cost/ sample only)

Rent received – $300 per week = $15,600 PA

Depreciation benefits = $4000 PA
    Interest repayment = $11,000 PA ( 6.55% -80%LV)
    Bank fee and charges – $300 PA
    Maintenance issues/strata/ repairs/ Agent fee- $2500 PA
    Insurance- $500 PA

Cash flow = $2,700- ( Negative)
    You will get $0 from the trust, as this lost can not not carried to your personal income.
    It will take a while before your rental catches up to become positive.

Your accountant saying $70,000 is a bit “open”…he should have told you and given you a figure for the rental yield.

Because i can can have $70k income in rental btw 2-3 properties and still make a lost, but with 2-3 properties it will be much quicker for the rental to catch up.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Michael

A bit incorrect there. A trust is not really a separate entity. Legally a trust is the trustee. ie if a trust is sued it is the trustee that is sued. So a trustee can be personally at risk – this is why a $2 company is generally used. A trustee is often indemnified out of the assets of the trust. So a A is sued as trustee for the trust and there is a judgment awarded against A, A has to pay it. A can do this by calling on the assets of the trust. If the assets of the trust are not enough to satisfy the judgment then A's personal assets are at risk.

However, for tax purposes a trust is treated as a separate entity – so lodges a separate tax return.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw
    g0biin wrote:
    Hi Guys
    I have asked this question before, however I wasnt satisfied with the answers. But maybe thats because I didnt ask the right question.
    So here goes again/
    I read in API mag the following.

"Another way smart property investors protect their assets is to buy them in the correct ownership structures to legally minimise their tax and protect their assets. Most wealthy property investors own nothing in their own names, but control their assets through companies or trusts." 

Can anyone explain how I might be able to do this when I am buying cheaper cash flow properties ? lets say a property under $200 000 renting for $280 to $300 per week.

I have been told by my accountant that because the return isnt  over 70 000$s a year is not worth having my assets in company or trust structures.

Hope that make sence.
    Thanks
    G

Sounds like your accountant doesn't understand structures very well – or you have misinterpreted him/her.

It is certainly not a good idea to use a company to hold appreciating assets for a number of reasons.

A discretionary trust is totally different however.

a mere profit of $2000 in a trust could make it all worthwhile. eg. a property in your name at the top rate rate with a $2000 profit could result in almost $1000 in tax. Whereas if it was in a trust could result in no tax at all.

Then consider the future growth as well.

As for asset protection it is not just as simple as setting up a trust it is but how it is set up and how you use it. I can think of around 10 ways that a trust could be attacked if done incorrectly.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

Goblin the answer is never so simple with tax structuring. The journalist who wrote that article is right in a way but for those who are not in the big end of town it can be overkill with structuring.

Profile photo of ananddanandd
    Participant
    @anandd

In my banking experience, I have seen over 50% people establishing trusts for wrong reasons or due to wrong advise. The legal structure is determined by the total Group/ Family income keeping in mind that you won't face any trouble getting the funding due to your legal structure. If you are an investor who goes for LMI all the time, a purchase under company/ trust structure may not be possible.

What you really need is a good 'tax accountant' not an accountant who files tax return.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Anannd

If you are an investor who goes for LMI all the time, a purchase under company/ trust structure may not be possible.

Why would this be?

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @anandd

Hi Richard,

This is because you won't be able to get LMI under Co/ trust name.

Also a residential loan under Co/ trust name will be funded by small business bankers at most of the banks (unless you can find a smart personal banker who can process transaction under these entities).

Under these structures banks wil be able to fund the loan (up to 80% LVR) so long servicing is met and Directors/ trustees guarantee is available.

Participant
    @terryw

Anand – how long have you been a broker?

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi anand

Sorry i have never heard so much rubbish in all my 25 years of being a Broker.

Neither of the main mortgage insurers have any problems in providing in cover where the applicant is a Pty Ltd Company ATF a Trust structure so i am unsure where you get our information from. 

Also upto 95% lvr is available thru the normal residential distrubution channels without the need to go thru the back door of some business banker.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @qlds007

Duplicated post

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @anandd

Richard, Which major banks you would use for this type of transaction? And would you be seeking mortgage insurance directly from the two active providers in Australian market?

Participant
    @anandd

Richard, Just saw your othere question – I mainly do business transactions ( reasonable size) as an Introducer so operate with a level of ethics and been in this industry for not as long as you but nearly 15 years with few majors.

I'll be very interested in knowing which major financiers are doing up to 95% LVR transactions in this market for such structures through residential channels.

Participant
    @qlds007

As a volume producer we may get more beneficial terms than other brokers but as an example did a 95% lvr for a forum member with Anz this week at a purchase price of $685K in  Pty Ltd structure.

We are directly accredited with the Bank so couldnt quote their standard terms thru an Aggregator.

Wesuck i understand dont like doing them but NAB are fine and so are Homeside and the Dragon.

Then we think outside the Big 5 and i can think of 6 lenders off the top of my head who have no problems.

As i say i have been in the industry for 25 years and usually in the top 100 Brokers by volume in the Country so might get more favourable terms than most but i doubt it in the current climate. All we normally get is quicker service / processing times although sometimes it makes you wonder.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @anandd

@ Richard,

I have been a corporate banker in the past so my client base was somewhat different with lawyers & accountants (usually 1st tier firms) assisting us. But good to know all this. Now that I'm out of banking, I do a little bit of home lending for relatives/ friends of my business clients so never had to seek more then a simple home loan for people and that too through my own channels at the banks and therefore never dealt with broker channel.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.