All Topics / Overseas Deals / Single currency flagged for Australia and NZ

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of lillystarlillystar
    @lillystar

What do you guys think about this idea in relation to it's impact on property prices in Australia and also the prospect of buying in the NZ market? It was on ABC news this morning thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-04/single-currency-flagged-for-australia-and-nz/3932830

Profile photo of jbelmorejbelmore
    Participant
    @jbelmore

Hi lilystar. What a crazy idea -haven’t we learnt from Europe? I imagine it would result in a market like Tasmania with a higher yield and lower capital growth as many of the young Kiwis are here in Queensland where there are jobs.

Cheers David

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

It comes up for discussion about every decade or so. Never happen. As the article points out the EU provides adequate reason to avoid it at all costs.

Kiwis and Aussies are pretty parochial.

NZ couldn’t benefit from this anyway. The NZ economy either gets dragged up to par with the AU economy reducing competitiveness or the Aussie down increasing AU competitiveness

The Freckle

Profile photo of lawsjslawsjs
    Participant
    @lawsjs

Four letters E.U.R.O.

I like NZ a lot. However, won’t happen…

NZ is tackling the finance crisis sensibly. Pro Business CEO/PM – Like the work they are doing – a LOT. Australia is stuck in the leftist 1950’s protectionist mindset that will kill us. Why would NZ want to invite themselves into the mire that is incompetent Aus policy making.

Profile photo of lillystarlillystar
    @lillystar

Yeah I totally agree guys and that was pretty much the conclusion the debate on tv came to as well. Just wanted to see if anyone else had an alternative view

Profile photo of KnoxOffKnoxOff
    Participant
    @knoxoff

whats  the differance  ……   most  kiwi's  use  aussie dollars  any way

Hill they cant evun  speak  UnglushPHAR LAP: New Zealand's famous racehorse christened Phillip but was incorrectly written down as 'Phar Lap' by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.
    Phar Lapb was NZ's most  famous horse he was christened "Phillip" but  it was incorrectly written down as "Phar Lap" by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.
    PHAR LAP: New Zealand's famous racehorse christened Phillip but was incorrectly written down as 'Phar Lap' by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.

Blocked
    @freckle
    KnoxOff wrote:
    whats  the differance  ……   most  kiwi's  use  aussie dollars  any way

Hill they cant evun  speak  UnglushPHAR LAP: New Zealand's famous racehorse christened Phillip but was incorrectly written down as 'Phar Lap' by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.
    Phar Lapb was NZ's most  famous horse he was christened "Phillip" but  it was incorrectly written down as "Phar Lap" by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.
    PHAR LAP: New Zealand's famous racehorse christened Phillip but was incorrectly written down as 'Phar Lap' by an Australian racing official who was not well versed in Kiwi-ese.

We can all cut and paste ;-)

An Englishman wanted to become an Irishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this.

“Well”, said the doctor, “this is a very delicate operation and there’s a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove half your brain.”

“That’s OK”, said the Englishman. “I have always wanted to be Irish and I am prepared to take the risk.”

The operation went ahead but the Englishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor.

“I’m terribly sorry !” the doctor said.

“Instead of removing half your brain, I’ve taken the whole brain out!”

The patient replied, “No worries mate !”

The main reason we Kiwis don’t really want to merge with Oz is that you’re our cash cow. We’ve been milking you for years. ;-)

The Freckle

Participant
    @knoxoff

hey  freakle
    you forgot   to  do the haka  first

Blocked
    @freckle
    KnoxOff wrote:
    hey  freakle
    you forgot   to  do the haka  first

You mistake me for a North Island bro’

Whitey from the south with Anglo Scottish ancestory although one small branch on the recent family tree does have persons of indigenous descent. Mostly illegitimate if I recall correctly but the girls/mothers insist on retaining the family name. Discussing the extent of our extended family gets quite complicated (and amusing) around the BBQ after a few bevies.

If I remember correctly I have (thanks to few wayward aunts in the North Is) part Nui Island cousins, pat Chines cousines and part Indian (India) cousines. Haven’t seen them since childhood.

The Freckle

Participant
    @knoxoff

freakle Sounds  like  one of  my  good customers

Mr Lee   4th generation  Aussie

still looks  Chinese
    speaks  with a slow   Queensland   drawl

his mother  was  Scottish desent   so  he plays in a bagpipe   marching band   in     a   kilt 

any  way  we've just about killed  this thread off
     please just  keep  sony bill   over there 

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I would think sometime in the future New Zealand and Australia will become one country. It will start with more trade. Within a year or two you will not need a passport to Travel to New Zealand. The last thing with be to merge currencies.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Blocked
    @freckle
    Nigel Kibel wrote:
    Within a year or two you will not need a passport to Travel to New Zealand.

There was a time when passports where not necessary. Australia introduced the requirement in 81. NZ followed a few years later if I remember correctly. Prior to that we could simply buy a ticket jump on a plan or boat and travel. Few people actually had passports because of this. Once it was introduced both NZ’s and Aussies required a passport. Australians didn’t need one initially to get into NZ but did need it to get back into Australia.

It’ll never happen Nigel. Oz can’t merge it’s States into a homogeneous unit let alone stand any chance of merging with NZ

The Freckle

Profile photo of ananddanandd
    Participant
    @anandd

you kidding? Do we need another Euro zone type drama in this part of the world?

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

How would Australia and New Zealand be another Eurozone?

We both are very similar countries, we speak the same language and both countries economies would benefit from at least an economic merger. That is already being discussed.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of ananddanandd
    Participant
    @anandd

Nigel,

Euro zone had all plus points when they started Euro (even though now we can see only the negative points) and was seen as true rival to USD. Aus & NZ are very similar but still they are two different countries with two different level of Purchasing Power Parity and therefore I am a firm believer that it won't work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.