All Topics / General Property / Working in Real Estate – Management Programs

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of ediot123ediot123
    Participant
    @ediot123

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any real estate agency management programs before being offered a position within an agency or if anyone has any thoughts about these programs would love to hear about them.

Basically you go through some intense training before the real estate agents decide if you are the right candidate for the position in real estate sales.

Cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

How do you know if you’ve learnt the right system for the business? Most use Console or Rest but some use a myriad of other systems.

Profile photo of VictoriaCVictoriaC
    @victoriac

Im guessing this is a franchise agency – which one?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

No Victoria I haven’t used either system, i’ve used others including JDE, SAP & MRI, which are too powerful or expensive for most users.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Post is a little confusing. Are you asking about property management (programs) and associated positions or real estate sales? Two different aspects of the business.

Property management systems used by agents I have come across from a landlord's viewpoint, are often antiquated and complicated. It's almost as if the agent enjoys making life difficult for themselves and anyone else who tries to understand their process. Part of the problem is they are trying to cater for individual tenants to get the business and this compounds an already confusing system. Some pay weekly, some fortnightly, some monthly, some are in credit, some are direct debit, some are salary sacrifice, some are cash only,  some are allowed to pay individually on a common lease for god's sake! … etc.

As for systems that remind them what to do on time, that can be overshadowed because they're so busy chasing their tail concentrating on the one thing that interests them. The 8% of all rent paid.

http://www.theblockblog.com/propertyinvestment/property-management/are-you-looking-for-a-good-property-manager/

Ian
    http://theblockblog.com
    Free Property Investment Info, Tools & Resources for Investors with a Sense of Hummer.

Profile photo of ediot123ediot123
    Participant
    @ediot123

Sorry for the confusion guys.

I was actually referring to the real estate sales programs. See link below.
    http://realestatejobsearch.com.au/careers.php?work=Sales

Is anyone able to provide some more info into what is involved and what is expected if you were to be selected.

Also any personal opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Ediot,

These guys, Pittard, are the offshoot (lovechild?) of what used to be a 'jenman agent', which was started by Neil Jenman, and then on sold.
    They do seem to offer good pay structures, unlike some of the commission only agents, but of course you do have to do the training and eat meanwhile. I think some of their roles are door to door canvassing, and phone cold calling, but when you look at the website, there does seem to be a few options.
    A lot of it would come down to who (or if there is one) is a Pittard agent in your area. I guess there would be plenty of worse ways to enter the R/E industry.
    Just make sure that as they ask for plenty of details from you, get plenty from them also. If you can earn $75k pa on a wage as they advertise, you won't find many other agents where you can do this that's for sure, so may be worth putting in a bit of effort perhaps.
    All the best with whatever you decide,

Cheers

Participant
    @ediot123

Thank you for your input on this V8ghia. It does sound very interesting and I am thinking of applying for one of these training courses. I am very keen to get started in the property industry and I think this would be a great opportunity.

If anyone has any more details or input into these training courses please feel free to share. Would love to know more about what is involved and how “intensive” the courses are.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

1) yes many agencies ‘provide’ the training BUT you are expected to pay back the cost from your commissions earnt.
    2) yes many agencies work on a debit/credit system ie they are obliged to pay you the minimum wage for an agent (this is the debit bit), when you make a sale the debit is deducted from the commission you earn.
    3) Only a licence holder can work commission only.
    4) Be very aware of the comms that you earn ie what is kept by the agency and how much you get. Is it split between listing comm and sales comm?

Intensive courses – places like the REI run a 5 week intensive, licence course. They teach you the legislative stuff to get you a licence but you still need to learn your selling skills (on the job).

Still keen?

Participant
    @ediot123

Thanks so much for the info IP Freely. Your info has certainly given me a clearer understanding of what to expect.

If you dont mind me asking you what suggestions/advice could you give to taking up either the “agency” training or going through REI to get started in real estate.

Or what other options are available?

Thanks for your time

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

There are plenty of providers of the training course (either the statement of attainment to allow you to work in the industry or the full licence Cert IV/Diploma) however you still need work experience which you will need to get from an agency – ie you need to 'learn' how to sell.

You will need to do one of the courses before starting work in the industry (best to do the statement of attainment) – this can be done on-line through places like OTEN/TAFE, Kaplan etc then you need to apply to VCAT/Fair trading for a certificate. You could probably do the course, then start applying for jobs as a junior/receptionist/assistant property manager etc so you can learn the industry.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

The OTEN/TAFE one is quite good, and you can learn while at home and even though you have a job already

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.