All Topics / Help Needed! / town planner or architect, who should i go first if I want to have any development ( extension or build granny flat)

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of kennychlorinekennychlorine
    @kennychlorine

I have brought a property. I would like to have some small development for this property to increase the income.

I have a lot of idea before I go to meet the town planner. 

When I meet the  town planner. I ask him whether I can knock down the building and build 2 units.

He said probably not, but you can try. and I ask him whether can i build 2 small flat at the back.

he said may be, depend on council. I have asked other different questions. and get similar answer.

I am very confuse now.

Am I go for a right person? What is the step if I want to do any extension or any development on my house?

Is that any person I can pay for and guide me from start until finish? that can save my time.

how can i know the council will going to approve or reject?

Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Hi mate
    Go see council. You can pay them like $200 bucks for a meeting to let you know exactly what you can and cant do with your property.

The thing is the answers are never straight forward, so the only way you will get a straight answer is from the council or 3rd party certifier who will know the council restrictions.

Good luck.

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

The private town planner would be the right person to talk to. Council will always give you the most conservative, unprofitable answer since a lot of them are ex-librarians with no idea how to make money. A private town planner knows the State Planning Framework etc like the back of his hand and will be able to help you maximise the use of the land, whether council likes it or not. Let’s not forget that if the proposal goes to the tribunal it is no longer a council decision.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Did you do any research on what you would probably be able top build before you purchased the property?

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Kenny,

Most planners know a little about architecture.
    And most architects know a little about planning.

I have both working in my office, and I'd say the architects, on balance, have a broader knowledge.

To answer your questions:

1. Is a town planner the right person? Yes is the simple answer, but a planner will need to rely on the expertise of an architect or designer if the proposal is constrained by size, orientation or other complexities. A good planner will have ready access to this expertise.
    2. What do you have to do to develop your property? In most situations a Development Approval (DA or TPP) will be required  for the proposed development. A planner or an architect will point you in the right direction, and a good one will have a clear process for you to follow.
    3. Is there anyone who can guide you from start to finish? Yes, there are many! Find someone who works in your area and who has the skills you require. Someone who has experience in handling the type of project you are proposing.
    4. How do you know if your proposal will be approved? A pre-application meeting with council, attended by your architect, designer or planner should leave you with enough feedback to make a decision as to the merits of the proposal.

While private practice is not necessarily in opposition to the municipal planning authorities, we do have a different objective. We are trying to achieve the commercial (and other) development objectives of our clients, and it is incumbent on us to find the best way to get your project approved.

Best of luck with the project.

Profile photo of vicplannervicplanner
    @vicplanner

I love your coment Aaron, council planners are ex librarians! I have worked as a local government planner, but will not take offence to that comment ;)

For the poster, you really need to speak to a private planner, Council will never offer you a solution (generally) as they are not there to teach people on how to become a developer.

Good luck!

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Sounds like everyone shares the same opinion on council planners! :D

But yes talk to a private town planner. Everyone recommends it for good reason- because they know what they’re doing!

Cheers,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.