All Topics / Value Adding / $800 per square metre

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Is this a reasonable cost to build a freestanding dwelling/granny flat in western Sydney?

Normal finishes. Nothing too flashy, but not rubbish either. Flat land.

Cheers.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

That is extremely cheap. If you can build for that price then you are doing very very well. does that include all services connections, bathrooms, and building from scatch? And are you building yourself or using a builder?

I would expect to pay about $1500 – $1650  / m2 if you are using a registered builder. 60m2 is not a very economical size to build.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

$800 – $900 per square metre is what I've been told to expect from http://www.betterbuildingprices.com.au/ for a single storey house.

Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Participant
    @luke86

To be honest, I can't see how you can build anything for $800-$900 per square meter (asusming we are talking about building something from scratch including connecting services such as water/power/sewer etc). This is cheaper per square meter than building a 4 bedroom house, and based on economy of scale you would expect to pay more per square meter for a 60m2 dwelling than for a 140-200m2 house.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

I know granny flats are more expensive per square metre, due to their small size. 

But for a normal single storey 4 bedroom house, I've been told to expect 800-900/sqm from BBP….

Profile photo of Joe85Joe85
    @joe85

Hi everyone,

It is possible BUT, You have to understand to build a single story house from $800 per m2 there are few things.

Most likely it is not including GST, not including design, not including Site cost (average cost for a single story house is around $8 000 to $12 000), not including floor covering, not including driveway/landscaping and the house size would most probably be min size of about 250m2. In term of finishes, it would be very basic.

For Granny Flats, We are currently building many 60m2 brick veneer granny flats all over Sydney with concrete roof tiles, wall-robes, great size kitchen/appliance and great finishes in bathrooms for close to $100 000inc gst.  According to access on site with no demolition and no sewer encasements

Hope this information helps you in someway

Ragards,

Joe

http://www.shineconstructions.com.au

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Including council costs, approvals, designs and everything else, the cheapest I found using a builder was $2000sqm in Western Sydney.

Which is why I'm looking for alternatives which work out MUCH cheaper. 1 worked out great, the other one not so much :-/

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

$2000 sqm is not the cheapest. Is this for just the construction?

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @luke86

I have had one built for about $100 000 which is what Joe85 has indicated.

But this would not include driveway, fence, landscaping etc (if required).

Cheers

Luke

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

For just construction I found 90k for 60sqm + a large decking area. The 2000sqm was inclusive of council contributions and connections.

Profile photo of DavidRSPDavidRSP
    @davidrsp

$800 per square meter might get you a very basic standard of finish and the build would most likely come from a spec home builder. These are much cheaper for the following reasons:

– They have contracts set in place between head contractors and subcontractors, to build a set number of houses. So the turnaround time must be very fast for the subcontractors. Some find it difficult to keep up to the workload, so they hire apprentices to do the work.

– The price is quoted based on an economy of scale – meaning that the larger size the house, the cheaper it is to build. In a room that has minimum services (informal lounge / bedrooms), they only require maybe 1 powerpoint and a single light fitting. Studies are even cheaper because they do not need to have a window. So, if you have a house filled with those, and minimize the services areas (bathrooms, kitchens), you'll have a 20 square home with very low number of services. That's why, these work when you have a LOT of land to play with.

– Materials and equipment – the materials and finishes are generally very very basic. As others have covered, these houses may require a lot of optioning to bring to a good specification – some even extend to adding windows, changing size of hot water services (these large houses can't be serviced by a small Hot water service unit designed for a 2 bedder). Understanding that investment properties do not need polished cypress pine floorboards / Italian marble hand carved bathtubs, but, you also don't want to be at the other end of the spectrum, because some of the lower quality finishes do not have a good longevity in general.

– Site access – I am guessing that you want to build a building behind or near an existing dwelling, so access would be a problem. Demolition, excavations, installation of services, connections etc, that all needs to be done differently with an existing building. This is not going to cost the same as a single house on a single block.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts. PM me if you want to know more.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

As mentioned above, you CAN build for $800 per SQ/M.

We offer Granny Flat Kits that come in below this price!

That said, it does NOT include floor coverings, services, councils etc.

This price will get you a fully compliant Granny Flat to Lock up Stage –

That is internal and external linings, doors and windows are in-

You would still need to source services and joinery (Kitchen etc)

We supply our Granny Flat Kits as a total package, and they are built from SIPS

These panels allow you to build much faster than the average timber frame and brick dwelling.

Our 60sq/m model takes around 3-4 days to build to lock up stage.

So yes – it can be done, but there will be compromises along the way.

Our Kits have been designed with the budget conscious in mind.

They are a very basic unit, however they can be clad in just about any style cladding you like as your budget allows!

So it really depends on what you are expecting as a final result!

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen

Great, except lock-up stage is abut 25% of a build and you're not including granny flat approval, site costs, connection to services and all of the internal works?

How is that in any way a realistic build rate?

You might as well say we do it for free- except you need to pay for the entire supply, design, approval and build.

Yeap.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Profile photo of SeanWilsonSeanWilson
    Participant
    @seanwilson

As a builder, I know $800/sqm is very cheap. Buyer beware when you start seeing prices this low.

Profile photo of TomTom
    Participant
    @jainnitesh

Hi I would like to know the details about the kit for the granny flat as I am planning to build one as soon as possible. you can email me details to my email address [email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.