All Topics / Value Adding / Electricity during reno

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Denny CraneDenny Crane
    @denny-crane

Hi All,

We are about to undertake our first reno so i will probably be around with some stupid questions…

First one is: we are about to undertake our first reno. After settlement, when the current tenants move out, we will be without electricity for the time it takes us for the reno unless we get it connected. I expect it to take 4-6 weeks then we will put more tenants in.

Am I gonna be stung by the electricity company exorbitant fees to connect for a short period of time?

I have a couple of options…. I do have a generator, and I could also talk to the neighbours about hooking in an extension cord, but I thought I may get a quicker response just asking here.

Cheers,
    DC

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Why will you be without electricity? Just get the electricity account transferred to your name for the 4 weeks or so it takes to do the reno and then have the new tenants transfer it into their name when they move in.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

I recently had the power connected for 4 weeks…cost about $56 for electricity all up for reno work.. no biggy!

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Running a genny for that length of time will cost you a $heetload. Just get the power on, pay your deposit and get on with it

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Yep. Just get it connected. But don't forget to disconnect. Hubby forgot one and we realised a month later when we got the bill. Caused some problems really. Rang up and said disconnect. Rang tenants and they hadn't connected it. So we wore the month. Then we got a bill the next month. Rang them and were told sometimes it takes a while to go through and they will make sure we don't get a dishonour fee (WTF). Then next month same thing. I was jumping up and down saying it's not OUR bill and not in our name etc. Hubby was calmer  (it was in his name)and waited another month before it was sorted. Frustrating.

Profile photo of Denny CraneDenny Crane
    @denny-crane

Thanks,

As I said a bit of a stoopid question, but some good discussion ensued. Given that we haven't had to worry about connecting electricity in our PPOR for about 10+ years and before that things were a bit different as they used to actually come out and disconnect from memory…..

Cheers,
    DC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.