All Topics / Value Adding / How many townhouses can I build

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Cracker1970Cracker1970
    Participant
    @cracker1970

Hi all,

I have searched through this forum for an answer so I apologize if my question has been answered or touched on before.

I looking at purchasing a property in Brisbane. Land size is a little over 4100sqm and has an existing dwelling on the property. The property measures approximately 100m x 41m in size. Many of the properties surrounding are the same or similar size and have, or are currently being developed for town houses. The property next door has current DA and BA for 16 townshouses (or so the real estate agent tells me).

My question is, is there a rule of thumb as to how many townhouses I could get approved for development on this land. Going by next door I guess 16 is the answer the problem is the demensions of the block next door is different.

I have read somewhere that every 200sqm equates to one townhouse but not sure how correct this assumption is in the Brisbane City Council.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It will depend upon what is written in the LEP. As a guide take out 30% of the land for circulation space & divide by your minimum lot size.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Good advice from Scott.

Zoning particulars aside – and they are vitally important – an assumption of 1:250m2 is reasonable.

It may be however that a yield of substantially less, or a little more is the ultimate outcome.

Seek solid early advice.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The end result depends on many variables including shape of the block, easements, terrain, width etc. Eg. a 3000m2 block being 15m deep will yield few blocks unless you have 200m of road frontage.

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Check PDonline for the information about nearby blocks, trust but verify carefully everything you have been told by the agent and talk to some town planners for more informed feedback.

Profile photo of momotalomomotalo
    @momotalo

Depends on a lot of things.
    – natural condition of the block, size, orientation, proportion, fall, vegetation, easement, …..
    – planning & legal : zoning, consent, covenant….
    – surrounding context: neighbor's building height and density
    – and what you want to build/ or what the market is looking for in this location, the average land for a townhouse varies a lot from a 3 story 2bed TH to a 2 story 3bed.

After all, as a starting point, 16 is a good guess. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.