All Topics / Value Adding / requesting a re-quote

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

ok, so im looking to get a shed built and have recieved 4 quotes the best quote is a fair way off another quote I recieved from a local to do the shed. What is the best way to go about asking to beat another quote? I always seem to think that builders come off fairly assertive hen asking for another quote/beat a price.

I am not going about it in a rude manner, I just basically tell them/show them the better quote and ask if they can do better than this price.

Is this the right way to go about it? any advice appreciated!! cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Slightly confused here. Are you saying one quote is heaps cheaper than the others but you want the others to come back & review their quotes?

What if the cheapest has given you their best price or stuffed up?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Waydo

I know what you mean.

You can almost bet that the response will be something about how the other operator doesn't offer the same quality as what they're offering.

Just be upfront with them. Tell them you've gotten a few quotes and want to go ahead with their company but the price is holding you back – would they be willing to match x companies quote?

If they do appear to offer better quality (and it's what you're after) then you'll have to be prepared to pay a bit more.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of waydo77waydo77
    Participant
    @waydo77

basically I believe the more expensive quote (4200), does offer better quality, yet the other quote (3350) is a company I am unsure of the quality. I am basically after some advice on wording to use and the best way to negotiate to a lower price similar to the cheaper competitors.

thanks in advance

Profile photo of KimbossKimboss
    @kimboss

I did the same thing when I got my patio built, called them and said I would like to go with your company, but I have been quoted this price from this company, I asked them can you match the price of this company, if so I am happy to sign the paperwork today. They ended up coming down to within a $150 of the cheaper price I had, as they had a good reputation and were easy to deal with I went with them and scored about $1000 of the original quote price. Just talk to them and most of the time they will be happy to help to get the business.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

Thank you (Company X) for providing me with a quote for my new shed. In addition to the quote from your company, I did seek a couple other quotes as well, however I have heard positive things about your quality and repuation so would like to give you the opportunity to negotiate a little. Company Y has quoted on the same job specification at a substantially lower price, $3350, so I’m wondering if there’s any movement possible in your price to come down towards that price? You see, price is very important to me but I’m conscious of not compromising on quality. Do you see a way we could negotiate a better price? Otherwise I’m going to have to go with the other company to keep in line with my budget.

Profile photo of KimbossKimboss
    @kimboss

Bang on, sounds good ;)

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

As long as you’re polite and completely honest about it there won’t be any issues at all.

I’ve had a few customers try to deceive me with promises of future work, saying how another surveyor gave a friend the same service for this much so many years ago etc. I’ve even had extremely rude demands to give people a lower price. In all these cases if the customer was polite and up front about it they would have got a good response from me.

In this day and age everyone wants the best price they can get, and businesses know that- there’s just correct avenues to go about it! Naming the company that gave you the better price is a good idea so it doesn’t sound dodgy. I like how wisepearl worded it- sounds good.

Participant
    @waydo77

Truly believe honesty with the quoting will get me further, as you said ashley.
    thanks for your help, wisepearl is onto something there. I think I’ll use wisepearls wording as a basis and see how I go with another quote, pretty sure when most places quote something they leave room for a bit of negotiation anyway. will update with the outcome, cheers guys!

Profile photo of Lucky I GuessLucky I Guess
    @lucky-i-guess

I personally never ask people to match.

You have to be prepared to wear quality for price, and I personally find it insulting when people come back and say "we know you do good work, can you do it cheaper because someone else is prepared to."

How would some of you feel if your boss came in at annual review time and said "look, you are an excellent worker and your quality is great, but Sammy over there is prepared to do your job for $10k a year less, so are you interested in a pay cut?"

Instead, when I seek quotes I tell them I will be getting 3 quotes, the other two are just as reputable and I will be going with the lowest price.  That way, everyone knows where they stand.

I do the same when I quote on work, I tell people that is my best price, and its up to them, but I dont work for nothing.

Based on the above prices, it must be a pretty damn small shed.

Participant
    @waydo77

hey lucky,

I like your idea of telling them upfront you will be getting 3 quotes and taking the best one. will use that next time.
    As for the shed size its 30ftx40ftx12ft high so its not that small, that quote only includes building the shed.

I already haggled a fair bit and got about 10 quotes for the manufacturer for the shed but if I had known some of these tips I have learnt in the last couple of posts I probably ould have saved myself a little more and made it easier.

I have a lot of trouble with tradies not coming through with their quotes which is a bit of a pain in the ass, and I feel some overquote expecting to knock down a little or maybe even jag a customer on that price?? just my feeling…

cheers

Profile photo of Lucky I GuessLucky I Guess
    @lucky-i-guess

That makes so much more sense if its for erection only.

Since it is for erection only, and Ive put a few up in my time you really cant put a kit shed up in better or worse quality than the next bloke since they are so "bolt together" and screw the tin on.  Ive seen some real rough people put a kit shed up and havent been able to fault them in the end because they are that simple once you have done one or two.

In this case, I would pick the one that will let you sleep best at night.  If the extra $1,000 will keep you away more than the possibility of it not being as good of job, then the decision is made.

I know a $1,000 is a $1,000, but on a shed that size and the concreting involved, its not a real big percentage of the purchase price.

Normally the manufacturers have their own "accreditated installers", how did they go for price?  Only reason I ask is if you have put a few Ranbuild sheds up, the easier they get, the cheaper you can do them for for example.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.