All Topics / Help Needed! / Prospective tenant has pets, what do you do?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of eliseyelisey
    Participant
    @elisey

Hi,

Does anyone ever experienced damaged to the property from tenant's pet???

I am not sure if I should accept the prospective tenants who has pet, I am just worry if the pet may cause damage to the property.

Thank you.

Profile photo of a_d_r_i_a_na_d_r_i_a_n
    Participant
    @a_d_r_i_a_n

Hi Elisey,

I have had pets at my current tenanted properties, with no issues at all.

I would recommend you to find out what the pet is, and do a little research on it to see what 'bad habits' it has.

Also would possibly talk with the Property Manager to include a clause on the lease to not let the pest inside the house also.

Just a thought – hope it helps

Adrian

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Goldfish or Great Dane – does make a difference.

Some states allow you to add clauses and penalties specifcially relating to the leasing of a property to a tenant with pets.

Check your states 'tenancy acts' to see what applies in your state.

Some pets are not a problem and having them onboard too can be a good thing. Make sure you get before and after photos.

If the property is strata titled you will need to chekc your by-laws as there may be some rules applyign to pets in the complex.

Profile photo of eliseyelisey
    Participant
    @elisey

Hi Adrian & Derek , Thank you for the info.

Was told by the property manager that the pet is a labrador/ golden retriever type.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Charge more rent (say $15-$20 per week) and get them to sign a pet clause, acknowledging they'll be liable for any damage the pet causes.  Also have on the clause that they have to steam clean the carpets and curtains every six months and show the property manager the receipts.  I've got someone renting a one-bedder from me that happily agreed to steam clean the carpets every six months in order to be able to keep a cat for company.  I did not increase the rent due to the cat moving in because the place is pretty dated and in the event the tenant moves out, I'd do a major renovation anyhow.  If the cat passes away, the tenant has to go and sign a new pet clause if he wants to get a new cat.  The clause is not transferrable. 

Be careful with your insurance – insurers don't tend to cover pet damage, so don't assume you'd be covered there.

A labrador is a pretty large animal so I suppose you're talking a fair bit of shedding of hair, and big muddy footprints on the carpet  if it is allowed to move freely between the backyard and carpeted zones.  If you have tiled floors, probably doesn't matter.  But I think they are a pretty placid breed so unlikely to chew the place to bits. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Hey,

Had a tenant with like 3 dogs and 3 cats. (dogs outdoors, cats indoors).
    Clause added to steam clean every year, and tenant liable for any damages incurred, added $10 to the rent per week.
    Any damage was picked up during inspections.
    No hassles whatsoever.

Being a renter myself, a housemate had a cat once, she made a 'resume' for her cat which she submitted to the rental agency, listing bad habits, wether it shed hair etc. Although she said it would be kept outside, she let it in most days, yet she was dilligent in her efforts to keep the place clean. Seeing that first hand, I would not hesitate to rent to a pet owner as they seem to be quite clean, just check if the pet owners seem like responsible people.

Profile photo of david4000david4000
    @david4000

Be careful when requiring you tenants to have anything steam cleaned professionally or otherwise as part of the lease agreement – you could land yourself in some hot water (no pun intended) with the state tenancy authority.

I'm not sure about every state but I know in SA the tenancies branch has advised that this is not an enforceable clause in a lease with regards to general cleaning – check with your state authority to be certain.

Profile photo of david4000david4000
    @david4000
    Profile photo of eliseyelisey
    Participant
    @elisey

Thanks for everyone's input.

The place is a timber floor board. Not sure how they would clean it.

Just check the insurance product disclosure statement. They wouldn't cover for loss or damage caused by animal owned by the landlord/ tenants. If increase the rent by $10 a week, it probably wouldnt be enough to cover for any loss/ damage. At least better than nothing :)

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

We've always allowed pets in our IPs and haven't had any issues. It's not easy to find a rental that allows pets so the tenants are generally longer-term and good quality.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of themagnix28922themagnix28922
    @themagnix28922

Pet = rent increase. All those little extra options are another $20 a week. Smoking = $20. Best to charge for everything.

Profile photo of labradorinlovelabradorinlove
    @labradorinlove

Please kindly consider accepting this tenant and their pet dog. I had a Labrador for over and decade and I can testify that they are generally fine indoor pets.The two major considerations are toilet issues and hair, which may lead to odour problems.As long as the owner is responsible and takes the dog out to go the toilet, there shouldn’t be any harm to the property. Most lab/retriever breeds do not bark and certainly don’t cause damage unless they are a pup. How old is the dog and how long has the owner had it?If I were you, I would put in a pet addendum in the lease which states they must do special de-odorizing and a hire a certified pet cleaning company or something when they leave.  

Profile photo of eilatan28eilatan28
    Participant
    @eilatan28

I am a renter (by choice) and i am forever grateful that our landlord gave us the chance to keep our chocolate lab when we moved in. She initially had a no pets clause. I wrote a letter stating he was a much loved member of our family, well behaved, regularly walked and an 'outside only dog'. We would have been devastated if she had said no.  She gave us a chance, and i have since given our tennants the same chance.

I would definitely assess each application individually though. I'm not a cat lover and our council requires them them to be kept inside, which i don't like. But from my experience, people who care greatly for their pets, also care greatly for the house they live in. You just have to make sure you pick the right tennant !!

Profile photo of JodyGJodyG
    @jodyg

Hi
    all our properties are geared for pets. I agree that finding a rental that accepts pets is difficult so you have a niche market that are usually keen to look after the property. Also happy to pay a little more. Landlord insurance and ensuring that the tenant has insurance equals good business.
    Your issue wont be with the tenant, it will be with making sure the property manager still screens well. Get involved with that part.
    Cheers
    Jody

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.