All Topics / Help Needed! / Purchasing PPR which will become developement site, possibly rtaining one unit as PPR – Margin scheme question?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

Looking to purchase a development site.  I will live in the house for 12- 18 months while sorting out town planning. Then subdivide, build and retain one unit as PPR.

The property is an existing residential block with an old house on it.

Not sure how the margin scheme is documented Do I need to apply the Margin scheme during my purchase in the contract of sale?, or is it only applied in the contracts used to sell the units later on?

I have some idea of what the margin scheme is about but just not sure when it is declared.

Any other advise on the structure of this development due to the PPR involvement and saving CGT GST is most welcome.

Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

I had a bit more of a search on this topic.

If I want to apply the margin scheme  i dont do anything during the purchase of the property, other than retain a copy of the contract to prove the purchase price.

The margin scheme is brought about by being included in the contract of sale when I sell.

So i just purchase the property  "normally", with no reference to the margin scheme.

Sound correct?

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Here's a document from the ATO that I came across recently http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/bus70665nat15145072010.pdf

It may have some answers.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

That’s correct jazz, as long as the property you’ve bought is not a commercial property – then it gets a bit more complicated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.