All Topics / Value Adding / Subdivision Flowchart for Melbourne – Free Download

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Please note:

No longer available.

Thankyou

Profile photo of bm17bm17
    Participant
    @bm17

Hi Ashley,
    I am currently at the final stages of this process (waiting for Council to approve the proposed section 173) and have to say that this process flow would have saved me a LOT of worry! Knowing the upcoming steps in the process would really help with planning.
    Great resource and thanks for sharing!

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Thanks for the good feedback! Oh well now you have it for your next project :)

Cheers,

Profile photo of PropertyGutsPropertyGuts
    Participant
    @propertyguts

Hi Ashley – thanks for sharing the flow chart, excellent.    I am looking at subdivision/splitting a 1400sqm block into 2 blocks in NSW.  Just wondering – can you provide ballpark figures on length of time to complete the process you mention (minimum, average, maximum days) and ball park figures for surveyors costs.  Thanks

Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    PropertyGuts wrote:
    Hi Ashley – thanks for sharing the flow chart, excellent.    I am looking at subdivision/splitting a 1400sqm block into 2 blocks in NSW.  Just wondering – can you provide ballpark figures on length of time to complete the process you mention (minimum, average, maximum days) and ball park figures for surveyors costs.  Thanks

Hi PropertyGuts,

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad that forum users are finding this a useful tool.

Unfortunately I don't have any subdivision experience in NSW so am not in a position to be able to give you a professional opinion here. From what I know from my experience in the industry, is that states follow fairly similar processes so that flowchart is probably not far off the mark.

In response to your question on timeframes- how long is a piece of string? It all comes down to the time waiting for council and the titles office to do their bit. I'll give you an example: Yarra Ranges (which is where we are based) quotes 60 days for planning permit applications. We've got a subdivision which has been sitting there for almost 12 months waiting for the planning permit to be issued. 

However, mostly I'd expect 9-12 months for a land only subdivision (no building) start to finish if everything goes smoothly. Our surveying services for example offer plans sent within a week of field work so we do try to get all the work out asap to minimize subdivision time. I've heard of other local firms spending over a month doing drafting work. When you consider that there are multiple surveys needed for a subdivision this will add significant time.

Costing-wise this really does depend on so many factors:

– Are you building?

– Will you use an architect or building designer?

– How much legwork are you prepared to do yourself?

– Will you engage a private planner?

– What zone does the property reside in? What are the survey extents related to this?

– How many lots?

Again this is another "how long is a piece of string" question. At the absolute simplest, with all council fees and contributions, professional fees and having a basic structure designed for a 2-Lot subdivision without building; we would recommend a budget of ~$25k. 

Survey fees are really quite interesting as the Association of Consulting Surveyors Victoria (ACSV) send out a recommended fee structure bi-annually. We stick to approx 60% of this as because we're a smaller firm we don't have as many overheads. Large firms will be hovering around the recommended fees.

The initial survey for town planning, known as the Feature and Level Survey with Site Analysis should be around $1900 + GST for a standard block with a 2-Lot subdivision with a high level of detail. There are some surveyors hovering around who do the survey for much less, but you will sacrifice the level of detail and will hence cause headaches for designers and be turned around in application. We've had customers come to us with surveys essentially needing to be redone because of the lack of detail, and then they've paid for the same thing twice. As is a good lesson in life- you get what you pay for. 

The subdivision will be around $2800 + GST which will include subdivision design, correspondence with the titles office and the Title Re-Establishment Survey.

Hopefully this helps with your questions!

Cheers,

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Thanks for Sharing Ashley! smiley

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    JacM wrote:
    Thanks for Sharing Ashley! smiley

No worries at all- glad I can shed some light on the subdivision process. Doesn't seem to be much at all available on the web.

Profile photo of PropertyGutsPropertyGuts
    Participant
    @propertyguts

thanks Ashley –  good read

Profile photo of -------——-
    Participant
    @aloha

I'm planning a three unit development Melbourne and this has been very helpful in helping me plan the process.  Thank You very much :)

Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Aloha wrote:
    I'm planning a three unit development Melbourne and this has been very helpful in helping me plan the process.  Thank You very much :)

Hi Aloha,

I'm glad you found this useful. If you needed any clarifications please feel free to ask. I'm normally floating about the forums daily :)

Profile photo of J&TJ&T
    Participant
    @jye-and-tahnee

Hi Ashley,

You're right there really are not many resources available that step you through the process of subdivision (a market for educating perhaps?). In saying that though as you've highlighted before, it can differ greatly between states and even  councils within a state.

We're in Perth – subdivision is a strategy that we may be interested in pursuing. Are there any good surveyors you know of you would recommend? 

Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Jye and Tahnee wrote:
    Hi Ashley,

You're right there really are not many resources available that step you through the process of subdivision (a market for educating perhaps?). In saying that though as you've highlighted before, it can differ greatly between states and even  councils within a state.

We're in Perth – subdivision is a strategy that we may be interested in pursuing. Are there any good surveyors you know of you would recommend? 

Hi Jye and Tahnee,

I don't know any surveyors over in Perth unfortunately. This thread is the old flowchart posted up in 2012. The new version can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3ww9ncg2bwm2kwt

I do agree that people are very keen on learning thing like this, so perhaps in the future I might have some online courses etc. Just don't have heaps of spare time! I've had fantastic feedback from this information and I'm glad that people are finding it very useful.

Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Edited: Old information

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.