All Topics / Overseas Deals / Warren Buffet on the US housing market

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46538421/

Hi all,

Just a bit of entertainment for you.

I would definetly put my money were this guys says its good to do so.

Regards,
    Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

I like that he would want a measley couple of hundred thousand homes!  He doesn't do things by halves.  Good post :)

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

Profile photo of Our adventureOur adventure
    Participant
    @our-adventure

Thank you for sharing the post, the comments below article also made for good reading and insight into how some of the American people feel.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

No worries guys,

I thought it was a good one.

I consider Buffet to be the best investor of all time.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

there was an article in the USA today or better known as Useless Today::

Anyway front page of 2 investors talking about the rental in Chicago they bought and how its better than bank rates etc.

Now with the Gov.. and Buffet  look out…..

Here is my prediction… better popular markets will start to see bidding wars… Its already happening in Atlanta, Although How low could those prices go Cricky ( or how ever  you spell it)

Pheniox central Cal  probably the better parts of Florida ( sorry Cheeves:) I am thinking major world class towns and real estate for Florida…

For any of my US buddies that will listen I started my TWH buy and Hold program 18 months ago,, and so for once in my life I was a head of the Oracle from Omaha.. ( just wish I had his capital to impliment)

Now is the time to start finding under the radar markets that are not over heated but still have good metrix, and I am not talking about 5 to 20k houses. I mean markets that have potential to grow in value, anyone here in the US can buy lemons and squeeze them for drips of cash flow ,, the real returns are buying in markets that rebound or have a chance too….

My prediction the 900 dollar cash flow rental in Atlanta will cost 25% or more wholesale this time next year if not double.
    Too much world pressure and the market there got unrealistically low….

I am buying lots like a mad dog right now.. closing everything I can get within my price point… I will be building come this time next year if not sooner…

Come on Aussies keep your dollars flowing, with the exchange and the rise in US values which are certain to come, and the potential of the lowering of the Aussie dollar to market norms you folks stand to cash in in a huge way…..And lord knows we need and love the cash investment and the money spent when you travel here…

OK off to ATlanta tomorrow myself… I guess to glimps at what was and probably what can never be… Real estate bought in the last 6 months price wise in ATL.
    <br /:)” title=”>:)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />   JLH

<moderator: delete advertising>

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks for your post Jay,

Looking to load up as much as possible.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Jay:  What are your "better markets in Florida"?  I'm curious since you don't invest or lend here.  I'm assuming you mean major metro markets?  Miami?  Tampa?  I really like Tampa's multi-family market, not single family market as much as I do Fort Myers or Cape Coral single family market.  I know your thoughts on Lehigh.  I bought a house in SW Lehigh almost a year ago for $48,000.  Minor rehab needed, about 3k worth.  Current value or what I could get retail right now is $70k…and that's a cash buyer price.  I think $100k values in SW Lehigh by this time next year.  Financing buyers are already in the 80's.

I just bought 5 lots in a row in Florida.  Cheap but in areas where home prices are skyrocketing.  Thinking of 2014 for selling or building.  Maybe even early 2013 so homes can be ready come season time.  That would exceed expectations.

Those looking to diversify into something else, multi family is going crazy right now and will continue to do so.  Get yourself a stable 9% Cap and sit on it for a bit.  Add value in a year or 2 by updating kitchens/baths….Investors are so caught up in Cap Rates in the teens.  To me, this is a waste of time because those almost always exist in ghettos.  In multi family commercial, you will get outbid, no doubt if you base your bid on a higher cap rate in a marketable area..  The market is trading at 8-10% Caps in good markets right now for C-Class.  Higher Cap means higher risk…Lower Cap means lower risk.  Just historic.  This is why the MF market is trading in different Cap Rates when buying Class A, B, or C.  New Construction (A-Class) trades at a MUCH lower Cap Rate then C-Class.  Get a good agent and buy a 6-9 unit building.  They are flying right now and rental rates expected to rise.

FYI, when shopping commercial / multi family, if you calculate anything less then 40% of your gross income as expenses, you likely don't have all the info.  ..Important to get it and that is typically done in due diligence.

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

Hey All been a way for a few days picked up 9 homes this past week.( jay the prices you mentioned $20k to $23k highest priced ) Guess hands on is hands on. I am now running the rehab for my company fired a couple contractors. My real estate partner is the opening the Loan company up. So out of the office quite a bit.

Jay I agree on Atlanta but I think Florida is a different animal all it self( still love Florida ). I will invest there for my self. Land you know I am buying all I can and holding. Just rebid on 35 Charlotte homes looking at picking 10 -15 of those.Every thing else is set to close. ( Hopefully )

Talk soon

Alex

PS going to Kuwait next ( yup another new partner coming in)

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

"Here is my prediction… better popular markets will start to see bidding wars… Its already happening in Atlanta, Although How low could those prices go Cricky ( or how ever you spell it)"

Crickey…. Jay I think you may be right.

Good deals are far and few between – lots of competition,   I also suspect that owner/occupiers are jumping into this market making it tighter to secure a property at the right price. At least we have the Aus $ heading up  up up almost –  $1.08. Time to bring the money down.

Though there will be a cut off point when the yields are no longer attractive and overseas investors will bail out??

Also, OK you buy land and hold, what about in the interim…. no rental income, that is a problem for me.

Cheers WI

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

No rental income however you sell for 5 to 10 times what you paid for it

I just bought 7 lots premeir Henry county location. Houses are in today’s market. 300k plus we snagged them for under 5k each. Will sell within 3 years at 30k plus each. Nice alternative investment. And no land lording which is worth a bunch

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,
    Engelo

Then you know little about Warren Buffet and are simply parroting what the media says.

Buffet doesn’t give a hoot about property other than it’s in his personal interests to talk up the US economy. Much of his commentary is not taken seriously by mainstream economic commentators. Buffet is more of a ‘story’ these days as opposed to some oracle. His investment company (Berkshire) accesses investment deals and has them structured favourably in ways only you and I could dream of.

If you read his commentary and watch his interviews they’re all about promoting and talking up his many investments. His comments are subjective and considerably parochial and shouldn’t be taken seriously by the average small time investor. His investment philosophy and strategies in the early days of his career on the other hand are well worth getting one’s head around.

The Freckle

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

No rental income however you sell for 5 to 10 times what you paid for it

I just bought 7 lots premeir Henry county location. Houses are in today's market. 300k plus we snagged them for under 5k each. Will sell within 3 years at 30k plus each. Nice alternative investment. And no land lording which is worth a bunch

I have been trying to buy homes in Henry County, no luck.
    So how do you secure land??  If you care to share…..

WI

Participant
    @engelorumora

Its an interesting video so I thought I would share.

Thanks for your comment tho

Freckle wrote:
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,
    Engelo

Then you know little about Warren Buffet and are simply parroting what the media says. Buffet doesn't give a hoot about property other than it's in his personal interests to talk up the US economy. Much of his commentary is not taken seriously by mainstream economic commentators. Buffet is more of a 'story' these days as opposed to some oracle. His investment company (Berkshire) accesses investment deals and has them structured favourably in ways only you and I could dream of. If you read his commentary and watch his interviews they're all about promoting and talking up his many investments. His comments are subjective and considerably parochial and shouldn't be taken seriously by the average small time investor. His investment philosophy and strategies in the early days of his career on the other hand are well worth getting one's head around. The Freckle

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of KnoxOffKnoxOff
    Participant
    @knoxoff
    Freckle wrote:

Then you know little about Warren Buffet and are simply parroting what the media says. Buffet doesn't give a hoot about property other than it's in his personal interests to talk up the US economy. Much of his commentary is not taken seriously by mainstream economic commentators. Buffet is more of a 'story' these days as opposed to some oracle. His investment company (Berkshire) accesses investment deals and has them structured favourably in ways only you and I could dream of. If you read his commentary and watch his interviews they're all about promoting and talking up his many investments. His comments are subjective and considerably parochial and shouldn't be taken seriously by the average small time investor. His investment philosophy and strategies in the early days of his career on the other hand are well worth getting one's head around. The Freckle

i love Buffet   quotes

be fearfull when the market is geedy
    and greedy  when the market is fearfull

A girl in a convertible is worth five in the phonebook

hes always  entertaining ,  he always has an opinion
    i love his books

i love his brother jimmy buffet
    and ive been to margaritaville  a few times

oh and" mainstream economic commentators " can kiss my

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,
    Engelo

Good read but seriously you know how many USA investment teams like myself will have this posted on their website. Media , marketing and Warren Buffet . Some how they are all tied together…

talk soon hope all is well remind when you are going to be in NY again

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta
    Freckle wrote:
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi all,

Regards,
    Engelo

Interesting viewpoint.l I've watched and listened to some of Buffetts interviews and some talks he has done – and yes they are actually rather general in nature. I prefer reading books about his life and analyses of his investing strategy. Very interesting and I've been trying to follow the value investing method myself

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    CheevesFinancial wrote:
    FYI, when shopping commercial / multi family, if you calculate anything less then 40% of your gross income as expenses, you likely don't have all the info.  ..Important to get it and that is typically done in due diligence.

Wow. That's alot. Can you break it down a bit?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

US investor has finally awoke… Talk to anyone one who is wholesaling properties or in the turnkey business and they will confirm competition is fierce and properties are being bid up.

As in all cycles you never know where the bottom was until your clearly up from said bottom… which is the case in I would say 90% of the better markets that have any hope for capital growth… Markets that are dead and dying will always have cash flow opportunites..

markets that have bottomed in my humble opinon.  And I do not know enough about florida to comment Maybe Cheeves can give us his impression of Ft. Myers area.

1. PHX

2. LAS  Vegas

3. Better parts of Atlanta

4. Better parts of Memphis

5. Carolinas.

6. Most of CA.

7 Pacific Northwest with exception of southern and coastal Oregon and WA. Major cities Portland and Seattle have bottomed.

Upper mid west rust belt in my mind is a constant supply, like detroit rochester and any of the big city in the real low end value homes.

Important for Aussie investor to realize is the US investor will pay double or more than what your paying for the same cash flow homes…. Now this is going to be good since you already own a bunch ( right) your exit will be profitable because you bought in 09 and 2010 and did not try to time the bottom,,,, Never the proper thing to do is timing a bottom or a top for that matter. I learned that the hard way on timing the top… If the Aussie is still going to stick to the I have to have 20% net returns.. then they will soon be shut out of these markets because those returns will not exist and actually with everything said and one I think most of the investments over time even at the low dollar purchase point will not hit the 20%… 10 to 15% possibly if everything went right which of course it always does :)   So I got a subdivison I have to go make an offer on.

31 lots bank owned heart of Portland… value at the top probably 100k plus per lot, I am offering 40k each all cash.. We will build
    250k new construction and should move through them 2 to 4  a month….. Life is so  so much better this last year than the previous 3 for us builder developer types:) just glad I made it through and can play today.

Also I just made an offer on 18 lots in Atlanta get this 1k per lot… shovel ready…. Long term hold… building is starting to come back there as well when I get about 200 lots I will open a small construciton division there and build these out.

this is were the Aussies should be looking to invest here in the future find yourself some bigger players and jump in….The high end single family that sells for nothing is going to get harder and harder to source.

JLH

JLH

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Brilliant, knowledgable post, probably worth it’s weight in gold ;)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.