All Topics / Finance / what do banks think about pregnancy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of tiger_ratiger_ra
    @tiger_ra

So what happens if i just got finance approval from the bank, but have not yet purchased the investment property….and then find out that I'm pregnant!  since in 9 months time we will drop down to a dingle income…do we have to tell the bank?

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

You are probably suppose to but what they don’t know……. You could also win the lotto between now and then or decide you want to go back to work at six weeks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Under NCCP you are required to advise the lender of any material financial change that is likkely to occur within the next 2 Years so this woulld certainly be the case here.

If however you will be on full / half pay then no reason why the deal still cant be approved as long as serviceability can be met.

Cheers

Yours in Finance.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Firstly, congrats – that's fantastic news!

As Richard said above, technically you have to disclose this info to the lender.

If you don't, just make sure that you've done your own sums to insure that you'll still be able to afford it once the bub comes along. You really don't want to be worrying about cash during these times.

All the best

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

So under the NCCP if you told the banks that you were pregnant that would take that into account but if you told them in 9 months you are getting a promotion and a 50K pay rise they would laugh in your face.

Participant
    @qlds007

fredo getting a 50K increase in your income is unlikely to be of detriment to your financial position going forward.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Congrats on the baby!

Make sure that you do tell the bank, especially if you feel you won't be able to make repayments if the bubs will affect your income

Profile photo of tiger_ratiger_ra
    @tiger_ra

Oh thanks for the cognrats….its second time round…so i know what i’ve got myself in for. I guess it may not be that big a deal to the banks considering i get 3 months paid maternity leave from my company and 10 weeks paid from the government….Is the bank really going to ask when i’m going to come back to work after the baby ie 6 weeks, 6 months or 12 months after?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yes, they will want you to provide some sort of plan in regards to how you’ll service the debt once the baby arrives. If LMI is involved and your income is a significant contribution to your borrowing capacity than it can be difficult to get approved.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of tiger_ratiger_ra
    @tiger_ra

Ok i’ll put a plan together and see what the bank says. Speaking of LMI Jamie, are you able to apply for a discount on the LMI if you get your property revalued and it shows it has gone up in the one year?

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Tiger

No hate to say NO.

LMI is charged at the time and even if you refinance 15 months later you wont get a partial refund these days.

Certainly if the property has increased in value the best you can hope to get is that the top up loan is covered under the existing LMI premium.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.