All Topics / Value Adding / Advice Need: Converting Garage to another room

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of corkerancorkeran
    Participant
    @corkeran

Hi All,

Just wanted to get people advice on what approvals would be needed to convert a garage to a self contained flat?

Cheers

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

You would need to get council approval which would mean satisying the BCA. If you give the local council a call or drop in and see the twon planner I think they would be able to help. You would probably need to get plans drawn up and submit them for approval.

Some of the things you would/might need to satisfy arE:
    -Building setbacks
    -Ventialtion
    -Fire rating and fire escape
    -Electrical safety
    -Structural certification (footings, roofs, walls etc- but a builder would be able to do many of these themselves if you got a builder involved)
    -BASIX- not sure about this one, but I would think there would be requirements for wall and roof insulation at least

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Good points Luke. The thing that brings most people unstuck are the floors (not lined to habitable condition) and ceiling height. Quick test. Stand in the garage and put your hands up. If you can touch the ceiling forget it.

Also wall lining. If it's just single brick (as most garages are) it needs to be lined. Not a deal breaker- gyprock is easy to install.

Profile photo of Shannon_tShannon_t
    @shannon_t

Hi,

I agree with Luke, you are changing the classification of the building and will therefor have to bring the garage up to standards of a dwelling. Fire rating is often an issue as garages are often light weight cladding directly on the boundary.

Council will also want to know your intensions for making it self sufficent (weather it will be rented out or not.)

Hope this helps

Profile photo of paulnpauln
    @pauln

Does the block have an easement out the back.
    The biggest mistake I see with garages is they get converted to a room and provide access through another roller door to an easement out the back. Make sure this is not the case. And also think about where you will put the windows. You can't look straight into the neighbours house if you are already built up on the boundary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.