All Topics / Help Needed! / Existing Property – SELL / BUILD DUPLEX

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of madzmadz
    Participant
    @madz

Hello Everyone,

I have a bought a property in one of the western suburbs in Sydney in 2009 with an old renovated house on a quite a big block exceptionally close to a station for $400k.

As i have been there almost 3 years now i'm weighing my options. After some research on this block I can either build a house or a duplex. I do not want to build a house as it is on a busy road. My other option is to know down and build a duplex. The current value of the block is around 500K.

On average each Duplex houses are advertised around 600K in the market.

What is the average cost to build a duplex houses with 4Bed, 2.5 Bath & 1 Garage in each house ?

Is it worth to build a duplex and go through all the efforts to make a profitable margin after selling ?

What are the factors i need to consider ?

I know I need to calculate demolition
    I know I need to calculate rent between demolition and building completion.
    I know I also need to seek a bank for the construction costs and also calcualte the interest.
    CGT?
    etc…

At the end of the day I would like to build duplex houses, sell 1 immediately upon completion and stay in the other one for another 2-3 years and then either sell or rent it out.

Profile photo of dachopperdachopper
    @dachopper

I would say the duplex would be around $400 – $450,000, but it really depends on how big it is, and the inclusions aswell, rather than how many rooms etc.

I’ve just done a 3 bed, 2 bath, double gge, alfresco back area with double sliding doors and that was around 450K

You need to pick a builder and get some quotes really before you can do the maths, one builder was quoting me over 100,000 for less of a house than another one. It pays to shop around, and I would look at the smaller builders in the poor”er” areas also. They normally have the best prices and the best tradies.

Can you fit a granny flat out the back?

May be better off putting the granny flat there first, then build the house?

Profile photo of madzmadz
    Participant
    @madz

Thank You dachopper  I will check with builders to get an idea.

In regards to granny flat – Yes I can easily fit a granny flat but my question is can you build a duplex with a granny flat behind?

I know I can build a house with granny flat but not sure with duplex.

The council allows dual occuppany on my property… I think either duplex or house with a granny flat.

Profile photo of dachopperdachopper
    @dachopper

I see, i’m not sure on that one…..

Profile photo of viralkviralk
    @viralk

Hi 400k to build both the units or one? thanks.

dachopper wrote:
    I would say the duplex would be around $400 – $450,000, but it really depends on how big it is, and the inclusions aswell, rather than how many rooms etc.

I’ve just done a 3 bed, 2 bath, double gge, alfresco back area with double sliding doors and that was around 450K

You need to pick a builder and get some quotes really before you can do the maths, one builder was quoting me over 100,000 for less of a house than another one. It pays to shop around, and I would look at the smaller builders in the poor”er” areas also. They normally have the best prices and the best tradies.

Can you fit a granny flat out the back?

May be better off putting the granny flat there first, then build the house?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.