All Topics / Help Needed! / Just bought first IP!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of laminarialeslaminariales
    Participant
    @laminariales

Hi Everyone!

I bought a house yesterday. It is purely investment, never to be PPOR.

As i am new to this i do not have a mortgage broker lined up.

So the real estate agent who sold the property of course gave my number to a mortgage broker (e-select) who called me. I thought I might as well hear what he can offer. So he is coming over tomorrow morning to discuss my options.

Is there anything i should watch out for regarding mortgage brokers or should i be pretty safe in assuming this guy will get me a decent deal? I have already been to a few banks to see what they offer/ have got pre-approval.

With regards to the loan itself, after reading up (on these forums in particular) it seems an IO loan with 100% offset account would be perfect, given that i don’t own a house, have a moderately high income, work pays for accommodation and i have no other debts. Also, i would be borrowing 90%. Does that sound about right? I would have gone with ME of the banks i visited due to a .45% interest reduction as I have superannuation with them.

Thanks in advance for help!

Regards,

Marcus

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Marcus

Congrats on your first IP.

Personally, I'd look to use a broker independent of the selling agent.

ME aren't the most competitive lender out there – from memory, their offset product is a tad on the expensive side.

There's a few decent brokers on this forum that could help.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Marcus,

Well done on you rpurchase.

As Jamie has said grab a broker who is a little more upmarket than ME.

Not sure where you live but the brokers on here do know  their stuff and having a knoweldgeable person in the brokering profession will be invaluable to you.

Why not give Jamie a call and chat – see how you go. You may be surprised to know how much business now gets conducted without the need for face to face contact.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Marcus

Jamie is being far to polite.

Do not use a Broker recommended by the Selling Agent.
    Honestly do you think it is in that Brokers interest to be acting on your behalf or his mate the local agent.
    One thing is for sure the property wont be downvalued as he will make sure that is the case or he wont get any further business from that referrer.

I would ring and cancel the appointment and then second call would be to ring Jamie.

Get an expert on your side and someone who is acting for you and not the agent selling the property.

Sure the Broker might be a nice chap, even read the books and dont the course but wont have Jamies experience.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I'd also recommend to check out other mortgage brokers, and compare them, and do not use the broker from the selling agent!

Profile photo of laminarialeslaminariales
    Participant
    @laminariales

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to go ahead with Jamie :)
    Also, the thing that made me kind of think maybe i should go down another track (and make this thread) after getting a call from the REA’s mortgage broker was how super confident he was that i would go through with his deal. After he said he’d come over to my place, i confirmed with him that i have no obligation to go with his offer and he said that he knew he would leave my place with me having chosen him as a mortgage broker. I would almost have decided against him simply for saying that. Just my thoughts.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    laminariales wrote:
    After he said he'd come over to my place, i confirmed with him that i have no obligation to go with his offer and he said that he knew he would leave my place with me having chosen him as a mortgage broker..

Very confident person. One would almost say cocky!

Methinks I would ring him and say I have found someone else because of this attitude/belief.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Good for you.

You will be in great hands with Jamie and have someone you really wants to get to know your requirements and act in your best interest.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LauryLaury
    @laury

Sorry dont have any words of wisdom for you – but congrats on the purchase

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.