All Topics / Help Needed! / First Property seminar….hmmmm not that impressed.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of boogebooge
    Participant
    @booge

Attended my first property investment seminar this morning. It was the Reno Kings 7 Killer deals presentation. I was aware that it wasn’t going to be a one stop shop to learn all you need to know, but honestly i can say i came away with pretty much nothing except being $97 poorer.

I’m not interested in how these guys earn a million bucks a year in rent and it’s tax free. Good for you! All i saw was a bit of “Who wants to make lots of money in one deal?” questions being posed to the audience. What am i supposed to be learning here??

I sound elitist here, but so many people sitting there seem so very desperate, almost climbing over each other to get a free DVD being handed out.

I left halfway through. It made me a bit more determined to be smart about it and not one of the desperates looking for big fast profits.

Has anyone attended a seminar that wasn’t a waste of time??

Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

Wow, that sounds lame. Was this today, in Sydney? I have some friends going and am curious to see what they have to say after going along.

How many folks in the audience?
    Did you get a feel that were many experienced people or all newbies?

Sounds like it might just be a motivational session. Which isn't a bad thing if that is all some folks are looking for.

But not real good if you are seeking real "how-to" knowledge.

If you are interested at the ground level of reno's, perhaps take a peek at the Everyday Property Investing site. Those guys appear to be normal folks talking and doing it. They have a podcast on itunes that is worth listening to if you want to go right back to basics. One of the presenters even has Youtube videos of her own reno. They do tend to tell it how it is, rather than try to sell you something. They do now sell mentoring services, but current intake is closed. Other than that, I can't see anything else they are selling. Which is very encouraging.

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call
    booge wrote:
    Has anyone attended a seminar that wasn't a waste of time??

Hi I went to a Michael Yardney 1 day conference in Sydney for $99 (+bring a friend for free).  There were about 200 people there.  I was cynical at first because there was certainly a plug for his mentoring program before during an after, however I had a pad and pen and had decided only to write down things I had not heard before or that clarified things for me.  After the initial rubbish I scribbled furiously and filled 15 foolscap pages.  It was excellent, and I plan to go to the same one again with a different friend. It was very educational and pitched at uni level audience, with multiple high quality speakers, (who all contribute regualraly to Aust Property Investor or Your Investment Property magazine)

See link below

http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/2012-events/national-property-and-economic-market-update/

Profile photo of boogebooge
    Participant
    @booge

I was at the Melbourne seminar this morning. This wasn’t informative for me at all, I was glancing at the lady next to me wondering what the hell she was actually scribbling down!! When she was writing there wasn’t any actual information being told! The one thing i did learn was that most (75%) of properties advertised as development sites STCA can’t actually ever be developed for many reasons. Thats about all i got.

I had a giggle halfway through, it sort of reminded me of the Simpsons episode where the guy running the dodgy pyramid investment seminar asks, “WHO WANTS TO GET RICH TODAY??” with the audience jumping out of their seats.

I always listen to Everyday property investors podcasts, i find it interesting because they talk about how they’ve done it in plain language without the big motivational sell.

I’m thinking of buying the Your Property Success DVD’s by Jane Slack-Smith. She seems to speak common sense.

I was contemplating the Michael Yardney seminar in March, but after this one I’m not so sure I want to part with another $100!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I'm going to the Reno Kings one tomorrow. I do hope it's not a waste of time.

I do reno's myself already and thought I might get some useful info on how to take it to the next step. I currently buy, reno, hold but would like to go part time at work and do at least one buy, reno sell a year.
    I will report back tomorrow night. I'll be saying something to them if it's crap though. Just realised it's only 4 hours and $97 for 2 so not cheap.

I find the Think and Grow Rich is OK for beginners. There s the pressure sell but there are interesting speakers and you get books and DVD's for free (without having to climb over people to get them). They give them out as you enter after the breaks (to everyone).

The Property show that was in Sydney last year (and 2010) were good. Listen to the speakers in the theatres.

Participant
    @booge

You might get something out of it. Hopefully they didn’t have the good info after i left! The 7 killer property deals they talk about are the ones on their website, in a little more detail.

Maybe I’m a harsh judge, but when they’re getting people to raise their hands if they think “$1,000,000 a year tax free in rental income is a good deal?” or “Who’d like to make $200,000 in 6 hours by subdividing a block of land?” I found it a little demeaning.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

I go to may seminars and they are all a big sales pitch. Some are very pushy with no content and just sell. The worst seminar I have been to so far was LIVE OUT LOAD with Loral Langemeier and one of the best I would have to say would be with Wilson Luna. Both of these were more business orientated tho.

Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    booge wrote:
    I always listen to Everyday property investors podcasts, i find it interesting because they talk about how they've done it in plain language without the big motivational sell. I'm thinking of buying the Your Property Success DVD's by Jane Slack-Smith. She seems to speak common sense. I was contemplating the Michael Yardney seminar in March, but after this one I'm not so sure I want to part with another $100!

I know and can vouch for Jane. She's a terrific investor and really knows her stuff.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

yup…..I feel your pain.
    A few years back I went to the Dale Beumont 'Secrets of Property Millionarires' one day conference, because as it had a star studded line up, and speakers that had a diverse range of backgrounds and techniques, I thought it would have to be pretty good.
    Much the same as I have heard from yours and most others….it is just a 'teaser'. From the 1st talk onw, at the end of each person they said something like ' and the first 300 people here (I think there was only 250!!!) who identify themsleves at the counter in the foyer, can receives my special (insert topic etc blah blah) home study CD program that is worth $15,000, reduced to just $5000, and for today only a red hot $2999. There was positively a stampede on each occasion.
    I went home feeling similar to yourself, and in all honesty wondering how many people sign up for 'BOot Camps' at $7999 'today only' and come away with anything either?

That's my 1sr and last seminar Booge!

Cheers

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Yeah, I find seminars to be a waste of time. I don't like having to physically travel soemwhere and then be stuck if I find the seminar boring, or an annoying sales pitch.

I prefer reading books or watching DVDs. If I find that the author/speaker is wasting my time, I can easily swtich it off, and it was all done at home.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    booge wrote:
    Attended my first property investment seminar this morning. It was the Reno Kings 7 Killer deals presentation. I was aware that it wasn't going to be a one stop shop to learn all you need to know, but honestly i can say i came away with pretty much nothing except being $97 poorer. I'm not interested in how these guys earn a million bucks a year in rent and it's tax free. Good for you! All i saw was a bit of "Who wants to make lots of money in one deal?" questions being posed to the audience. What am i supposed to be learning here?? I sound elitist here, but so many people sitting there seem so very desperate, almost climbing over each other to get a free DVD being handed out. I left halfway through. It made me a bit more determined to be smart about it and not one of the desperates looking for big fast profits. Has anyone attended a seminar that wasn't a waste of time??

Here in the states years ago I went to every real estate I could afford or was close by. I finally came to the conclusion that I would search out seminars that could affect my bottom line. So Needless to say been to alot, used to buy any material I could. Now flip to today's time.I still attend seminars and I run them my self. Information seminars ( They are still sales pitches )I always try to find one or two things I can use to my existing real estate dealing. Here in the States alot of seminars are in Florida and Vegas.So I can make a  vacation trip out of it for my wife and I.  Reading books and doing the work it self seem to make up for it in the long run.

Hope this helps

Alex
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Not all seminars and property evenings are teasers, plenty are though and aren't worth your time attending. As long as you keep the credit card at home and don't pay anything more than a few hundred dollars (at most) then it's not a bad way to learn and make up your own mind on what's out there. If the seminar motivates you to take calculated action then it's likely worth it, otherwise it probably isn't!

Profile photo of Pat007Pat007
    @pat007
    v8ghia wrote:
    From the 1st talk onw, at the end of each person they said something like ' and the first 300 people here (I think there was only 250!!!) who identify themsleves at the counter in the foyer, can receives my special (insert topic etc blah blah) home study CD program that is worth $15,000, reduced to just $5000, and for today only a red hot $2999. There was positively a stampede on each occasion.

And that right there is where they make their money, the returns on property for the same time and effort / risk are pale in comparison.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Reading these posts it would appear as if some of the names mentioned have joined the 'platform speaking' industry.

It uses a very formulaic seminar structure to create a sense of urgency so you race off and buy the product that is heavily discounted and only available to the audience and only for the first X number of people who come up with cash to buy the latest you beaut package.

Participant
    @booge

I’m taking the plunge again! Nathan Birch is having an investment night. This one’s free and less than 2km from my house. I figured i’ve got nothing to lose but time on this one.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    booge wrote:
    I'm taking the plunge again! Nathan Birch is having an investment night. This one's free and less than 2km from my house. I figured i've got nothing to lose but time on this one.

Nathan's an inspiration. AND he doesn't push for sign ups and the like.

Well here's my take on the Reno Kings 7 Killer deals presentation. Small room (200). They said it was oversold but it wasn't full.
    It opened up with 2 guys running SCREAMING, rev up stuff. Reminded me of The little Doer "WHERE DO YOU GET IT!". That was turn off. I know it's supposed to rev people up. The deals they had done were interesting in the fact that they showed what might have been a sticking point. That to me was valuable because most people just tell how they did it and what was good.

Then Geoff Doidge came on (SCREAMING as he came down the aisle). As you can probably tell by now- I hate screaming. He was supposed to be on for half an hour (in which time he earnt $67 from his investments???). For the first 10 minutes he went on and on about his first tenant (BIKIES!!!) and how they had grease in the house and didn't mow the grass on and on and on. My note pad says boring. STILL going on. And I posted a message on Facebook while he was talking about how I wish I was outside in the park that I could see from the window).
    Finally he got to the bit about earning $1,065,025pa in rent and paid NO tax. They kept mentioning this, and the fact that he has $27m in property.
    So in the end he earned $1,230,000 gross. He paid $946,000 in interest. So actually he only earned $284,000 net income. So factor in depreciation etc which is why he paid no tax.

Morning tea was nice pasties. More about the 7 deals. I learned a bit here about pitfalls which was incitefull. So was it worth the $48.50 (half with friend $97) and half a day of my life? Not really. I think if it's a speil for their course they shouldn't be charging for it.
    They couldn't even give away a book. They kept waving their books around. One lady answered their question and they put the book on the table. One of the other guys said "I think she wanted the book". He ummed and aghhed then reluctantly gave it to her.
    Seminars I've been to always give away their books (even if it's a free seminar).

And who was the guy sitting out the front at the desk???

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

You will get some great content from Nathan's seminar. He is always happy to have a chat after also.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Participant
    @booge

That Reno Kings Sydney show is pretty much word for word what happened in Melbourne. Even the “unscripted banter”.

Reminded me of an Amway type seminar i was dragged along to years ago, lot’s of desperate people prepared to throw their money at someone who gives them a supposed way out of working 9 to 5.

These Reno Kings guys are there to make money more than help anyone.

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    booge wrote:
    That Reno Kings Sydney show is pretty much word for word what happened in Melbourne. Even the "unscripted banter". Reminded me of an Amway type seminar i was dragged along to years ago, lot's of desperate people prepared to throw their money at someone who gives them a supposed way out of working 9 to 5. These Reno Kings guys are there to make money more than help anyone.

Seminars take them for what they are worth.I do the real estate seminars in the USA . Speaking some times and setting up booths other times. Education is the key to being involved in any business or trade. So I like to go and see what other real estate investors are doing.Rule one ..Leave you credit card at home..Rule two … Do not sign your email or numbers any where they ask..Rule three …Let them know you will contact them if any interest..Rule 4 ..This is me being funny if first 15 minutes are boring usually so will the next 45 minutes.Leave early and head to the bar.Really though seminars are what they area hidden sales pitches..One of the radio shows I did here in the states prided them sales on no sales. They did not tell you that once you singed up for more information .They gave that information to the ones selling the properties..Again just my two cents

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Hi Booge,

when is Nathan Birch's investment night ?

I would like to attend

Taylor

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.