All Topics / Legal & Accounting / selling aus property from overseas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of birtbirt
    Participant
    @birt

Hi

I want to sell my Sydney property but I cannot return to Australia, I live in the UK.

My question is how do I know which solicitor to use? I have contacted some solicitors in Sydney who can do everything on my behalf but how can I trust them?

The agent I will use to sell my property I cannot trust, they are a bunch of cowboys but I must use this agent to sell. How then do I know that the solicitor I use wont just gang up with the agent selling the property and take all the cash from the sale and disappear?

please any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. I cannot change to another agent to sell.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Any deposit or proceeds etc will be held in a trust account – either a solicitors or real estate agents. There are stringent rules regarding trust monies. So it would be very unlikely that a solicitor would take the money – but it does happen sometimes. All solicitors carry insurance, so if you do suffer a loss you can make a claim against the solicitor and/insurnace.

You should be able to do most things via post such as signing documents etc. Or, you could appoint the solicitor or someone else as you attorney to sign documents on your behalf – probably not necessary.

I have bought and sold many properties interstate without ever meeting anyone – never seen the agent, solcitor, buyer or even the property. Your situation would be similar, just a bit longer in distance.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Pat007Pat007
    @pat007

These guys often trade off their reputation.
    Pick someone your comfortable with who has been established in their area for a long time to avoid any "fly by night" types who are here today and in spain tomorrow.

searches on their ABN should show when their company was first listed.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Birt,

Change you solicitor – send Terry a PM.

If handling contracts is not Terry's area of expertise I can recommend a solicitor in NSW. Check with Terry first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.