All Topics / Help Needed! / Splitting exsisting Duplex?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Hi Guys,
    I did a search but could not see an answer to my question.

I own both sides of a duplex and I wanted to sell one side and pay down the loan.

Does anyone know what i need to do to achieve this?
     Bare in mind this duplex was built in the 70's. So do I need to do things like fire proofing and and title strata?

Doesnt anyone have a link on some info that would be a great help, thanks.

G

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi there,

first thing to do is ring council and ask for some guidance.  next stop would be a surveyor.

jac

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

You definitely need to strata title the duplex . To achieve this you will have to satisfy local council planning requirements. This entails engaging a town planner and a surveyor who is familiar with the process. You could try to use the local council planning staff to help you with valid information as to the process of approval. You will also have to pay section 94 contributions. In my local area it will cost up to 35k depending on the number of bedrooms above the original allowance for the site.

So,
    1) Consult planners to ensure compliance
    2) Engage surveyor to draw up plan of subdivision
    3) Lodge plan with council for approval
    4) Engage solicitor to handle registering title at Land Titles Office

The stratas I have done range between 5 – 7k (surveying, council fees, legals, and registration) and the council contributions have ranged between 14 – 32k. You may be also up for some work to comply with council codes regarding fire and safety.

There is a possibility that it may prove uneconomical if there are substantial works involved to comply with council.

Good luck,

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar

most importantly you will need a fire wall to be built if one is not there, approx 10k if cavity roof

Profile photo of g0biing0biin
    @g0biin

Yeh not sure it would be worth it, starting to sound like the costs will add up and the sale might just break even ! Thanks for the info guys.

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian
    g0biin wrote:
    Yeh not sure it would be worth it, starting to sound like the costs will add up and the sale might just break even !

No point assuming this. It would be well worth investigating just in case. Strata titling is a great way to make serious money – especially when the land values are high. What would the block of dirt be worth if it was vacant land?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Rockian, have provided an excellent summary.

Just note – section 94 contributions cost diff council to council..it ranges from $2k- 40k+

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.