All Topics / Help Needed! / Help please

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of steve3110steve3110
    @steve3110

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can recommend me a good accountant or financial planner here in Perth with property experience… I'm a newbie to this sort of thing but I'm trying to educate myself.

I am considering purchasing an I/P but am a little confused with the process of using equity from PPOR to do it, how much would be a sensible amount to spend on an I/P, how not to cross collateralize etc

Hence I  thought speaking with a professional would make good sense

My current situation

PPOR 360k….My mortgage 260k

Have around 20k cash

I plan to rent out my current PPOR and change to I/O as I'm planning to share accommodation

I wish to purchase an I/P or at least a plan to move forward with

My income is around 120k 

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards
    Steve

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    steve3110 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can recommend me a good accountant or financial planner here in Perth with property experience… I'm a newbie to this sort of thing but I'm trying to educate myself.

I am considering purchasing an I/P but am a little confused with the process of using equity from PPOR to do it, how much would be a sensible amount to spend on an I/P, how not to cross collateralize etc

Hence I  thought speaking with a professional would make good sense

My current situation

PPOR 360k….My mortgage 260k

Have around 20k cash

I plan to rent out my current PPOR and change to I/O as I'm planning to share accommodation

I wish to purchase an I/P or at least a plan to move forward with

My income is around 120k 

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards
    Steve

The questions you are asking you could easily get from a investment minded Mortgage broker; as the questions are more directed towards investing in property and how you can structure your loan to draw out the equity in a tax efficient way + what your borrowing capacity is + if you should cross your loans or not ( short answer to this is no 95% of the time).

Plenty of good investment minded brokers on this forum, else ask your friends or family if they have used any brokers in the past they would like to recommend.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @shape

Just answering some quick concerns you may have Steve.

1. Your income is quite high, so your probably paying quite a heft tax every year ( which is a good problem to have ^^)
    2. It’s good that your thinking of changing your loan to I/O
    3. I would suggest an offset account as well, to offset your PPOR debt in a tax friendly way
    4. You have roughly $28,000 equity that you can draw out without the need of LMI – HOW you draw this out is VERY important as it will have some impact on how you can claim the tax.
    5. The next IP i would suggest you leverage as much as possible, and keep any spare cash against your PPOR offset
    6. Don’t cross, in fact in your situation you won’t need to. no matter what the banks tell you.
    7. Loan Structure is key

– How much you can borrow/ afford to buy/invest, will depend on many factor’s that i won’t bother listing here…

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI Steve,

Michael has covered a lot of key details in his responses – if you feel the need to talk with someone face to face, while I don't live in Perth I am in Perth this weekend on my way to Sydney. Happy to chat over coffee somewhere.

Profile photo of steve3110steve3110
    @steve3110

Thank you Michael for your advice

My concerns are more the big picture of my financial outlook for the future. I don't have a clear direction yet. I'm less concerned with being able to access finance but more interested in proceeding forward knowing exactly where I'm going and being as efficient as I can along the way.

I have seen  a couple of accountants and one wanted to sell me an Amway plan (Im not kidding) and the other said yeah just buy a property and negative gear. They both knew how to charge very well..I have no issue paying for a professional…I'm a firm believer that some things are best left to the experts until I learn the skills I need

No offense to anyone doing Amway :)

Cheers
    Steve

Participant
    @shape

Accountants selling Amway plans hey…business MUST be tough lol.

On a serious note, 20% of a investment minded broker’s job is to find a suitable lender to access finance, the another 80% is loan structure, planning, working out which way method achieve a higher tax benefit, lodging Governments Grants, cost to tax benefit comparisons ( LMI and leveraging) and proving recommendation on timing and property investing should the question arise. Let’s face you need money to make money…and money smells better if its not yours…but the bank + it’s tax deducible especially for high income earners

But i get where your coming from, you need direction “overall/ bigger picture”; speaking to a financial planner may help; but honestly i have a feeling you may be disappointed also, as FP makes money from selling you Financial products + some money from providing advice- that’s how they make the big money….they hardly make any money form giving you “advice” only.

So the question is, are you ready to take up a financial product, including property investing ( which is a product itself), or are you after advice/ direction only at this point in time ( which is more then fine)??

This weekend, sit down and write and think about the following:
    1. What do you want to achieve in the next 3 years?
    2. What do you want to achieve in the next 5 years?
    3. What are your strenght and weakness -financially speaking + information wise
    4. Any goals you MUST reach within the next 3,5,10 years?

5. How stable is your job? ( might be high income now…but you never know)
    6. can you see yourself in this job for the next 3 years? or at least maintain this sort of pay + same work type?
    7. Do a budgeting costing sheet
    8. Do you expect kids, major expenses , marriage etc…in the next 3,5,10 years?
    9. Work out how much tax you paid in the last 2 years?, just look at your tax assessment

After you get this “brain storm” running, do some research+ speak to another like minded investors or friends, and see how you go. ONLY Then will i suggest you speak to a FP and a accountant- as you will have a better idea of what you need/what at this point in time = much easier for them experts to plan accordingly + it makes more sense.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@steve3110

Thank you Michael for your insight, I will sit down and do that. Sounds like a good start. Forgive my ignorance about what a broker can do

Steve

@steve3110

Hi Derek

PM sent . I missed your reply apologies

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I agree with the above posters. I wasted MANY hours doing the financial planner run around. In the end ALL just tried pushing me into the product they were getting commissions from. Even when one who said he was into property investing- still no joy.

Getting the structure right is important. As is having a goal.

Networking is also a great way to learn what others are doing.

Get yourself a good, property savvy accountant to ensure you are claiming everything you are entitled to.

Ask questions as you go. There's always something else to learn. Have you read any property books? There are many great ones.

Profile photo of AnthonyBAnthonyB
    Participant
    @anthonyb

Hi Steve,

Depending on where you are located in Perth here is a few property savvy accountants we've come across:

Paula Durrant @ Durrant's Accounting Services – Level 1, 256 Fitzgerald Street, Perth Ph: 9228 4622
    Chris Hanson @ Gannon Hanson Hamersley – Suite 25, 199 Balcatta Road, Balcatta Ph: 9240 5340
    Noel McKenney @ Noel McKenney & Co – 813 Wellington Street, West Perth Ph: 9322 6266

If you let me know your specific area, I may be able to point you in the direction of someone closer.

I hope this helps,

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    steve3110 wrote:
    Hi Derek

PM sent . I missed your reply apologies

Tis OK – I am a middle child.

PS – not really but it was the first quip I could think of.

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

Hi Steve,

The problem with getting advice from a FP (even a fee for service advisor) is that they are not allowed to give direct property advice. Their dealer group won't have it as a licensed product and if they do give advice on it, and it hits the fan, they will be left with the bucket. Hence why they will always pitch you on exchange traded property trusts (this is a licensed property product).

A FP can provide you with a structured savings / investment plan. I have seen many of these from $500 to $5000 and they all make assumptions. The problem with assumptions is that no one can predict the future so you need to always be updating these plans (adding to the cost). These plans aren't a bad thing but they will only help you with budgeting for the year etc. If that's all you're after get the PIA software.

If you want actual strategic advice on where to buy, when, how much to pay and so on. That is where a buyers' agent comes into the mix. <moderator: delete advertising>

@steve3110

Yes at this point in time a plan/structure is the go. Im happy to move forward once a direction is clear based on my circumstances. I guess everyone will have some bias towards there own beliefs be it a property investment or some other structured investment. I think it was Kiyosaki who mentioned about surrounding himself with the right people, that what im aiming for. We all know what we know well…and until such time I will educate and do what I can to learn. Yes I have been doing a lot of reading and it can be a little overwhelming in terms of whats the best way forward…anyways Im rabbiting on…thanks for the input

Catalyst wrote:
    I agree with the above posters. I wasted MANY hours doing the financial planner run around. In the end ALL just tried pushing me into the product they were getting commissions from. Even when one who said he was into property investing- still no joy.

Getting the structure right is important. As is having a goal.

Networking is also a great way to learn what others are doing.

Get yourself a good, property savvy accountant to ensure you are claiming everything you are entitled to.

Ask questions as you go. There's always something else to learn. Have you read any property books? There are many great ones.

@steve3110

Hi Anthony

Thank you for the recommendations, just what I'm looking for. I'm SOR  (6147) but I really don't mind traveling for the right advice

Cheers

AnthonyB wrote:
    Hi Steve,

Depending on where you are located in Perth here is a few property savvy accountants we've come across:

Paula Durrant @ Durrant's Accounting Services – Level 1, 256 Fitzgerald Street, Perth Ph: 9228 4622
    Chris Hanson @ Gannon Hanson Hamersley – Suite 25, 199 Balcatta Road, Balcatta Ph: 9240 5340
    Noel McKenney @ Noel McKenney & Co – 813 Wellington Street, West Perth Ph: 9322 6266

If you let me know your specific area, I may be able to point you in the direction of someone closer.

I hope this helps,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.