All Topics / Legal & Accounting / What type of trust for new IP’s?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Peterc01Peterc01
    Participant
    @peterc01

Hi all, I require some help with setting up a new trust.

Currently I have a business which is run under a family trust with a corporate trustee, with myself being the sole director of the company.

My wife and i have a IP which used to be our PPOR in our own names.

We are looking at aquiring positive IP's, however I am not sure what setup I should use, as i want to keep the business seperate from our properties. 

Should we set up another trust with a different corporate trustee?? (if so what kind of trust would it be, as we already have a family trust in place)

Or

Should we set up just a company for the new Ip's?

Our end goal is to live off the income from the IP's in the future. 

Any help/comment would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Peter

Profile photo of mike hmike h
    Participant
    @mike-h

Hi Peter,

Companies are not recommended to hold investment properties, mainly because they do not receive the 50% CGT discount.

In terms of tax planning and asset protection trusts are a far more flexible option. Generally you should keep your business and investments separate to prevent them being exposed to litigation, so you may wish to consider setting up a separate trust.

The pros/cons of using a discretionary trust are:
    1. Flexibility in terms of tax planning and minimisation when distributing profits from the trust.
    2. Enhanced asset protection.
    3. If the trust makes a loss, it is trapped in the trust and cannot be used to offset income until the trust makes a profit (unlike holding a property individually, for example, where you can offset the loss against your salary etc).

To use a trust you would need the property to be positively geared (or expect it to be within the next few years) otherwise you will have tax losses accumulating within the trust and being wasted.

There is also the option of using a unit trust. However, you lose the flexibility of choosing where to distribute profits as the income of the trust must go to the unitholders, and the units are assets which could be exposed if you are sued. The benefit of a unit trust is it can allow you to negatively gear if you set it up correctly.

In the end it comes down to your personal circumstances and objectives – I would definitely recommend speaking to your accountant before making a decision.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Since you have a business in a trust already you could look at a new discretionary trust. If there are any losses then the business trust could distribute to the new trust to offset these losses and this may reduce your personal taxable income. You need to be careful when doing this – especially with vesting dates of the trust. So seek advice.

You would also be aware that using a trust may result in more land tax being payable – especially in NSW as the trust gets no tax free threshold so you may pay aprox 1.6% pa extra.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Peterc01Peterc01
    Participant
    @peterc01

Thanks for the replies.

Would you suggest setting up a 2nd discretionary trust with myself as trustee or a company as trustee?? ( which do you think would be best from an asset protection point of view? )

Regardless I will seek advise from my accountant before setting anything up.

Thanks
    Peter

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Asset protection = company because of the limited liability.

If the trustee is sued the trust assets will be at risk, if these are not enough to satisfy any judgment then the personal assets of the trustee will be at risk.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.