All Topics / Finance / Interest rate discounts for big borrowers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of andy28andy28
    Participant
    @andy28

Lenders often offer off-the-shelf interest rate discounts for borrowers of larger amounts. For example, the Commonwealth Bank offers their Wealth Package with different tiers of discounts, maxing-out at 0.7% discount for borrowing $500,000 or more.

I really don’t believe that this is the real maximum discount though. I would like to know what kind of volume discounts individuals are currently achieving, for balances over $1 million, $5 million, $10 million etc., from the Big Four banks.

Can anyone here comment from their own direct experience? Thanks

Andy

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The best I have acheived was 1.1% off for a loan of about $1.5mil – but this was a few years ago now.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately CBA has gone backwards with their discount margin in the last 1-2 months; due to their so call “funding cost”
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/shape-home-loans/cba-cut-back-on-discounts-for-new-lending/331426753534241

Having said that- another banks are still offering massive discounts- up to 1% discount as standard; and more for higher borrowing.
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/blog/january-2012-interest-rates-2012010372

Anything over $2 m with LVR under 75% with location 1 or 2 security – a discount of 1.05-1.15% is possible depending on the bank.
    If your a doctor, practicing CPA ( over 5 years) , executive ( medium-large company) or a trading client ( self employed over 7 years) then expect the discount to be even higher!

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

We've just been approved for a 0.9% discount with Westpac on a loan of over $800000 but the broker is hitting them up for 1% because the LVR is only at 42% – Worth a shot.

Participant
    @shape
    rusty05 wrote:
    We've just been approved for a 0.9% discount with Westpac on a loan of over $800000 but the broker is hitting them up for 1% because the LVR is only at 42% – Worth a shot.

The big red is one of the hardest lender to neg on discounts + they have the highest SVR…i guess you pay a prem to be the first bank of Aus.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

@rusty05

Shape,
    Funnily enough it was the one bank I initally refused to go to because of a previous customer service issue … but given the complexity of our purchase (primary production on a residential loan, etc) they were the best this time round for us, the 0.9% brought us down to not much less that where we hoped to be originally. 

I agree 1% is an ask but we'll see :)

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    rusty05 wrote:

on $800K you should be getting 1%. I'm getting 1% on less than $800K with both Comm and St George.

@rusty05

I'll keep you posted!

Profile photo of Ellie DiazEllie Diaz
    @ellie-diaz

Hi Andy28

we are getting 1% on loans totally just under $600k so you should definitely get more than 0.9%

I would renegotiate if you can. if not right away once your loans are settled and you have proven your credit worth.

good luck!

Participant
    @shape
    rusty05 wrote:
    Shape,
    Funnily enough it was the one bank I initally refused to go to because of a previous customer service issue … but given the complexity of our purchase (primary production on a residential loan, etc) they were the best this time round for us, the 0.9% brought us down to not much less that where we hoped to be originally. 

I agree 1% is an ask but we'll see :)

Well if that is the case, i would be happy with 0.90% :)

Yes 1% + is possible…but as you said given your unique security ( primary production); it wont be easy to switch lender on a residential rate.
    Keep us posted.

Regards
    Michael

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Also what you have to bear in mind that 1% off the SVR with Wesuck is actually higher than 1% off the SVR with the other majors as their benchmark rate is higher.

I would be wanting 1.06% discount..

In saying all of this it depends on the loan and lvr.

At 250K and lvr of say 75% or less you should be getting circa 1.2 – 1.25% discount.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty
    rusty05 wrote:

12 months ago my broker put my loan out for tender , Got     2.0  discount on a  westpac commercial loan 0f 600000 wit h  50%  LVR  but the fees are high so need to be 75% drawn to be worthwhile.  Yet another broker told me  I couldnt  qualify for a loan.  CBA didnt  offer a  quote.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Qlds007 wrote:
    I would be wanting 1.06% discount..

We organised this for a client recently on total borrowings of $750k + with a low LVR.

That said though – WBC can be difficult to negotiate with.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Really a Bank being difficult now thats a first at the moment.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of andy28andy28
    Participant
    @andy28
    Profile photo of jonmardelljonmardell
    @jonmardell

A few months ago we were able to get 1.1% or more from westpac for loans above 1 million but in the last week the best we have been able to get is 1.07% discount

andy28 wrote:
    Lenders often offer off-the-shelf interest rate discounts for borrowers of larger amounts. For example, the Commonwealth Bank offers their Wealth Package with different tiers of discounts, maxing-out at 0.7% discount for borrowing $500,000 or more.

I really don’t believe that this is the real maximum discount though. I would like to know what kind of volume discounts individuals are currently achieving, for balances over $1 million, $5 million, $10 million etc., from the Big Four banks.

Can anyone here comment from their own direct experience? Thanks

Andy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.