All Topics / Value Adding / Building Under existing house.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of balniksbalniks
    Participant
    @balniks

Hi guys,

I have a fair amount of space under my house, plan to build in underneath to make it fully self contained. It's got an existing deck kind of thing there, and just needs dirt to be dug out so it's level.

Basically i'd like to know where to start/who to start with? Should i hit up the council first with plans, see a planner for plans, stumper, concreter, builder, etc. I want to get termite treatment done also, which i'm guessing should be done early.

Anyone with advice, stories,  or help would be cool!

Thanks!

Profile photo of moxi10moxi10
    Participant
    @moxi10

Hi balniks

I would suggest getting a builder around to have a look first. He can assess your situation and give you an idea about what is possible or not possible. Judging by your mention of the "deck kind of thing" I get the impression your plans could benefit from the input of an experienced builder with practicle knowledge. After talking to the builder, you may have new ideas, and definitely a better understanding of what your intentions are prior to approaching council, a planner, or other tradesmen. As a carpenter myself, I'm well aware that the man on the job with the practicle experience is the best person to make initial judgement on the feaseability of ideas.

Cheers, Tony 

Profile photo of Shannon_tShannon_t
    @shannon_t

Hi balniks,

I would suggest getting a designer to do some sketches which will allow you to take drawings to council and discuss your potential application with them.

The termite protection would be part of the 'scope of works.' If there is already tremite damage I would suggest to get it properly accessed to determine what repaires are required.

I also agree with Tony that getting someone with practical experience is the best way to go.

Profile photo of paulnpauln
    @pauln

Get a designer/architect involved first. They can check your plot ratio (as you are adding Floor area) and investigate your house to come up with a solution for you. If you build underneath apart from termite protection, waterproofing and structural advice may also be required.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.