All Topics / Overseas Deals / Where do I start?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of maternicmaternic
    @maternic

G'day all,

I have been browsing through the overseas forums over the last couple of days, and getting very intrested from what ive read.
    Although I need a point in the right direction regarding purchasing property in America.
    Basically where do I start? Who do I need to speak to to get more information? 
    I look forward to hearing some advice, thanks in advance.
    Nick

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Wassup Nick,

It depends if you want cash flow properties or long term capital gains on a property u will hold for a while.  I like to do a mix of both and do most of my investing in the midwest ( the central states of america) and florida.  I can help you with these areas if you like.  It's fairly easy to obtain the properties and just takes a good real estate agent.  Hit me up if u would like to talk more, facebook or email.

Kyler Rice
    [email protected]

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora
    maternic wrote:
    G'day all,

I have been browsing through the overseas forums over the last couple of days, and getting very intrested from what ive read.
    Although I need a point in the right direction regarding purchasing property in America.
    Nick

Hi Maternic,

Spot the successful investors on the forum and ask them questions. Im sure if you keep reading you will be able to figure out who they are. Be very careful as not everyone is genuine with there advice and there are people out there looking to make a quick buck of novice investors. I suggest you attend a few US seminars were you can learn the basics. Dont sign up to what they are selling tho. In my opinion were most investors go wrong is that they focus too much on location and not enough on the people that will be looking after there investments on a day to day basis. I have invested in Rochester New York and my investments have been performing very well due to the team I have establsihed there. My strategy is to build up cashflow before I start venturing into other locations were there is more potentail for capital growth once the US market recovers. Once again focus on building relationships with people because they will be the ones that will make or break your investment doesnt matter were you decide to invest.

Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    engelo10 wrote:
    maternic wrote:
    G'day all,

Nick

Hi Maternic,

Spot the successful investors on the forum and ask them questions. Im sure if you keep reading you will be able to figure out who they are. Be very careful as not everyone is genuine with there advice and there are people out there looking to make a quick buck of novice investors. I suggest you attend a few US seminars were you can learn the basics.

This is good advice as I do the same and I am from the USA go to quite a few events yearly to see what else every one else is doing in this business.

Dont sign up to what they are selling tho. In my opinion were most investors go wrong is that they focus too much on location and not enough on the people that will be looking after there investments on a day to day basis.

So true a house is a house and numbers are numbers but most important is finding a team that is compatible to your investment needs.

I have invested in Rochester New York and my investments have been performing very well due to the team I have establsihed there. My strategy is to build up cashflow before I start venturing into other locations were there is more potentail for capital growth once the US market recovers.( cash flow is king in today market if it is working for you why change it )  Once again focus on building relationships with people because they will be the ones that will make or break your investment doesnt matter were you decide to invest. That is why networking and meeting the teams who offer services is so important..

Good advice Engelo

Sincerely
    Alex
    [email protected]

Engelo

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Alex,

You're right "Cashflow Is King". Thanks for the heads up.

Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

You should put that on your business card Engelo.

Participant
    @engelorumora

hahahahahahaha

I will

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @alex-sc
    engelo10 wrote:
    Hi Alex,

Engelo

[/quote]Engelo

How are you? Yes to me appreciation= speculation and Cash flow = cash Flow .Very simple way of looking at today's real estate market . I do agree some  market will eventually come back. I am  just not sold on the time period every one else is saying. I am sure I will miss out on some deals down the road because of my cautious approach. I also feel that it is a safer play  in today's real estate market.So I am not trying to line up all my investment properties with that idea for appreciation.  This is where diversification comes in. 

As always just my two cents..

Alex

Profile photo of maternicmaternic
    @maternic

thanks for all your input guys, does anyone have any companies that they have worked with and recommend i get in contact with?

Participant
    @engelorumora
    Alex SC wrote:
    engelo10 wrote:
    Hi Alex,

Engelo

Engelo

How are you? Yes to me appreciation= speculation and Cash flow = cash Flow .Very simple way of looking at today's real estate market . I do agree some  market will eventually come back. I am  just not sold on the time period every one else is saying. I am sure I will miss out on some deals down the road because of my cautious approach. I also feel that it is a safer play  in today's real estate market.So I am not trying to line up all my investment properties with that idea for appreciation.  This is where diversification comes in. 

Alex

[/quote]

Yep,

We dont know when the market will recover, and the numbers in a deal never lie. I would suggest for every 5 cash cow properties maybe speculate with one property with potential for capital gain.

Alex,

Where do you think is a good spot to buy in the US for potential for capital growth when market recovers?

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @engelorumora
    maternic wrote:
    thanks for all your input guys, does anyone have any companies that they have worked with and recommend i get in contact with?

Hi Maternic,

Shoot an email to [email protected] and I am more than happy to share my experience

Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @alex-sc
    engelo10 wrote:
    Alex SC wrote:
    engelo10 wrote:
    Hi Alex,

Engelo

Engelo

Alex

Yep,

We dont know when the market will recover, and the numbers in a deal never lie. I would suggest for every 5 cash cow properties maybe speculate with one property with potential for capital gain.

Alex,

Where do you think is a good spot to buy in the US for potential for capital growth when market recovers?

Engelo

That should, and would  be the million dollar question /answer for  the new year .I  sure wish I could give an exact answer but again I think it is more speculation and hope then anything thing else.What we can say are prices are still dropping in some areas.

USA ,and International clients are buying for cash flow today. We are all waiting and watching. Right now I am focusing for myself and my clients is Charlotte NC and surrounding 60 mile radius. I am just not as optimistic like others that say 5 years we should be good. From everything I see , hear and feel. I think this could be 7 to 10 and that is being  hope full.

What  does worry me  for example in Atlanta  and some other markets. Is when all properties in a certain area are foreclosures. It will  turn the neighborhood into a rental area reducing the resale value down the road. Who would buy that house down the road in a rental neighborhood. Now on the other hand if we do set up owner financing for these renters. This could be a different play for those homes on 5 , 10 year notes.

For me it is called diversification.  We are buying lower end ,  and newer homes .While working with Jay Hinrichs who has a unique investor option for investing ( for us just using his program ) the NC and SC mix of homes. Our company is  looking at buying as many local lots as possible for future build and development. Which do cost money to buy and hold. Again in real estate you must look for short term , and long term opportunities .With a huge emphasis on exit strategies and the what if's down the road.

So basically mixing a few different  real estate programs today, making sure us and our clients are not stuck in a no win situation 5 years from now.

I know this really don't help but more of my two cents

Sincerely
    Alex Franks
    [email protected]

[/quote]

Participant
    @engelorumora

It did help mate,

Thanks for your reply. I am always interested in getting other peoples opinions.

Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Here is another way to look at Capital growth:

In reality there is nice capital growth right now for the 1st Gen wholesaler selling to the buy and hold investor.. And certainly the marketing companies in Aussie.

Average profits for these companies are 5 to 15k per house with some profiting much higher. Most of the these homes are 30 to 60k… And the wholesaler flips them in a matter of a day to 90 days max.

So whats the profit on these… All in on a property for 30k flip it for 45k 60 days down the track… I know this audience loves to compute gross and Net return to the decimil point. so will let someone figure it out.

For those flipping

capital growth is happening Now and has been and will be for ever, US is loaded with homes, and even in the bad times 100's of thousands of new units are built each and every year.

In our market of Portland Or we have a little micro market going here. You get out of our metro area to the country and the State is still mirered in a recession that started 25 years ago and really never went away  ( Big Timber laws changed Mills shut down by the hundreds)

Portland Metro though through very stiff reginonal zoning laws never had a huge over supply of lots and land ( except just north of the border in Vancouver WA)… So All the bank owned New construction has been absorbed, 90% of the land and lots the banks have sold..

To put it in historical perspective the PDX Metro area built 10 to 12k housing units a year…. 30% multi the rest SFR. 09 Saw get this 700 units total. A 90% drop and a devestated building industry. 2010 saw 2500… And 2011 that number was up to 3700. We are seeing our first Multi's being built in the last 7 years. And with historic interest rates and lack of new product. New construction is doing well.

We have 8 pre sales right now all with nice profit margins, not quite what we would do in the good ole days but 50K plus per house NET profit. And it looks like we will finish the year at about 25 to 30 houses built and sold. Staying in the starter home prices of 260 to 400k….

Intel is one of the main reason for the rebound as well, they are building a new 3 Billion dollar Fab plant and bringing in 4k workers to build it then 2500 full time highly skilled and paid employees. 2 of my presales right now are both to Intel Engineers that are transfering in from other areas one texas. and the other CA.  The one from Texas by the way Lost a lot of money selling their home they bought 5 years ago in Dallas this last fall. Of course anyone who bought new construction virtually anywhere in the US 5 years ago would not be able to sell today and get what they paid for the property with again some rare CA exceptions Like Palo Atlo Cupertino,, those hot beds of High tech and my birthplace.

Now you take Atlanta for instance which is soup de Jour right now with the Aussie buyers, and I have been buying 2 or so a month there my self for my program….( very very selective) And when I was there at the first of the year I toured New construction that was built 4 or 5 years ago and is still vacant…. Thats just not the case on the west coast with very very few exceptions as I stated.

I am not advocating Oregon, Although it has the lowest vacancy rate in the country, And by and large pretty decent tenant pool, but this market never really moves up or down quickly like CA or Seattle… Big money is moving in right now on Multi family though been 10 plus large transactions in the last year meaning 10 to 20 million dollar projects changing hands.

Go 49ers kick some Giant butt.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    Here is another way to look at Capital growth:

In reality there is nice capital growth right now for the 1st Gen wholesaler selling to the buy and hold investor.. And certainly the marketing companies in Aussie.

Average profits for these companies are 5 to 15k per house with some profiting much higher. Most of the these homes are 30 to 60k… And the wholesaler flips them in a matter of a day to 90 days max.

So whats the profit on these… All in on a property for 30k flip it for 45k 60 days down the track… I know this audience loves to compute gross and Net return to the decimil point. so will let someone figure it out.

For those flipping

capital growth is happening Now and has been and will be for ever, US is loaded with homes, and even in the bad times 100's of thousands of new units are built each and every year.

In our market of Portland Or we have a little micro market going here. You get out of our metro area to the country and the State is still mirered in a recession that started 25 years ago and really never went away  ( Big Timber laws changed Mills shut down by the hundreds)

Portland Metro though through very stiff reginonal zoning laws never had a huge over supply of lots and land ( except just north of the border in Vancouver WA)… So All the bank owned New construction has been absorbed, 90% of the land and lots the banks have sold..

To put it in historical perspective the PDX Metro area built 10 to 12k housing units a year…. 30% multi the rest SFR. 09 Saw get this 700 units total. A 90% drop and a devestated building industry. 2010 saw 2500… And 2011 that number was up to 3700. We are seeing our first Multi's being built in the last 7 years. And with historic interest rates and lack of new product. New construction is doing well.

We have 8 pre sales right now all with nice profit margins, not quite what we would do in the good ole days but 50K plus per house NET profit. And it looks like we will finish the year at about 25 to 30 houses built and sold. Staying in the starter home prices of 260 to 400k….

Intel is one of the main reason for the rebound as well, they are building a new 3 Billion dollar Fab plant and bringing in 4k workers to build it then 2500 full time highly skilled and paid employees. 2 of my presales right now are both to Intel Engineers that are transfering in from other areas one texas. and the other CA.  The one from Texas by the way Lost a lot of money selling their home they bought 5 years ago in Dallas this last fall. Of course anyone who bought new construction virtually anywhere in the US 5 years ago would not be able to sell today and get what they paid for the property with again some rare CA exceptions Like Palo Atlo Cupertino,, those hot beds of High tech and my birthplace.

Now you take Atlanta for instance which is soup de Jour right now with the Aussie buyers, and I have been buying 2 or so a month there my self for my program….( very very selective) And when I was there at the first of the year I toured New construction that was built 4 or 5 years ago and is still vacant…. Thats just not the case on the west coast with very very few exceptions as I stated.

I am not advocating Oregon, Although it has the lowest vacancy rate in the country, And by and large pretty decent tenant pool, but this market never really moves up or down quickly like CA or Seattle… Big money is moving in right now on Multi family though been 10 plus large transactions in the last year meaning 10 to 20 million dollar projects changing hands.

Go 49ers kick some Giant butt.

Jay how about those Giants now ….Watch us all the way to the super bowl.. LOL and I will enjoy my bottle of wine for the big game ..

Alex

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

crap,  we coulda shoulda won that game….

we need Andrew Luck… with a first rate QB and our Defense we win it all

Participant
    @alex-sc
    maternic wrote:
    G'day all,

Nick

Nick here is my simple plan for what to do

There are a few things I would do before investing in the USA. This is a simple list to follow.

1.) First have a game plan of what you want to accomplish along with exit strategies for buying USA homes.

2.) Pick out a few markets that fit what you are looking to do. There are a lot of different markets in the USA so be precise.

3.) I would find a real estate investment group near you. Find groups that have purchased US properties  & have been to the States.

4.) Take a trip to the US to check out the homes and the teams (should you decide to work with them).

5.) Make sure you get your EIN & LLC set up (this helps with the buying process). We have lawyers who can answer your questions should you want to set this up or there is plenty of help on this forum about these.

6.) Do not rush the process. Make sure you take the time to have a real estate plan.

Again, these are simple steps or an easier guide. I am on skpe (Alex Franks 2002  location Charlotte NC) if you want to speak on investing.

Hope this helps..

Alex
    [email protected]

Participant
    @alex-sc
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    crap,  we coulda shoulda won that game….

we need Andrew Luck… with a first rate QB and our Defense we win it all

Giants defense could win the super bowl  alone and If Elli steps out of his big brothers shadow…

no telling 49s defense was solid …

Alex Smith first year he has been solid for his team

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Alex Smith can take a hike as far as i am concerned,

he was O for third downs… Just make 30 to 40 % and it s a whole different ball game.

and bunch of them were 3rd and 6  at the Giants 40… Only to have smith throw it into the ground or take a sack…

then knock us out of feel goal range… very frustrating game. D played well enough to win.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    Alex Smith can take a hike as far as i am concerned,

he was O for third downs… Just make 30 to 40 % and it s a whole different ball game.

and bunch of them were 3rd and 6  at the Giants 40… Only to have smith throw it into the ground or take a sack…

then knock us out of feel goal range… very frustrating game. D played well enough to win.

Typical west coast fan ..not want to give the NY giants defense credit.

Well guess after the super bowl we can see how good the defense is..

Look forward to fri conference call..

Alex

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.