All Topics / Value Adding / List your reasons for signing up with your chosen builder

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

I run a small building company and we are looking to expand this year.

We have alot of experience in the renovation industry and have received numerous awards. Our staff are well presented and we have good customer relations.

We are finding that we miss out on alot of jobs because our quotes are too thorough and accurate, therefore higher.  We provide accurate prime costs for items and present alot of detail in the quote. The owners rarely have to pay for any extras as we are all inclusive, unless they change their plans. Where the other quotes may be lower but are not thorough.

On the odd occasion that we see the winning builders bid we often find the owner is not comparing apples with apples, they just look at the bottom line. No doubt getting hit up for extras later on in the project. Although I understand it is difficult for the owners to see this. We have had cases where we allow a prime cost of $30,000 for a kitchen because we know thats what it will take to do what the client wants, and the other builder has allowed $10,000. It seems it is bad for business to do an honest quote.

We tell our clients that our quotes are negotiable, that we can recomend changes to the plans or finishes that will save money without too much effect on the finished project.

So what I would like is for people to post what it was that got their chosen builder across the line, other than just the price.

eg: Multiple visits to your home, local reputation etc..

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

From a business point of view I can add some suggestions. I work with the same builders regularly for the following reasons:
    – Professional, Qualified and Well-Experienced
    – Reliability
    – Hassle-free
    – Keep customers happy from all aspects of the project.
    – Are people who I can regularly refer people to.
    – Trustworthy

Having flexibility in your quotes is a good idea. I just finished a book “Free” by Chris Anderson, I would recommend it for a read as it demonstrates how the 21st century views services and information as opposed to the previous generations.

I wouldn’t say cut down on the accuracy of your quotes. I like to be thorough as the customer knows exactly what they’re getting – no grey areas. Reputation is such a huge factor in how people form decisions, so don’t give the image of not caring with quotes, as that is the first thing customers see from you.

Just some thoughts anyway!

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.