All Topics / Help Needed! / Town Planner in Adelaide

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Fergus_AFergus_A
    @fergus_a

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good town planner who has worked with the Onkaparinga Shire in Adelaide? I have a house in Christie Downs and have noticed similar sized blocks nearby being developed into duplex's. I wanted to know roughly how much a local builder would charge per square meter so I can find out if there is any profit to be made. I'm from Sydney so I don't have the contacts as yet in Adelaide.

I've also heard from a buyers agent that the local council has changed the zoning laws and I may be able to fit more than 2 dwellings on my block. Does anyone know about this?

Would like to hear any advice or opinions from anyone who has or who is intending to develop any properties in this area of Adelaide.

Cheers
    Fergus

Profile photo of Ellie DiazEllie Diaz
    @ellie-diaz

Hi Fergus,

We purchased land in Christies Beach and are in the process of obtaining a fixed price quote on the construction costs. the block used to be one standard size block and was split into two; 352sqm and 375sqm. we noticed there was a lot of this going on and when we spoke to Onkaparinga Council they confirmed that this was a relatively new zoning law as land was very scarece in the area.

However this may not be applicable to the whole of the council area so you will have to find out about your own block and whether it applies to you.

Before purchasing the land we also looked at buying existing homes with a reasonable size block to subdivide. Beware of this as the layout of your land and the existing dwelling locations may be an issue. Also, corner blocks sound great for another access but you have to be carefull that you are able to connect to the services (for this you need to speak to SA Water who will also give you a cost estimate).

You also need to consider minimum setbacks etc.

Another thing we also found out, again depending where the block is, there is a Council law that limts the number of bedrooms to three if you can only fit a single garage, but there is another law that supercedes this and allows you to bypass the hoops you would otherwise have to jump over with Council to obtain approval. Of the two final prospective builders we were considering, only one was aware of this. so do your homework and ask lots of questions or you may not get the full advantage of your block.

Hope that helps :)

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Peter Koulizos was saying that at Christies Beach they are allowing high density multi-unit development. From memory something like 100 sqm/unit. Just not sure that there is demand for this type of unit development in that location though. Interested to hear your thoughts?

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.