All Topics / General Property / 2012 Investing

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of seantgseantg
    @seantg

Hi All,

We are now in the 2nd week of 2012…I would like to know where all forum readers are concentrating there investing on this year, and why?

I hope everybody can get on board with this subject.

Kind regards,

Sean.

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp

US and ROI is fantastic!!!

Profile photo of Matthew_WMatthew_W
    @matthew_w

Still residential. I'm in Adelaide, so I'll definately suss out the market here still. Then research interstate, then US.

Baby steps lol….

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I have been involved in Texas but we are also directly involved in Property Development i n Australia. We do this by putting investors directly into development projects and thereby they share in the development profits. The returns are great and it means you are able to either make a cash return or acquire an investment at a genuine wholesale price a large amount of built in equity.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

For me, the period of acquisition is over for now. I'm focusing on paying down debt maintaining my investments and letting time work its magic.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

This year, I'm going to still save up for a deposit with my partner for a first home. Aiming to save a total of $30-40K.

Focus therefore will be in residential, and I'll keep a lookout for a PPOR that I later intend to turn into a IP. Although I have been reading the challenges of a number of FHBs in finding a good deal recently.

Profile photo of Von KrummVon Krumm
    Participant
    @von-krumm

fWord wrote:
    For me, the period of acquisition is over for now.

This is what has me worried. With all the bears in the market at the moment I am not sure what to start investing in?

I have finally finished uni and got a decent salary but not sure if I should go back and get  an Economics degree just to decipher all the information in the current volatile climate.

Australia’s house prices are ridiculous, 7x average personal income. Now I know there's no reason why they can't climb further but surely it would be easier investing in other markets…

I understand there is money to be made in a falling market but it seems even more unlikely for a first time buyer. How are we supposed to compete?

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

First home buyers just need to lower their expectations!!!!

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

The last couple of interest rate cuts have really buoyed the Brisbane market, I suspect the Dec-Jan figures will reveal that though it takes some time for the data to filter through.

I personally know investors who have got rich from property in the 50's,60's,70's,80's,90's and 00's.. Now it's time to step up to the plate for the 10's!

There are always angles to be played and strategies that are working well.

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

This year is going to be a great year and it has started very well for me all ready.
    One thing i am doing different this year vs last year is my goal setting.

Last year i had to many goals and to be honest i didn't achieve them. But the most important thing was what did i learn?
    This year i have simple goals which i look at every day and  i am know to  a path on reaching them.

In terms of investing in property i think this year will provide allot of opportunities. There are many people who are struggling and allot of people are loosing there jobs.

I had a BBQ with 3 other married couples where all around the 26 to 28 age bracket. From what i had seen so many of them have gave up on being wealthy because life is so hard, expensive etc. Even though these factors may but when other people give up you have a more chance of success.

This year i am treating anything that is not family related as a bussiness. My goals are treated like an investment where the more time i work on the goals the more sucess i will get out of it.

Good luck all and remember when things look tough just remember if you work on the problem a soultion will emerge.

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of goldiesgoldies
    @goldies

2011 – my husband and i jumped into investing, we bought 3 investments in 2011. Waiting for the reval of the 3rd investment which is due back this week.
    2012 – I am excited! Exchanging on a house in a weeks time – large renovation project in a Regional NSW town. .
    We seem to have to buy, reno, hold, reval down pat so time to learn something new
    Goals: 
     – Purchase 3 renovators specials in 2012 including the one we are about to exchange on.
     – Research subdividing and building multiple dwellings. Have recently moved to perth and the suburb we live in, every 2nd house is being renovated with the land being subdivided and villas built on the back. Investors must be onto something so ive decided I want to learn about it.
     – Educate myself about other states especially QLD and SA markets. All my properties are in NSW. Time to avoid land tax too..
     – Complete Certificate IV in Project Management and then hopefully Certificate IV in Residential Drafting. I want to ensure i am project managing our renovations to the best of my ability and think it would be very interesting to learn how to draw residential and commercial plans. These skills can only assist me in my property endeavours.

Best of luck to all

P.S Another goal is to turn the TV off when everyone starts with the 'doom and gloom' talk and the 'property bubble burst' talk

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    Von Krumm wrote:

This is what has me worried. With all the bears in the market at the moment I am not sure what to start investing in?

I have finally finished uni and got a decent salary but not sure if I should go back and get  an Economics degree just to decipher all the information in the current volatile climate.

Australia’s house prices are ridiculous, 7x average personal income. Now I know there's no reason why they can't climb further but surely it would be easier investing in other markets…

I understand there is money to be made in a falling market but it seems even more unlikely for a first time buyer. How are we supposed to compete?

Don't get me wrong. The period of acquisition is over for me because I am FULLY invested, NOT because I'm staying away from property as a form of investment. They're two different things altogether.

Yes, Australia might seem expensive when using simple calculations, but I've seen far worse in other countries.

First home buyers CAN compete. They should look to buy a house in an area that is currently not so trendy. The house should be solid but older and without the mod cons, with the potential to comfortably live in immediately and to add value over time. The biggest mistake is for a FHB to think he/ she can keep up with all the Joneses and buy a property so expensive that the loan repayments cause severe stress and make it impossible to pay off any principle. The first home does not have to be the LAST. But it provides a substantial platform to step up to a higher quality property down the track.

Of course, you could also decide to rent and direct savings towards other forms of investment, such shares or commodities. That requires discipline however. A home loan forces a person to save, to pay their loan before paying themselves. For some people, the natural inclination is to spend all their savings if they don't already have some big commitments in place. In this way, I have benefited much from property investment. I'm extremely tempted to buy a new car and would have done so if not for my loan repayments. And we all know that a car will be worth less in 10 years time, whereas property is likely to have increased in value over that time, even above and over your interest payments or any other expenditures on the house, if you have bought well.

Profile photo of PISTOREPISTORE
    @pistore

Still plenty happening in Australia, just need to know where to look.
    2012 I believe could be a great year for property investors as a lot of the locations we are focusing on are only just starting to kick off on their projects this year. That coupled with the $10K QLD government grant being extended to April 31st and the likely hood of interest rate reductions, it really is one of the best times I have seen in over 16 years in the industry.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta
    fWord wrote:
    Von Krumm wrote:

Don't get me wrong. The period of acquisition is over for me because I am FULLY invested, NOT because I'm staying away from property as a form of investment. They're two different things altogether.

Yes, Australia might seem expensive when using simple calculations, but I've seen far worse in other countries.

First home buyers CAN compete. They should look to buy a house in an area that is currently not so trendy. The house should be solid but older and without the mod cons, with the potential to comfortably live in immediately and to add value over time. The biggest mistake is for a FHB to think he/ she can keep up with all the Joneses and buy a property so expensive that the loan repayments cause severe stress and make it impossible to pay off any principle. The first home does not have to be the LAST. But it provides a substantial platform to step up to a higher quality property down the track.

Of course, you could also decide to rent and direct savings towards other forms of investment, such shares or commodities. That requires discipline however. A home loan forces a person to save, to pay their loan before paying themselves. For some people, the natural inclination is to spend all their savings if they don't already have some big commitments in place. In this way, I have benefited much from property investment. I'm extremely tempted to buy a new car and would have done so if not for my loan repayments. And we all know that a car will be worth less in 10 years time, whereas property is likely to have increased in value over that time, even above and over your interest payments or any other expenditures on the house, if you have bought well.

Hey fWord, Good advice and insights.

Nonetheless, Von Krumm, I can totally relate to your frustrations. The housing prices are totally ridiculous, most likely caused by an undesupply and many reports are suggesting that it may lead to a housing disaster, especially in NSW and QLD!

Profile photo of farvafarva
    @farva

Its a buyers market at the moment.
    People are nervous that they wont be able to sell, so will be willing to discount significantly.

Im hoping to pick up a few decent deals over the year. The plan is to pick up a few places with decent amount of land that I can develop later when demand picks up again.

Profile photo of lillystarlillystar
    @lillystar

I agree farva definitely a buyers market. We are in the process of settlement on our latest IP and looking to buy 2 more this year. Be brave when others are fearful as Warren Buffet famously said. Do your due diligence and you can pick up some great bargains in this market

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.