All Topics / Help Needed! / Home Study Reccommendations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Shiny_Suit_ManShiny_Suit_Man
    Participant
    @shiny_suit_man

Hi Everyone,
                   Firstly i just want to say hi, I'm new to the forum.  I hope i have posted in the right section i couldn't decide between here or the heads up section, i figured here was better as i am actually asking for advice, appologies if my logic is wrong.  Basically what i am after is some suggestions on some home study courses that i can do.  Due to working away 200+ days a year in remote locations (i'm on the rigs) i want to do some more study into property development.  But due to work i don't have the time in order to take part in any courses.  I am actively reading books on property while i can but i would be interested in learning more.  I assume doing one of these "home study" courses would be a good way to go??
               I have one property in country victoria which i purchased when i was 19 (im now almost 24) and im looking to extend my portfolio.  My goal is to own as many positively geared properties as i need in order to be able to semi-retire by the time im 45 (i haven't worked out how many that is exactly, but i don't like to put a cap on things because anything as possible, should more money making deals arise i would never turn one down because i already have "enough".  So that gives me 21 years roughly to achieve my goal.  I recently relocated to QLD for work and now my finances are back on track after the move i want to move forward in my investment goals.
              Basically i am looking for reccommendations in courses from which i can do whilst at home/at work in my spare time right off my computer.  I am open to any suggestions.  Appologies if this has been covered but the search i have looked at before showed indiviual posts on home study courses and im open to pretty much anything so let me have them…

Thanks,

Chris

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Don't waste your time with courses, especially those that cost money. No need.

Just read the forums, especially somersolf, invested, and this one. That should be enough and you will learn far more.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I agree with Terry. There's also a heap of decent books (which you can grab from your local library) and monthly magazines that might be worth a look. For carrying out due diligence, there's a number of links on our website here

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of StingrayBirkeStingrayBirke
    @stingraybirke

I think you should study these charts very closely…….

http://www.australianpropertyportal.com/Gallery

And then decide whether you think property is in a bubble!

Profile photo of Shiny_Suit_ManShiny_Suit_Man
    Participant
    @shiny_suit_man

Thanks for the advice… I joined the forum hoping to learn more, i thought that i could learn a lot through trolling through here.  Thanks for the heads up on the courses.  I was under the oppinion that most of these courses were based on seminars.  If they are a waste of time are the seminars even worth looking at?

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I also prefer learning from books and forums. Books tend to be good because the info is more organised – sometimes forum info can be all over the place.

Some seminars can be useful, but often they may skim over info (because it's hard to go through material in depth in a short period of time), or you may be stuck in a seminar that is really a sales pitch

Good luck!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Agree with what has been posted already.

Troll thru a few of the older posts and read what advice has been given and then post some questions and see what reponses you get by way of feedback.

Be suprised what gets covered here as we are friendly bunch.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.