All Topics / Help Needed! / First impression

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gumtreegumtree
    Participant
    @gumtree

I am having a crack at increasing percieved value, creating a good first impression of space through the use of wall colours. Would it have the best effect if there was a dark colour at the door way, moderate in the living room and light in the dining room?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'd knock out the arch completely. It will open up the space better than any painting will achieve.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Hey Andrew,
    Did you attach a pic. I couldn't see it (I tihnk I have to register for a service to see it?)

Anyway, I agree with the concept of increasing "perceived value" – although your idea of darkening colors from the entrance then to other rooms could be a little strange. Will they all be the same color but different shades? Totally different colors from dark to light may be weird. Why'd you choose that thinking for the colors, im curious?

Profile photo of gumtreegumtree
    Participant
    @gumtree

Thanks Jamie and Matt,
    Yes I attached a picture that I uploaded on imageshack:
    Standing from the front door there is a small area before the living room which has a red brick wall and an arch doorway into the dining area.
    I read that you can paint rooms:
    – In related colours, to lead the eye from one to another producing a harmonious effect.
    – Darker colours advance into the rooom, whilst light colours seem to recede.

Just having trouble deciding on colours that compliment the redbrick whilst also creating this spaceous feel.

As my goal is renovating to increase the percieved value unlocking capital to re-invest, I feel going away from white and cremes might be to risky. However it would still be good to get thoughts or insights as to how you could make this an inviting home.
    cheers,
    Andrew

Profile photo of nevertoolatenevertoolate
    @nevertoolate

I agree with Jamie M, Dark colours make spaces appear smaller. I'd knock the arch out but also lime wash or paint that brick wall, it's oppressive. C

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

I agree with Jamie about removing the archway. It maybe worth your while to use the services of a colour consultant. They are relatively cheap and I think taubman's? (could be wrong??) offer a service if you buy their paints

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.