All Topics / Overseas Deals / Airconditioner Cages – Atlanta

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

Hi everyone

Thought I would add this link.

http://www.atlantahvacguide.com/how-to-prevent-central-air-conditioner-theft-at-your-atlanta-home-or-business/

I don't know whether this is the solution, guess I will find out.

I have arranged these cages for all my properties at a cost of around $420 each.

Jay and Alex you mentioned this issue in another post, do you guys use cages as a deterrent? Would be interested in your views.

Cheers, WI

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp

That is a good point, WI.

It is common in Atlanta for the CAC to be stolen. The property that I'm about to settle, its CAC was also stolen.

I'm interested to hear the post of others about this also.

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor
    DHCP wrote:

It is common in Atlanta for the CAC to be stolen. The property that I'm about to settle, its CAC was also stolen.

When you consider that each unit will cost you around $2600 and I believe somewhere Jay posted that within a 5 year timeframe I think it is around 80% chance of aircon unit being stolen.

I am keen to find out if you are sourcing your own properties in Atlanta, buying turn key or getting them rehabbed.

Cheers, WI

@dhcp
    worldinvestor wrote:

I am keen to find out if you are sourcing your own properties in Atlanta, buying turn key or getting them rehabbed.

Cheers, WI

I have a feeling that you're going to ask me about this.

I used a buyer's agent here…they gave me access to their foot workers on the ground of Atlanta (e.g., Realtor, Building Inspector, Pest Control inspector, Attorney…the whole nine yard). I bought some properties before so i'm not new to the process of buying real estate investment.

Maybe I'll get my property manager to put a sign up "Beware of Dog"….. :-)

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    DHCP wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:

Cheers, WI

I have a feeling that you're going to ask me about this.

I used a buyer's agent here…they gave me access to their foot workers on the ground of Atlanta (e.g., Realtor, Building Inspector, Pest Control inspector, Attorney…the whole nine yard). I bought some properties before so i'm not new to the process of buying real estate investment.

Maybe I'll get my property manager to put a sign up "Beware of Dog"….. :-)

Cages are worthless they just have to snip a lock and bamn unit is gone.Jay has a good idea and we are looking at implementing this in trouble areas. Lifting the ac and putting it on roof or at least off the ground a few ft.

Alex

Profile photo of GreaterKCHomesGreaterKCHomes
    @greaterkchomes
    worldinvestor wrote:
    DHCP wrote:

When you consider that each unit will cost you around $2600 and I believe somewhere Jay posted that within a 5 year timeframe I think it is around 80% chance of aircon unit being stolen.

Cheers, WI

What we are doing in KC about this issue is as follows:
    We are constructing a 6 x 5 x 5 cinder block wall around the units. We are custom building a rebar door for entry by technicians and so forth. The door is 3/4 rebar, with 1/4″ steel for the frame. We use a mobile welder to construct on the job site. Over the top of the cage if you will, we use 1/4″ steel wire fencing material to make a top, so they can’t simply climb over it. Additionally, we reinforce the cinder blocks that will be used to hold the door on, with concrete, we then set 6″ lag bolts into the concrete to attach the door. Then we lock the door using an industrial size padlock.

Keep in mind, you will need to check local ordinances for this construction, as we had to ensure that the emergency disconnect was outside the box, and no more than 6′ off the ground, so that the fire department could get access to it. All we did was extend the power wires to outside the box, and install the emergency disconnect at about 5′.

Total Costs: About $650-700 parts and labor.

Have a great New Year!

John

Participant
    @alex-sc
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    DHCP wrote:

Cheers, WI

What we are doing in KC about this issue is as follows: We are constructing a 6 x 5 x 5 cinder block wall around the units. We are custom building a rebar door for entry by technicians and so forth. The door is 3/4 rebar, with 1/4" steel for the frame. We use a mobile welder to construct on the job site. Over the top of the cage if you will, we use 1/4" steel wire fencing material to make a top, so they can't simply climb over it. Additionally, we reinforce the cinder blocks that will be used to hold the door on, with concrete, we then set 6" lag bolts into the concrete to attach the door. Then we lock the door using an industrial size padlock. Keep in mind, you will need to check local ordinances for this construction, as we had to ensure that the emergency disconnect was outside the box, and no more than 6' off the ground, so that the fire department could get access to it. All we did was extend the power wires to outside the box, and install the emergency disconnect at about 5'. Total Costs: About $650-700 parts and labor. Have a great New Year! John

John awesome idea can you shoot me an picture via email

And good Morning

Alex
    [email protected]

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

I have 3 properties in areas that require deterrent's on AC systems.  My cages cost about $250 each.  I still think its a good investment.  I don't have pictures on hand of my properties, but check this out:  FAKE SECURITY CAMERA

Mine were $10 each and I have 2 of them.  I have one that overlooks my A/C and well system.  And I have another in the corner of the home by the garage door.  They have LED lights on them powered by 2 AA batteries.  I was going to go with the more expensive ones that have motion sensors on them.  When activated the red LED light pulsates giving a sign that "you are being watched"… 

I hear CONSTANT stories about theft in my area.  My security cams have been there 8 months and not a single problem.  Tenants actually think its hilarious but at the same time honestly does think it is security, albeit, a fake one.

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

@dhcp
    CheevesFinancial wrote:
    I      My security cams have been there 8 months and not a single problem.  Tenants actually think its hilarious but at the same time honestly does think it is security, albeit, a fake one.

AWESOME….I'll get my guys to get one of those fake security camera, Psychological war with thiefs may actually work?

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

Exactly!  It's psychological warfare.  Keep in mind, these thiefs are not smart.  They have the education of a 10 year old.  All they know how to do is roll up at night, sneak and snatch.  They have found ways around cages.  However, cages are working in our area for some.  I just chose a cheaper alternative which has worked very well so far.

Alex:  I know for sure we can't put our systems on the roof.. Raising it a few feet won't help..at least in my area.  Then what's that look like?  It looks weird.  To you, who cares because the system is safe.. To future buyers, it may look a little off…only my opinion.  I'm telling you…try these cameras!!

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

@dhcp

I've seen similar security cameras here and I tell you what you cannot tell the difference between a REAL one and a FAKE one…they make them like the real deal….unless someone will tell you they are fake, you wouldn't know hence you think twice before doing silly things  while in the presence of the security camera….makes sense to me. Will definitely give it a go and for the price you pay, they are peanuts.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Cheeves. Did not think about sub well pumps ooh

I just had my first one stolen in Portland a few months back

Commercial units are on roofs all over the country

At the end oof the day there is also the higher end units that do not require the out side unit

We put them in new construction

It’s a real issue that is why I personally know that noi,s are not real not one pro forma will allow for ac gone missing when I know at least 50 to 90% of owners of rentals will have a unit stolen over a 2 to 4 year period add cost of cage which like Alex says is just a minor deter ant to these thriving bastards

@dhcp
    Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor
    CheevesFinancial wrote:
    Exactly!  It's psychological warfare.  Keep in mind, these thiefs are not smart.  They have the education of a 10 year old.  All they know how to do is roll up at night, sneak and snatch.  They have found ways around cages.  However, cages are working in our area for some.  I just chose a cheaper alternative which has worked very well so far.

Alex:  I know for sure we can't put our systems on the roof.. Raising it a few feet won't help..at least in my area.  Then what's that look like?  It looks weird.  To you, who cares because the system is safe.. To future buyers, it may look a little off…only my opinion.  I'm telling you…try these cameras!!

In Australia some people use evap airconditioning, placed on roofs and come in various colours to match the roof and are strategically placed at the back of the house.
    Where I live in Western Australia it is not uncommon to see these and I guess we don't give it a second thought as to whether they look ugly or not.

http://www.aussieair.com.au/evaporative.shtml

WI

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    Alex SC wrote:
    GreaterKCHomes wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    DHCP wrote:

Cheers, WI

What we are doing in KC about this issue is as follows: We are constructing a 6 x 5 x 5 cinder block wall around the units. We are custom building a rebar door for entry by technicians and so forth. The door is 3/4 rebar, with 1/4" steel for the frame. We use a mobile welder to construct on the job site. Over the top of the cage if you will, we use 1/4" steel wire fencing material to make a top, so they can't simply climb over it. Additionally, we reinforce the cinder blocks that will be used to hold the door on, with concrete, we then set 6" lag bolts into the concrete to attach the door. Then we lock the door using an industrial size padlock. Keep in mind, you will need to check local ordinances for this construction, as we had to ensure that the emergency disconnect was outside the box, and no more than 6' off the ground, so that the fire department could get access to it. All we did was extend the power wires to outside the box, and install the emergency disconnect at about 5'. Total Costs: About $650-700 parts and labor. Have a great New Year! John

John awesome idea can you shoot me an picture via email

And good Morning

Alex
    [email protected]

sounds like we need to build a bunker kind of like what Hitler did in WW 2…. that will keep the theives out.

I guess if one really wanted to you could just form it up and poor concrete on 3 walls. Put the big thick rebar on the doors.

The thieves will just show up with jack hammers next.

On my nicer stuff I am going to look at the ventless systems that run through the attic. Which is smart anyway because the cold air flows down hill so they are more effiencint in that manner. Just cost more to install.

One thing KC mentioned was controlling energy by setting thermostats ( which of course we do in our commercial buildings) these tenants tho really like it hot in the winter and real cold in the summer.

JLH

Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    worldinvestor wrote:
    CheevesFinancial wrote:

In Australia some people use evap airconditioning, placed on roofs and come in various colours to match the roof and are strategically placed at the back of the house.
    Where I live in Western Australia it is not uncommon to see these and I guess we don't give it a second thought as to whether they look ugly or not.

WI

Most commercial properties will have them on the roof as well. I am sure they can be retrofitted to the roof. Not sure its worth it or not.

Depending on the area though we do not bring in anything that can be stolen until the tenant moves in it all happens in that one day. appliances condensers. hot water heater. etc etc.

And when a house is going to sit vacant for a while again depending on which area and market we will go pull the Unit store it then put it back in when tenant moves in, Kind of beat the theiving Bstds to the punch as it were.

@dhcp
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    CheevesFinancial wrote:

WI

Most commercial properties will have them on the roof as well. I am sure they can be retrofitted to the roof. Not sure its worth it or not.

Depending on the area though we do not bring in anything that can be stolen until the tenant moves in it all happens in that one day. appliances condensers. hot water heater. etc etc.

And when a house is going to sit vacant for a while again depending on which area and market we will go pull the Unit store it then put it back in when tenant moves in, Kind of beat the theiving Bstds to the punch as it were.

Hi Jay,

You know WHAT? You gave me the answer to one of my concerns about the property that I'm about to get it rehab.

I have to buy the following brand new appliances and once the property is all rehabbed etc., I'll just tell the guys to install these appliances while the tenant is moving into the property otherwise, mine as well give my money away to those bastards thieves

Dishwasher
    Fridge
    Condenser
    Hot Water Heater

You're right, all these appliances can be installed in one given day.

Thanks mate.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    DHCP wrote:
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    CheevesFinancial wrote:

This should be for most deals.We let tenants know the appliances will be installed the same day they move in or could be up to 48 hrs for appliances. Water heaters and ac go in the same day….

Alex

WI

Hi Jay,

You know WHAT? You gave me the answer to one of my concerns about the property that I'm about to get it rehab.

I have to buy the following brand new appliances and once the property is all rehabbed etc., I'll just tell the guys to install these appliances while the tenant is moving into the property otherwise, mine as well give my money away to those bastards thieves

Dishwasher
    Fridge
    Condenser
    Hot Water Heater

You're right, all these appliances can be installed in one given day.

Thanks mate.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Cheeves I can only guess the condenser cannot go on the roof because they would be come lethal flying objects in a Hurricane:)

DCHP:

Now your getting it…and this time of year you can delay on the condenser they won't need it for a few more months.

Being a private pilot and somewhat instrument profiecient I am always reading and studing. And there is a good series from an instructor Jeff Moss out of Santa Monica… He has a series of CD's called flying like the pro's..where he instill
    s commercial pilot standards for us PP…

So maybe whats needed next is REHAB like the PRO's… A down and dirty little CD with all the tricks of the trade and the ones your Turn Key Rehabber really does not want to mention as to scare you to death about the petty theft that is rampant.

when I was doing a lot of detroit loans and rehab loans…. Doug at Debeers co. had a retired cop that signed the workers in and out on a check list. What they found out is that the workers were coming back in that night and stealing what they just put in.

Tough game this turn key rehab…. And let me tell you all these little issues all add up to dollars that make the Pro forma % returns just best guess and not reality over time.

JLH

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.