All Topics / Overseas Deals / I have been asked for people willing to tell their ‘Ive been ripped off’ US RE story – Please help.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Profile photo of alanlsalanls
    Participant
    @alanls
    Profile photo of alanlsalanls
    Participant
    @alanls
    Profile photo of alanlsalanls
    Participant
    @alanls
    Profile photo of stpaul.62stpaul.62
    @stpaul.62

I am writing this report on behalf of my brother who purchased a property in Atlanta from Property4peanuts company number 07384189 and run by

Emma Cornah. The property was sold with outstanding taxes which amounted to over $6000. His contract stated that the property would be sold free of

liens and he paid $1100 for legal fees.

Property4peasnuts would not contribute towards the taxes unless my brother signed an agreement not to post blogs about the company. However, it is

in the public interest that my brothers experience with this company are made public.

He made the final payment for the property in February 2010. Although the money was paid to 'The Foreign Property Shop.com'

company number 06027122. Incidentally they have applied for the company to be struck off from companies house. Although the money was paid to

The Foreign Property Shop.com the contract had the seller as  Oleksandr Abramovych, a citizen of the Ukraine. The question is did

The Foreign Property Shop.com use my brothers money to purchase the property from Oleksandr Abramovych and what is the connection between

him and The Foreign Property Shop.com and Property4peasnuts. They said that the seller was known to them.

The contract stated that the property would be refurbished and tenanted. In fact the refurbishment was not completed and my brother has photos to

prove it. They have not provided any proof whatsoever that the refurbishment was completed. Their excuse was that the tenant moved in so quick that there

wasn't time to take photos. If there was a tenant he did not receive any rent payments as the rent money was deducted from the payment made towards

the overdue taxes.

Regarding the alleged tenant, there were no obvious signs of a tenant existing, they disappeared after two months for no apparent reason.

At the same time the propety management company Solutions Enterprises informed him that they no longer wished to be his management company.

Although my brother paid for the property in February 2010, he did not receive the quit claim deed until July 2012. The date on the quit claim

deed was 10th August 2011 and that date had been amended from 10/8/2012.

Even if the date is to be believed it means the document was missing fro a year. It also means that Oleksandr Abramovych was still the owner

up to that point. The address given for Oleksandr Abramovych on the quit claim document is that of Property4peanuts, Foxwood, Chalky Road,

Stockbury, Kent ME9 7QR.

From the period of his payment February 2010 to 10th August 2011 the property belonged to Oleksandr Abramovych. He did not have the property

managed and consequently it was vandalised and a vagrant was living there. My brother used a agent in Atlanta to visit the property and take photos.

My brother continually pressed Propery4peanuts to provide him with the title deeds. They claimed it took time whereas he phoned the court house

that deals with them and was told it takes two weeks. He also asked for the name of the title company and was told it was SouthEast Title

Corporation, 1409 North Highland Avenue NE Atlanta, Georgia 30306. He contacted the company and they said they did not handle the title they only

acted as a messenger service.

My brother challenges these companies to answer the specific questions

that has gone unanswered:

Explain their relationship with Oleksandr Abramovych. Why was he the

seller when the money was paid to The Foreign Property shop.com

Why did it take 29 months from the time of payment to the receipt of the quit claim.

Provide proof that South East title did in fact handle the transfer or provide the name of the company that did. They should have invoices from

the Title company.

Explain the whereabouts of the quit claim between 10th August 2011 and 12th July 2012.

Provide proof that the property was refurbished, it can be photos, names of contractors, invoices etc.

I challenge Property4peanuts to answer the above questions, but I doubt if they will.

If they think my brother was in any way responsible for this mess then explain why.

To summarise:

My brother paid a lot of money for a house that was supposed to be refurbished and tenanted but wasn't. The title was not give to him in a timely manner, in

fact it was 29 months before he saw any documentation that showed him as being owner. On the date of the quit claim deed the property was empty

and vandalised not refubished and tenanted as per the contract. When the property belonged to Oleksandr Abramovych it was not managed

and was completely trashed. It is in a wrecked state today and will cost a lot of money to repair. It is over three years since the purchase, he

has lost lots of money, had enormous stress and still has a property that is wrecked and accumulating taxes. 

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Thank you for sharing this – can you please expand a bit on what kind of DD did your brother performed on these guys, if at all? Did he speak to existing (verifiable) clients? Did he check (verifiable) legal and financial references? Online or offline (verifiable) reviews etc? The fact that a company exists and is registered is, unfortunately, all but meaningless… Not meaning to harp on his pain, nor to imply in any way that what happened was his fault – sounds like these guys are shonks and should be taken to account in any possible way – but I can't help but wonder if he was aware of the need to perform all of the above checks, or others of similar scope?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of mindthe gapmindthe gap
    @mindthe-gap

Metro Property Group the largest purchaser of foreclosed homes in Detroit is being sued for fraud and racketeering. A 116 page complaint has been filed with Detroit Federal Court naming Sameer Beydoun, Ali Baydoun, Tarek Baydoun and Chris Picciurro amongst the defendants.

The suit alleges that Metro Property Group are in effect running a Ponzi scheme. Investors are told the properties are refurbished and tenanted and are  supplied with forged lease documents. In fact the properties are un-refurbished and mostly uninhabitable and the rent is being paid out of the investors own money. See story below as it appeared in Courthouse News.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013Last Update: 9:49 AM PT

Giant Home Scam Alleged in Detroit

By JACK BOUBOUSHIAN

ShareThis 

DETROIT (CN) – Three real estate companies with alleged ties to Hezbollah buy "worthless" homes in Detroit and dupe foreign investors into buying them for far more than they are worth, eight investors claim in court.

Lead plaintiff Kathryn Llewellyn-Jones and seven other foreign nationals sued Metro Property Group, Global Power Equities, Apex Equities, 10 individuals and three law offices, in Federal Court. All the defendants are listed at the end of this article.

The plaintiffs, citizens of the U.K., Australia, and Yemen, claim they bought 11 properties in Detroit from the defendants, whom they accuse of running a Ponzi scheme "encompassing multi-millions of dollars, and reaching mini-Madoff proportions."

The complaint states: "Defendants Sameer Beydoun, Ali Beydoun, David Makki, and Mike Alaweih, doing business as defendants, Metro Property Group, Apex Global Properties LLC, and Global Power Equities LLC, purchase extremely rundown, rarely tenanted, usually uninhabitable properties out of foreclosure from the City of Detroit, and they are, upon information and belief, the single largest purchaser of such foreclosed Detroit homes. Upon information and belief, Ponzi scheme defendants have purchased thousands of such homes for between $500.00 and $5,000.00 and/or similar small amounts. (Ponzi scheme defendants purchase a scant few homes for larger amounts.) They make a profit by duping and defrauding investors, including plaintiffs, into buying them for $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 and/or similar amounts.

"Defendants know that the homes, even if they are refurbished at a cost of thousands of tens of thousands of dollars (which is not the case with any of the homes that Ponzi scheme defendants sold to plaintiffs), will be unlikely to rent out to third parties because of their mostly undesirable and destitute locations, and that, even if the homes do rent out to third parties, the prevailing average amounts of rents in the areas in which the homes are located are so low that they will not cover the cost of repairs and the prices at which they sell the homes to third parties, including plaintiffs.

"Ponzi scheme defendants do not refurbish the homes nor make any attempt to bring them up to code requirements for a certificate or occupancy, much less Section 8 requirements for habitability, despite fraudulent guarantees otherwise to plaintiffs and other home buyers whom defendants cheated, deceived, and defrauded into purchasing the homes. …

"Ponzi scheme defendants then market the homes to third parties – primarily foreign investors and retirees in foreign countries, including plaintiffs, who are unable and/or unlikely to make the overseas trip to visit Detroit to actually view the properties prior to purchasing them. On the few occasions that said foreign investors actually visit Detroit, Ponzi scheme defendants have shown the foreign investors, including plaintiffs, properties that have been indeed refurbished, but which are a ruse and staged fraud for the bait-and-switch sales of houses to the investors." (Parentheses in complaint.)

The plaintiffs accuse a former Detroit Free Press reporter, Darci McConnell, of aiding and abetting the scheme, though she is not named as a defendant.

"In support of this scheme, Ponzi Scheme Defendants hired former Detroit News and Detroit Free Press reporter, Darci McConnell and her McConnell Communications, to market Ponzi scheme defendants, specifically defendant Sameer Beydoun, as the 'savior' of Detroit in gushing, glowing feature articles in the Detroit Free Press, Bloomberg News, and other local, national, and international publications of note, furthering the Ponzi scheme and providing Ponzi scheme defendants with convincing mainstream media approval and cover for the Ponzi scheme fraud. In each of these cases, reporters did not speak to purchasers who were swindled and conned by Ponzi scheme defendants into purchasing the fraudulently marketed homes, nor did they view the shabby insides of the homes. In one case, the Detroit Free Press merely reprinted the 'before' and 'after' photos provided by Ponzi scheme defendants, without fact-checking their veracity," according to the 116-page complaint.

Beydoun's company Metro Property Group has bought more than 1,000 houses in Detroit in the past 20 months, according to a Feb. 26 Free Press article by John Gallagher.

The plaintiffs claim that Beydoun and other defendants have ties to the Lebanese terrorist organization Hezbollah.

"Tarek M. Baydoun, Sameer Beydoun, Ali Beydoun, David Makki, and Mike Alaweih are all from families that are well known to be prominent supporters and members of Hezbollah in South Lebanon," the complaint states. "Upon information and belief, Sameer Beydoun, Ali Beydoun, David Makki, and Mike Alaweih are also supporters of Hezbollah and have property and/or homes in Hezbollah strongholds in South Lebanon. Defendants Sameer Beydoun, Ali Beydoun, David Makki, and Mike Alaweih hired Defendant Tarek M. Baydoun as their attorney and in-house counsel despite and likely because of their knowledge that Defendant Tarek M. Baydoun was an open supporter of Hezbollah and helped raise money for its alleged United States affiliate, which was raided by the FBI.

"Given several of defendants' ties to Hezbollah, plaintiffs fear that the money from which they (and other similarly defrauded parties) have been defrauded by Defendants may have, in part, been laundered to Hezbollah," the complaint states. (Parentheses in complaint.)

The plaintiffs seek $300,000 per property in compensatory damages, and $1 million per property in punitive damages, for fraudulent misrepresentation, fraud, breach of contract, and racketeering.

They are represented by Deborah Schlussel, of Southfield, Mich.

Here are the defendants: Metro Property Group, Metro Property Management, Global Power Equities, Apex Equities, Sameer Beydoun, Ali Beydoun, Tarek Mahmoud Beydoun, Beydoun Law Group, The Meridian Law Group, Mike Alaweih, David Makki, Chris Picciurro, Kathy Messics, George Vanderburg, Allen Brothers Attorneys and Counselors, James Allen and John Allen.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

This is taking sprukierism to a new level

Profile photo of MetroPropertyGroupMetroPropertyGroup
    @metropropertygroup

Metro Property Group, one of the city’s most ambitious real estate developers, this week sued a pair of former investors for TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACTS, BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS AND BUSINESS EXPECTANCIES, saying they along with the controversial radio talk show host they hired as their attorney filed a baseless lawsuit about the company’s work as a means to further a hateful agenda.

The civil suit, filed 7/30/13 in U.S. District Court seeks to stop libelous postings by Kathryn Llewellyn-Jones and Mark Llewellyn-Jones – largely in Internet blogs online – about the company’s work. The pair is represented by Debbie Schlessel, who once posted on her website that she would like to see the death of 1.8 billion followers of Islam. You can review the Counter-Claim here: http://cdn.mymetroproperty.com/sites/mymetroproperty.com/files/MPG-Counter-Complaint.pdf

While the lawsuit claims that not a single Metro Property Group house has been rehabilitated, the company actually has spent more than $5 million to rehabilitate and renovate Detroit homes in 2012 alone!

Most of these houses have undergone very significant renovation, including the installation of new hot water heaters and furnaces.  The Counter-Claim even includes before and after photos showing major renovation of certain houses that the lawsuit claims were never rehabbed.

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

New hot water heaters and Hvac now thats major reno :)… Detroit just has so much fraud its hard to tell the good from the bad.  I for one lost 100k on 2 ;houses, Not through metro property group but just through plane ole vandilism and what is truly one of the toughest and worst rental markets in the world in my humble opinon.  And Hey I am an expert in single family rentals… over 300 homes I own personally and thousand financed.  Detroit is just a waste land in most of the ares the spruiekers work.. Again I do not know metro housing but I have my own experinces.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Watch out, Jay, you might get sued for "TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACTS, BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS AND BUSINESS EXPECTANCIES" lol

(folks, this is probably a good opportunity to say that, if you're after a reliable US operator, (and one who won't give you any reason to sue him or question his credentials), look no further than Jay, above. Joined his clientele last year and, so far, cannot fault him – deal with him directly, and you'll find that you're in very good hands.

hats off to truewholesale houses (as for metro property group, wouldn't have a clue, sorry)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

thanks Ziv                As I state I do not know these folks,, however I have had a lot of experince in Detroit and it was all PRE  Truewholesale houses.. My company was one of the largest hardmoney lenders in the MId US for many years. I was funding 2 to 3 million a month…When I was left holding the bag in detroit I lost significant money,…. Here is what I do know……………For a company to attract the attention of the fed and or state authroities there has to be numeous complaints with back up documentation.  Other than that I have no imperical data about this

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.