All Topics / Overseas Deals / I have been asked for people willing to tell their ‘Ive been ripped off’ US RE story – Please help.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

. FYI, the reason people charge you to rent your property out is because they are dealing with 3rd party property managers. Not true there are  alot of the major companies that just management properties. They charge you because it is there business and that's how they make a living.  Look up albright property management in RH SC 2200 units and they own one rental house. So they are just a property management company.  Not sure of the numbers you are helping manage or over see. I think Jay and other will back me up when you get over 100 properties I promise you will need more then one person to handle things. Most companies do not turn a profit unless they have 300 plus homes in the management side. Trust me charging 10 % of rent was not worth the time and effort I put into the homes.

To rent a property you must be a licensed agent. If your facilitator is NOT a licensed US real estate agent they would HAVE to outsource or be working very closely with an agency willing to wave that fee. Depends on the states SC for instance we had several of the staff who had their lic( not real estate agents lic but property management lic ( these are not the same ) to be able to rent properties.  NC you must be a real estate broker ( which all agents in NC are brokers in Sc one has to work under a broker for 3 years to attain that status) Now if they had real estate lic they could do this in both states. I do warn all for any one who just jumps in and think property management is easy. Good luck , to understand  a USA renter is just to damn hard.

I have found VERY few people get the big picture……. But those that do know darn well that we intend to be together as a group for the next 5 years. Again, find a licensed real estate agent… We start renting your property the day we close the darn thing because we can! ( the day you buy you should be parking a rental sign in the yard FYI any one who buys a property has the right to stick a sign in the yard . That being said, as I always offer… If you need something or a driveby, I am slap bang in the middle of Lithonia and Ellenwood (as everyone jokes "Emmawood")   .. When not in Vegas ….and happy to help. Very sorry if above sounded like advertising.. I had tried to change but Jay beat me to the button! [/quote]

Profile photo of NealeinMINealeinMI
    @nealeinmi

There are a number of US based Aussie groups online.  Talk to people in those forums.  They'll give you a ton of good advice,  no strings attached.

Bottom line, unless you do your due diligence and work with people you can trust you will get ripped off sooner or later.

There are great opportunities in US Real Estate, but from my 17 years experience living in the US, the Yanks are very good at extracting money from your wallet legally or otherwise.  Before you go chasing huge gains, first make sure you have limited your downside.  Do your homework.

Cheers,

NealeinMI

Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

Alex – you are missing the point – I am talking about the Aussies out there that AREN'T licensed agents who charge say $4k – $5k to source the property but THEN charge the additional first month's rent…..

SOOOOOOO – you just have to be aware – you buy the property + you repair the property (separate company)  + you rent the property (separate company for many of these spruikers) = x cost + y cost + z cost……..

NOT a seamless and integrated process but 3 succinct companies who can equally blame each other for why your property wasn't repaired/rented/bought etc quickly enough……

Why not just find a real estate agent (NOT charging you 4-5k for the pleasure), then find a gen contractor and then find a property management company…..oh, and yes, ANY good real estate agent (GOOD, ask around if they deal with foreign investors), will SERIOUSLY have the contacts…. you will have to interview your agents though.

I am just making the point that if you are a spruiker and aren't legally able to do x + y + z, you are ONLY going to be able to separate it out but just remember if you are a buyer dealing with said spruiker then you ARE dealing with 3 entities… not exactly a single "buck stops here" scenario.

There is no "win" – no "easy" – just be very very aware that the second you are reverting to your Oz based person as to why your property hasn't been repaired or rented, you ARE dealing with, in the most part, THREE companies…..

On the PLUS side – Alex, you and Jay have it somewhat nailed…….but that IS my point – I just WISH people who couldn't give a TOSS about the back end, would stop making it sound peaches and cream because, just as the Nealein mentioned, just as Richard had to realize and just as MANY understand, for any of us expats, they either haven't a flipping clue or are trying to sell you something and don't care…. so take your pick!

The reality is you need to learn this market… and Alex, if they do, the Jay/Alex theory on life will seem lovely (unless you have the property fetish/addiction)…….

Moi!

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    emma171 wrote:
    Alex – you are missing the point – I am talking about the Aussies out there that AREN'T licensed agents who charge say $4k – $5k to source the property but THEN charge the additional first month's rent….. I know just picking a little bit. I don't ever sound as intelligent as you ,Jay , or your brother. LOL my humor..

SOOOOOOO – you just have to be aware – you buy the property + you repair the property (separate company)  + you rent the property (separate company for many of these spruikers) = x cost + y cost + z cost…….

NOT a seamless and integrated process but 3 succinct companies who can equally blame each other for why your property wasn't repaired/rented/bought etc quickly enough…..Agree 100 % their …

Why not just find a real estate agent (NOT charging you 4-5k for the pleasure), then find a gen contractor and then find a property management company…..oh, and yes, ANY good real estate agent (GOOD, ask around if they deal with foreign investors), will SERIOUSLY have the contacts…. you will have to interview your agents though.

I am just making the point that if you are a spruiker and aren't legally able to do x + y + z, you are ONLY going to be able to separate it out but just remember if you are a buyer dealing with said spruiker then you ARE dealing with 3 entities… not exactly a single "buck stops here" scenario. This is going to become a  major issue soon. With the amount of homes being sold to international investors.

There is no "win" – no "easy" – just be very very aware that the second you are reverting to your Oz based person as to why your property hasn't been repaired or rented, you ARE dealing with, in the most part, THREE companies…..

On the PLUS side – Alex, you and Jay have it somewhat nailed…….but that IS my point – I just WISH people who couldn't give a TOSS about the back end, would stop making it sound peaches and cream because, just as the Nealein mentioned, just as Richard had to realize and just as MANY understand, for any of us expats, they either haven't a flipping clue or are trying to sell you something and don't care…. so take your pick!

The reality is you need to learn this market… and Alex, if they do, the Jay/Alex theory on life will seem lovely (unless you have the property fetish/addiction)…….So true I am still learning Charlotte and I live here. So many changes in the market happening almost daily.Right now I am more heading to Jay's module where we are trying to keep things. Even here in Charlotte having more competition to buy homes.

Seems the buy and hold makes the most sense.

Are you in Atlanta now.I got to head down at months end we got one house left if you have some time to meet. We sold the other 5 actually closing them today. Be so happy to be out of that market so we can just focus on Charlotte

Moi!

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

I’ve just been emailed a 55k deal courtesy of a Sydney based US RE investment company check this out, this is what the email says:

“3 BEDROOM
    2.5 BATH
    BUILT 1999
    2 CAR GARAGE
    2190 Sq Ft
    Potential Rent: $750 – $850

This home was sold in 2003 for $138,000. This is a single family home and not a condo. Amazing deal. To rebuild a home like this will cost more than two times the asking price. At this price you get the following:

Renovations to be completed within 30 days of closing
    Free tenant placement
    Guaranteed rent after 30 days of closing
    1 year warranty on all repairs completed”

…….What the pitch doesn’t mention is that this property is currently listed as pending on the open market @40k, the 2011 tax assessed value has been dropped to $24,912, other similar properties nearby are listed and have been sold for around 40k as early as last month.
    Ouch!

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

TZ,

Nice to see the forum readers are realizing how much data they can get for free on line,

I suppose you went to the Public RMLS website put in the address and up popped the property as pending… Probably to a local wholesaler then being sold through the normal marketing channels… And being pending @ 40k does not mean it will sell for that. Pending is only the last listed price it could have sold for more or less than the pending amount… Only realtors who are members of the MLS have access to the Sold data.. And or the counties GIS system but usally depending on county takes anywhere for 2 to 6 weeks to update.

Assessed values have no true bearing on properties value either being too high or too low…

Profile photo of TZTZ
    @tz

Yes Jay that’s pretty much how it happened! I’m aware of the limitations on the public sites – so I’m really pleased that as of yesterday I finally have full direct access to the MLS : D

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

maybe there should be a spot on this site that has the most common links in the  markets that are attracting the most interest.

One could look for their city and wha La there is 5 to 10 links,,, county GIS,,, county tax Assessor, Public MLS, Zillow and Trillia ( even those are notorisly bad for true values they provide other details) On line trustee services where you can see real time foreclosures just like US investor see them ( some of these you have to pay and join to gain access others are free.

one that I think the audiance would like to check out is:

http://www.northwwesttrusteeservices.com

just go on sign in and play around you can see whats happening forelcosure wise in the Pacific Northwest and  other areas they service.

Just remember this is just one of Hundreds of companies that prosecute foreclosures in the US….. But these are the true sources of these foreclosure deals… these are the guys I buy mine from this is what buying a bank foreclosure looks like, You do not buy direct from a bank you buy from one of these services the banks hired to cry the sale at the steps.

Let me know if anyone likes this  would like to get some feedback

Profile photo of Aj_RichoAj_Richo
    Participant
    @aj_richo

Hi Jay,

Slight typo in the website, http://www.nortwesttrusteeservices.com

but useful information , I haven't fully explored it and foreclosure.com yet, but I used the appraisal links from a particular property to find all the County info on the property.

Probably a dumb question, but with the properties on foreclosure.com I presume you have to physically be present to bid for a property on the proposed sale date?

Cheers
    Tony

Participant
    @jayhinrichs

google Northwest Trustee Services… it will give you a link I hit the link I provided and Northwest site came up if you scroll down a little.

Foreclosure.com is more of a zillow type service just general outdated info basically.

Northwest Trustee is the actual Trustee that Sells the property you make your check out to North west trustee when you bid.
    for instance in Georgia its all Attornies offices.. These trustees are all attorney owned just fyi.

In some areas you can hire bidding services.

Like I bought 2 foreclosures in Lehigh acres a few summers ago… Bidding service was 5k each.. I picked them up for ;mid 30's and flipped them to GB buyers.  Pheniox you can find them for 3k or so…

they are hard to get a hold of as of course they get inundated,, and you want to be very careful because your sending the whole purchase price for the house over in Cash… so as I think about it its probably not a suitable route for OZ,,, Unless you had a really good feel for the people your sending your cash too… I can just see it now OZ spruikers setting up bidding services OZ investors sending them money and these guys walk off with your hard earned money and never buy anything…

However you can come over here and bid for yourself…This is were the better capitalized companies get there deals.

JLH

Profile photo of VideoInspectorsVideoInspectors
    @videoinspectors

The topic of this post is why I started my business… Several years ago a UK Investor was referred to me because they had been taken advantage of by not only the company they had purchased nine homes from, but also three property managers in 18 months. The investor had $400,000 tied up into 7 vacant homes in need of rehabs and 2 occupied homes that were in need of repair… it was a very bad situation.

I worked with them by providing video inspections of their properties, helped them find a new property manager and a reputable contractor.
    We went out weekly during the rehabs to provide construction update videos and long story short this investor managed to turn things around.

Anyone investing in the US needs an unbiased advocate that can be their eyes and ears in the market place. The US market has some great opportunities but it also has a few unscrupulous Realtors, property managers and contractors. Here are some suggested guidelines…

1)Be sure to always have someone other than your Realtor inspect the property you’re thinking about buying. 2)Just as important as the property have a clear picture of the neighborhood you’re buying in 3)Do a great deal of research on the company you’re buying from. 4)Make sure the taxes have been paid 5)Be cautious if the company wants to place the property in a LLC and then sell you LLC instead of doing a real estate closing 6)Always make sure the property has a clean title / title policy.

Be careful and good luck!

Profile photo of emma171emma171
    Participant
    @emma171

POSTED THIS BEFORE AND VERY OLD INFO BUT A GOOD STEP THROUGH….

In Atlanta you just have to add termites to the equation……

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000014617 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000014583 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000014583 This is an update as to the auction procedures having now sat down with the title agent who has been emailing me the list of liens and upcoming properties. This email is to provide you with as much information as I have (any errors are with full disclaimer that the below is  given to the knowledge I have at this point). It will hopefully allow you to make grandiose decisions as to whether this may be a route for you. Remember, there is no real estate agent involved with the auctions – nor are their contracts – this is walking up, buying a house with cash up front, paying off any liens, getting title, cleaning it up, fixing it up and renting or potentially down the line flipping etc.

Now those steps explained in detail:

1. The properties that are sold at auction have the potential to be great bargains.

Example: 1905 Emerald Green, 89106 went under the hammer for $40,100 at auction, 2 days later it was listed back on the market for $52k. 1925 Emerald Green was a bank foreclosed property that, whilst 100 sq ft bigger needed a lot of work and was listed for 64k… Just 6 doors down!

1. There is NO due diligence time frame, no inspections, no walk throughs, no anything… You can peer through the windows and guesstimate from there. The roof could be collapsing, the a/c may not work, squatters could have broken every single item in this property and you should probably assume they have.
    2. We do not know for sure which properties will ACTUALLY come up for sale on the day, we have a list that we subscribe to that tells us up to 2 weeks out which properties are SLATED to come up but we do not know at this point:
    • whether there are known liens that make it inadvisable to bid
    • whether it will be postponed
    • what the Trustee’s opening bid will be – which may be 20k over any rational bid you would want to make….– the Trustee represents the primary lien holder… At this point, title is actually still in the Owner’s name who is being foreclosed on and as most of you know, this is the final step before title reverts back the bank and, if the property is passed in at auction. The auctioneer will call initially upon any beneficiaries of the current owner as to whether they wish to bid, they will then say the Trustee’s bid is “x” and if any other offers…. If none, this property will officially become a foreclosed property and appear as such ultimately on Yolanda’s list.
    1. The night before the auction, we receive the list of known liens from the title agent that provides this free to those who are willing to use them ( – I am happy to make that swap!)… This will be as close to a preliminary title report as you can get and with the exception of HOA fees (which it is NOT recommended to bid on as apparently you should always triple the amount of $$ stated on the lien) the agent felt comfortable that it is highly unlikely (although not impossible) for a big unknown. He has said that National Title Agency will guarantee that you would not ever lose money on your purchase as a result of a lien not discovered or revealed… You may not make any money but at the worst case they would have too much to lose based on that. These and any other liens discovered must be paid off by the successful bidder during escrow* before clear title is presented… These liens will show up on the closing statement provided by the title company handling escrow* (*rough approximate is “settlement” time frame in Australia handled by a solicitor).
    2. On the day of the auction, the properties come up in random order – there are between 100 and 150 each day and you just have to sit there, listen carefully to the auctioneers very very fast prattle and wait and hope. Any of the following may happen:
      • The property is withdrawn from the auction (lienholder and owner having worked a deal)
      • The property is postponed from the auction (twice I have had that happen whilst on my “dry” runs)
      • The trustee starts with an opening bid that is waaaayyyy too high (think reserve price by bank)
      • The beneficiaries of the current owner comes in to bid on the property
      • You are outbid
      • You win
    3. To BID at auction you must have a representative acting under Power of Attorney (POA notarized) for and on your behalf with the POA held in the name TITLE WILL BE IN – if that is under an LLC you must have the POA made out to the LLC etc…. POA would in this instance be granted to SelectUSAProperty LLC and be highly limited!… That POA would either

Have cashier’s checks IN THE NAME THAT TITLE WILL BE to match up to the full and total amount of the winning bid – the POA will sign these to the Trustee and be given receipt … This should be to the PRECISE dollar (no change) – so the object of the exercise is to bid by a minimum of 1 penny (1 cent) above the bid before…… Trust me, I have seen these things go to 81 cents to win!

• EXAMPLE: The maximum you decide you will bid up to on Property X is $50,101.51. You should have cashier’s checks as follows: 3 x 10k, 4 x 5k and 5 x $20…. Take $5.00 in small change as well….

OR….OPTION….RATHER THAN HAVE ME PHYSICALLY TAKE THE CHECKS….:
        YOU CAN USE A COMPANY THAT RESIDES IN THE SAME BUILDING AS THE AUCTIONS TO HOLD YOUR FUNDS….Their name is: US LS…. They are a Licensed Escrow Agency – the president is a guy called Mark Gross. Their website is http://www.usls.biz <http://www.usls.biz>  and his email is [email protected]
        … From what I know they would work like the trust account at Silver Canyon… The company is licensed and bonded and charge $300 per transaction… So, let’s say that you deposited $75k with them and gave SelectUSAProperty LLC POA for a property that you won at only $60,500k, they would charge you $300, cut the check for $60,500 and you would have a residual balance with them of $14,200. You can log on to see this balance etc. Please note that I do not have ANY personal experience of this company and can not vouch for them beyond knowing that some of the wholesalers are using this company as their fund holding mechanism. Please do due diligence – they are bonded and insured but I am guessing so was Enron!

1. After the hammer drops – assuming you are the winner…
          1. You are presented with a receipt (Actually immediately after it would be presented to the representative from SelectUSAProperty LLC … Me… )
          2. Receipt is taken up to the title agency company to open escrow (situated in the building inside and upstairs from where the auctions are held) and open escrow just as “normal” as we do with a foreclosed property – in 7 to 21 days you will receive the deed, we take the deed, clear and pay off any liens, pay title insurance and other title closing fees and title is then transferred to you…NOT INCLUDING THE LIENS, BUDGET $1250 for TITLE COSTS AND TRANSFER FEES INCLUDING TITLE INSURANCE (protecting you from any further liens etc) on a property under about $80k

PERSONAL OPINION ONLY ON STRATEGY (IE DO NOT NECESSARILY AGREE OR FOLLOW THIS AND DON’T SUE ME FOR THE BELOW….)
        … Strategy is the BIG thing… If you choose to go down this path, and please this isn’t for everyone – NO DUE DILIGENCE is massive…

Firstly…there is little point in trying for just one property…the chances are it doesn’t even come up! Basically about 2 weeks out my personal recommendation and thoughts that are merely OPINION only is:

1. Choose zips/areas/age/type of house that you either know well or discuss with me
          2. Pick 10 properties from the above that WE KNOW WELL – we know what has sold, we know what it rents for, we know the street, the neighbourhood etc… And ones that you would feel very comfortable bidding on that are slated to come up 2 weeks out do as much indirect due diligence as possible on these in that time frame including me attempting to peer through any windows, talk to the occupants and ask if I could take a peak etc (they may WELL still be occupied)….
          3. Choose CAREFULLY the MAXIMUM BID you would make on these…. I tried to think of it like this: The MAX bid should be calculated roughly as:
            1. what is a known BANK FORECLOSURE COMP on that street or close to (not MARKET… We don’t want market comps, we want a bargain compared to bank foreclosed – or at least come in on par)….
            2. Calculate backwards ASSUMING THE WORST as per the following:
              1. Clean Up – these aren’t tidy houses – these have tenant leftovers/garbage in them…. $1,000
              2. EVERYTHING broken or needing repairing:  
              • A/C = $4000,
              • Repaint whole house = $1,200,
              • Carpet = $1,200,
              • ALL appliances = $1,200,
              • Light fixtures/labour, broken heaven only knows what = $1,600
              • New garage door and opener = $1,000
              • New Water heater = $800
              • TOTAL = $12,000 = your max bid is a recent equal bank foreclosed comp less 12k!! That probably gives you something BETTER than a bank foreclosed because even the foreclosed properties need about 4k of work!
          4. Assume that of these 10 that you have mulled over for 7 days: 3 will have cost prohibitive liens, 3 get postponed, 2 have a Trustee starting bid over your maximum and 2 may actually go to bid….
          5. Further assume of those 2, you get out bid on at least 1….YAY… You MAY get the chance of buying one but you have no idea which of your original 10 that might be!!!
          6. Make your bid (in increments of 1 penny or 1 cent over the person before you!), stand firm to your maximum amount and cross your fingers. I personally feel that we are retail purchasers – the wholesalers HAVE to make a mark up and I feel that is our edge… We aren’t there for that so we SHOULD dollar for dollar probably have the capacity to outbid them

Participant
          @jayhinrichs
          VideoInspectors wrote:
          The topic of this post is why I started my business… Several years ago a UK Investor was referred to me because they had been taken advantage of by not only the company they had purchased nine homes from, but also three property managers in 18 months. The investor had $400,000 tied up into 7 vacant homes in need of rehabs and 2 occupied homes that were in need of repair… it was a very bad situation. I worked with them by providing video inspections of their properties, helped them find a new property manager and a reputable contractor. We went out weekly during the rehabs to provide construction update videos and long story short this investor managed to turn things around. Anyone investing in the US needs an unbiased advocate that can be their eyes and ears in the market place. The US market has some great opportunities but it also has a few unscrupulous Realtors, property managers and contractors. Here are some suggested guidelines… 1)Be sure to always have someone other than your Realtor inspect the property you're thinking about buying. 2)Just as important as the property have a clear picture of the neighborhood you're buying in 3)Do a great deal of research on the company you're buying from. 4)Make sure the taxes have been paid 5)Be cautious if the company wants to place the property in a LLC and then sell you LLC instead of doing a real estate closing 6)Always make sure the property has a clean title / title policy. Be careful and good luck!

As well as why I started my company TWH  because i saw countless hundreds if not thousands of California investors getting totally hammered by the nice turn key company and there hand picked contractors and property managers.

Although I got to say these us guys have nothing on the GB and OZ spruikers out there,,, the US guys if they acted as some of these OZ and GB so called property providers marketers or whatever they would be sitting in jail right now. As the FBI would have gone after the ones that are US citizens for sure…

Participant
          @jayhinrichs
          emma171 wrote:
          POSTED THIS BEFORE AND VERY OLD INFO BUT A GOOD STEP THROUGH….

In Atlanta you just have to add termites to the equation……

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000014617 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000014583 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000014583 This is an update as to the auction procedures having now sat down with the title agent who has been emailing me the list of liens and upcoming properties. This email is to provide you with as much information as I have (any errors are with full disclaimer that the below is  given to the knowledge I have at this point). It will hopefully allow you to make grandiose decisions as to whether this may be a route for you. Remember, there is no real estate agent involved with the auctions – nor are their contracts – this is walking up, buying a house with cash up front, paying off any liens, getting title, cleaning it up, fixing it up and renting or potentially down the line flipping etc.

Now those steps explained in detail:

1. The properties that are sold at auction have the potential to be great bargains.

Example: 1905 Emerald Green, 89106 went under the hammer for $40,100 at auction, 2 days later it was listed back on the market for $52k. 1925 Emerald Green was a bank foreclosed property that, whilst 100 sq ft bigger needed a lot of work and was listed for 64k… Just 6 doors down!

1. There is NO due diligence time frame, no inspections, no walk throughs, no anything… You can peer through the windows and guesstimate from there. The roof could be collapsing, the a/c may not work, squatters could have broken every single item in this property and you should probably assume they have.
          2. We do not know for sure which properties will ACTUALLY come up for sale on the day, we have a list that we subscribe to that tells us up to 2 weeks out which properties are SLATED to come up but we do not know at this point:
          • whether there are known liens that make it inadvisable to bid
          • whether it will be postponed
          • what the Trustee’s opening bid will be – which may be 20k over any rational bid you would want to make….– the Trustee represents the primary lien holder… At this point, title is actually still in the Owner’s name who is being foreclosed on and as most of you know, this is the final step before title reverts back the bank and, if the property is passed in at auction. The auctioneer will call initially upon any beneficiaries of the current owner as to whether they wish to bid, they will then say the Trustee’s bid is “x” and if any other offers…. If none, this property will officially become a foreclosed property and appear as such ultimately on Yolanda’s list.
          1. The night before the auction, we receive the list of known liens from the title agent that provides this free to those who are willing to use them ( – I am happy to make that swap!)… This will be as close to a preliminary title report as you can get and with the exception of HOA fees (which it is NOT recommended to bid on as apparently you should always triple the amount of $$ stated on the lien) the agent felt comfortable that it is highly unlikely (although not impossible) for a big unknown. He has said that National Title Agency will guarantee that you would not ever lose money on your purchase as a result of a lien not discovered or revealed… You may not make any money but at the worst case they would have too much to lose based on that. These and any other liens discovered must be paid off by the successful bidder during escrow* before clear title is presented… These liens will show up on the closing statement provided by the title company handling escrow* (*rough approximate is “settlement” time frame in Australia handled by a solicitor).
          2. On the day of the auction, the properties come up in random order – there are between 100 and 150 each day and you just have to sit there, listen carefully to the auctioneers very very fast prattle and wait and hope. Any of the following may happen:
            • The property is withdrawn from the auction (lienholder and owner having worked a deal)
            • The property is postponed from the auction (twice I have had that happen whilst on my “dry” runs)
            • The trustee starts with an opening bid that is waaaayyyy too high (think reserve price by bank)
            • The beneficiaries of the current owner comes in to bid on the property
            • You are outbid
            • You win
          3. To BID at auction you must have a representative acting under Power of Attorney (POA notarized) for and on your behalf with the POA held in the name TITLE WILL BE IN – if that is under an LLC you must have the POA made out to the LLC etc…. POA would in this instance be granted to SelectUSAProperty LLC and be highly limited!… That POA would either

Have cashier’s checks IN THE NAME THAT TITLE WILL BE to match up to the full and total amount of the winning bid – the POA will sign these to the Trustee and be given receipt … This should be to the PRECISE dollar (no change) – so the object of the exercise is to bid by a minimum of 1 penny (1 cent) above the bid before…… Trust me, I have seen these things go to 81 cents to win!

• EXAMPLE: The maximum you decide you will bid up to on Property X is $50,101.51. You should have cashier’s checks as follows: 3 x 10k, 4 x 5k and 5 x $20…. Take $5.00 in small change as well….

OR….OPTION….RATHER THAN HAVE ME PHYSICALLY TAKE THE CHECKS….:
              YOU CAN USE A COMPANY THAT RESIDES IN THE SAME BUILDING AS THE AUCTIONS TO HOLD YOUR FUNDS….Their name is: US LS…. They are a Licensed Escrow Agency – the president is a guy called Mark Gross. Their website is http://www.usls.biz <http://www.usls.biz>  and his email is [email protected]
              … From what I know they would work like the trust account at Silver Canyon… The company is licensed and bonded and charge $300 per transaction… So, let’s say that you deposited $75k with them and gave SelectUSAProperty LLC POA for a property that you won at only $60,500k, they would charge you $300, cut the check for $60,500 and you would have a residual balance with them of $14,200. You can log on to see this balance etc. Please note that I do not have ANY personal experience of this company and can not vouch for them beyond knowing that some of the wholesalers are using this company as their fund holding mechanism. Please do due diligence – they are bonded and insured but I am guessing so was Enron!

1. After the hammer drops – assuming you are the winner…
                1. You are presented with a receipt (Actually immediately after it would be presented to the representative from SelectUSAProperty LLC … Me… )
                2. Receipt is taken up to the title agency company to open escrow (situated in the building inside and upstairs from where the auctions are held) and open escrow just as “normal” as we do with a foreclosed property – in 7 to 21 days you will receive the deed, we take the deed, clear and pay off any liens, pay title insurance and other title closing fees and title is then transferred to you…NOT INCLUDING THE LIENS, BUDGET $1250 for TITLE COSTS AND TRANSFER FEES INCLUDING TITLE INSURANCE (protecting you from any further liens etc) on a property under about $80k

PERSONAL OPINION ONLY ON STRATEGY (IE DO NOT NECESSARILY AGREE OR FOLLOW THIS AND DON’T SUE ME FOR THE BELOW….)
              … Strategy is the BIG thing… If you choose to go down this path, and please this isn’t for everyone – NO DUE DILIGENCE is massive…

Firstly…there is little point in trying for just one property…the chances are it doesn’t even come up! Basically about 2 weeks out my personal recommendation and thoughts that are merely OPINION only is:

1. Choose zips/areas/age/type of house that you either know well or discuss with me
                2. Pick 10 properties from the above that WE KNOW WELL – we know what has sold, we know what it rents for, we know the street, the neighbourhood etc… And ones that you would feel very comfortable bidding on that are slated to come up 2 weeks out do as much indirect due diligence as possible on these in that time frame including me attempting to peer through any windows, talk to the occupants and ask if I could take a peak etc (they may WELL still be occupied)….
                3. Choose CAREFULLY the MAXIMUM BID you would make on these…. I tried to think of it like this: The MAX bid should be calculated roughly as:
                  1. what is a known BANK FORECLOSURE COMP on that street or close to (not MARKET… We don’t want market comps, we want a bargain compared to bank foreclosed – or at least come in on par)….
                  2. Calculate backwards ASSUMING THE WORST as per the following:
                    1. Clean Up – these aren’t tidy houses – these have tenant leftovers/garbage in them…. $1,000
                    2. EVERYTHING broken or needing repairing:  
                    • A/C = $4000,
                    • Repaint whole house = $1,200,
                    • Carpet = $1,200,
                    • ALL appliances = $1,200,
                    • Light fixtures/labour, broken heaven only knows what = $1,600
                    • New garage door and opener = $1,000
                    • New Water heater = $800
                    • TOTAL = $12,000 = your max bid is a recent equal bank foreclosed comp less 12k!! That probably gives you something BETTER than a bank foreclosed because even the foreclosed properties need about 4k of work!
                4. Assume that of these 10 that you have mulled over for 7 days: 3 will have cost prohibitive liens, 3 get postponed, 2 have a Trustee starting bid over your maximum and 2 may actually go to bid….
                5. Further assume of those 2, you get out bid on at least 1….YAY… You MAY get the chance of buying one but you have no idea which of your original 10 that might be!!!
                6. Make your bid (in increments of 1 penny or 1 cent over the person before you!), stand firm to your maximum amount and cross your fingers. I personally feel that we are retail purchasers – the wholesalers HAVE to make a mark up and I feel that is our edge… We aren’t there for that so we SHOULD dollar for dollar probably have the capacity to outbid them

1. Emma,

Great post couple points of parlimentary procedures:

1. State of GA has by law 45 days to send the Trustees deed to the buyer and they take much longer in a many cases I had one that went over 90 and know of others that have gone over 6 months…. Never had one in 7 to 21 days… those are west coast time lines…..

2. Not all Trustees will take checks made out to an individual and then signed over… I have won many sales because I had my check correctly titled… Some will only take the check if its made out to them.. Or some other nominee they name,,, you find this out with experince. Here in Oregon there are about 10 different services and they are all different you just learn who wants what.

3. The trustees sale wipes out virtually all liens,,, Its a big argument over HOA fee's some I bully and get them wiped out others we have to pay,,, all other liens are extinguished that are junior to the lien being foreclosed, Except IRS and or State income tax liens. And then these liens will sunset in 6 months if the IRS or State does not redeem the property, In over 500 foreclosures I have bought over the years I had only 2 redeemed by the IRS. And that is because they had Massive true equity,, IE I paid 22k for a house in Washington that was worth over 400k… And even at that I just paid an additional 180k that paid off the IRS and I still got the home… Same with the other one.

4. It will take you a week to 10 days in GA to confirm you have a good sale… Homeowners attornies are notorious for filing BK the morning of the Trustees auction… If that happens to you they just mail you back your check.. they do not owe you anything…

5. If you have a holdover owner or tenant there are new federal laws dealing with these… If its a tenant and they have a valid lease that they keep current you just can't boot them out.

6. As for having cash with a custodian I would think you could get this done at a bank for free… Just notify them to have a cashiers check made out to who ever and give them the name of the person who is coming in to get it.
                Have them check ID and your done… This is why I ALWAYS make my checks out to the attorney or Trustee services if not other wise specsified… Not to an  individuals name my included ( again because some trustees with not accept an endorsed check) and the person who has your money has a check made out to an attorney or US trustee there is no way they are going to steal your money,, If you do not get the bid the check it returned, If it is never returned it can't be negotiated and you make a claime for lost or stolen check…( never had this happen of course)

7. As emma pointed out,,, you will RARELY if ever lock in on a property and buy that specific property for the reasons she mentioned,, YOu have to have perramiters and pick what comes up… Never know when someone comes out of the wood pile and out bids you… or like emma says its postponed, etc etc.

8. Comman rookie mistakes

1. bought wrong property.

2. bought a second lien thinking it was a first… And there is no do over you hand over your check its gone by law.

3. Property is so thourghly trashed that your 12k rehab is really 30k and there is no profit.

4. Major structural problems.

5. If you were not aware its on a well and septic either of those could be bad and house is not livable.

6. Undisclosed Senior tax defferals that you never knew about and only learn about when it happens to you the first time.

Its a fun exhilirating game,,, and you would be surprised how much money will be sitting at one of these sales.
              when its GA and once a month.. and a hundred or so props are going there will be 50 people plus with a few walking around with a few million dollars in checks.. there could be 10 million plus in buying power in this one spot….

Good ole boys… Got to watch out for the regulars they will try to control and dominate the sales and manipulate who buys.. If they see a newbie competition they may very well bid up every house this person bids on just so they will get discourage and quit.. Even to the point of buying houses that make no money,, The newbie gets frustrated and pays too much or buys a dog and has a bad experince.

In my mind to play in this game you need to have 500 to 1 mil in cash that day and ready to pull the trigger,, be happy with your winners dump your losers and call it cost of doing business because everyone buying at auction will buy a lemon, thats a given.