All Topics / Overseas Deals / A question for formites/investors from USA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor

I would be keen on specifics on why you are investing in specific areas the pros and cons.

I mentioned in previous post that I am investing in Atlanta. I do believe however that prices may still fall back. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks  WI

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc
    worldinvestor wrote:
    I would be keen on specifics on why you are investing in specific areas the pros and cons.

I mentioned in previous post that I am investing in Atlanta. I do believe however that prices may still fall back. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks  WI

I only deal in Atlanta and Charlotte NC

My thoughts are the rents will need to come down in Atlanta. As the flood of foreclosures hit the market.Prices are still going down.

I say this because what we bid on 6 months ago to now.I offer less and start my offers way lower.Most of my old offers were in the $30k now in the $20k range.With that being said the later months in the USA banks are always more negotiable.Which could be the reason for the lower numbers.

Now in Charlotte there are not as many foreclosures.Well let me change that there are alot of the homes.Just not the prices I am willing to buy at. Rental market still holding strong but turning down more renters then normal. I try to take the time of year into consideration when buying and renting homes. Nov and Dec always bad months for rental income in the USA .With the holidays 2 in row ( thanksgiving and Christmas) At the same time the first of the year great time for rentals.With the most blue collar workers in the USA doing rapid tax refund.This is one time the average person will have lump sum of money. To pay deposit and first months rent. I have had alot of tenants pay me for 3 to 6 months .During this first month  of the new year .

Alex

Profile photo of worldinvestorworldinvestor
    Participant
    @worldinvestor
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:

Thanks  WI

My thoughts are the rents will need to come down in Atlanta. As the flood of foreclosures hit the market.Prices are still going down.

I say this because what we bid on 6 months ago to now.I offer less and start my offers way lower.Most of my old offers were in the $30k now in the $20k range.With that being said the later months in the USA banks are always more negotiable.Which could be the reason for the lower numbers.

Now in Charlotte there are not as many foreclosures.Well let me change that there are alot of the homes.Just not the prices I am willing to buy at. Rental market still holding strong but turning down more renters then normal. I try to take the time of year into consideration when buying and renting homes. Nov and Dec always bad months for rental income in the USA .With the holidays 2 in row ( thanksgiving and Christmas) At the same time the first of the year great time for rentals.With the most blue collar workers in the USA doing rapid tax refund.This is one time the average person will have lump sum of money. To pay deposit and first months rent. I have had alot of tenants pay me for 3 to 6 months .During this first month  of the new year .

Alex

Hi Alex
    why will rents go down, what happens to those who lost their homes, don't they rent?

Participant
    @alex-sc
    worldinvestor wrote:
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:

Thanks  WI

Alex

Hi Alex
    why will rents go down, what happens to those who lost their homes, don't they rent?

Yes but reality if they lost their homes could not afford it. How will afford higher payments with rents.

I think there will be  a flood of homes on the market after the first of the year. Again all  this is speculation .

Alex

Participant
    @worldinvestor
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:

Thanks  WI

Alex

Hi Alex

Yes but reality if they lost their homes could not afford it. How will afford higher payments with rents.

I think there will be  a flood of homes on the market after the first of the year. Again all  this is speculation .

Alex

Hi Alex
    I think the Atlanta market is very tight, I am finding it very difficult to source suitable foreclosures in my price range. Perhaps this will change, but the banks are strategic when releasing foreclosures.

If you are right regarding rents,  how are you personally mitigating this risk.?

I hear folks in US like bigger homes, a investor I know suggested purchasing larger homes so you have perhaps the possibility of 2 families sharing, not sure whether this would work. Any thoughts.

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

World Investor.

All good questions. 

1. Prices falling,,, In atlanta who really cares if they fall 10 or 20% are you going to sell tomorrow???? The prices are already off market hi's by 50% or better. The prices are now down so low that 10% drop means 4k big deal.  10 or 20% drop on a 400k home is a big deal. So those that do not take action thinking they can buy for 10% less will be trying to time the market and will miss the bottom no doubt. Luck is the only way you time the bottom. There is no investment expert that will tell you otherwise. Just like timing the top.  thats my take on price.

2. Amercians by and large do not share homes, other than having a child come back to live with them, or elderly parent. If they did the rental market would really tank.  The Asian's and Mexicans though will definatly have 2 or 3 generations in one house. You have to take into consideration your demographics in the South East, 50% or better African american, as a demographic here in the US they have the most disrupted family structure of any group by far. And a very large % do not even know who their family is much less live together. Its a Matriarchial society. women and Mothers are the strenght of the family unit. The Men come and go. Many children have no idea who their father is, thats where the term Baby Mama and Baby Daddy comes from in the US.
    If you watch American sports you will see all sorts of Human interest stories with our Black star's and how they were raised by their mother and or grandmother and never new or met the father.  Just the way it is.
    So in Atlanta your not going to get tight cohesive family units living in close quarters.

3. What I  see in the rental market is on par with what Alex is talking about, there is no question huge amounts of properties being bought by Investors instead of going to Owner Occ's… Now this is great for investor short term long term not so great for neighborhoods if they get over run with rentals.

4. The feedback we get from others in the industry is there are those that claim to have renters lined up for homes in Atlanta and if thats the case they are not doing enough DD on the tenant and are going to have a lot of issues with non payment trashing of units excetra. there is no doubt a lot of rental inventory and their are renters. We are not a volume shop for our fully managed program. So In each of our 4 markets we add 2 to 4 homes a month.. company wide thats a nice pace 8 to 10 a month however in our market we are very very selective on who we rent to. Much more so than say one of the big volume players that needs to get tenants in the houses to appeaze their client and live up to their representations that induced an investor to invest in the first place. We get an average ( like Alex in Charlotte) 4 to 6 applications before we take one. We do some Sec 8 but hey have to qualify as well. There are property managers that will slam sec. 8 in just for the rent realiability factor, but the tenant can be a bad one on  phycially and do more damage then they are worth.

If your having problems finding foreclosures at your price range I can only take that to mean your looking at super low end prices. there are thousands of houses that can be bought just off the MLS for 30 to 60k…

The real trick is picking the best bang for the buck in the best areas and neighborhoods.. Proximety to the freeway for instance is huge in Atlanta. And Atlanta is geographically a very very large spread out MetroPlex.

Participant
    @worldinvestor
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    World Investor.

All good questions. 

1. Prices falling,,, In atlanta who really cares if they fall 10 or 20% are you going to sell tomorrow???? The prices are already off market hi's by 50% or better. The prices are now down so low that 10% drop means 4k big deal.  10 or 20% drop on a 400k home is a big deal. So those that do not take action thinking they can buy for 10% less will be trying to time the market and will miss the bottom no doubt. Luck is the only way you time the bottom. There is no investment expert that will tell you otherwise. Just like timing the top.  thats my take on price.

2. Amercians by and large do not share homes, other than having a child come back to live with them, or elderly parent. If they did the rental market would really tank.  The Asian's and Mexicans though will definatly have 2 or 3 generations in one house. You have to take into consideration your demographics in the South East, 50% or better African american, as a demographic here in the US they have the most disrupted family structure of any group by far. And a very large % do not even know who their family is much less live together. Its a Matriarchial society. women and Mothers are the strenght of the family unit. The Men come and go. Many children have no idea who their father is, thats where the term Baby Mama and Baby Daddy comes from in the US.
    If you watch American sports you will see all sorts of Human interest stories with our Black star's and how they were raised by their mother and or grandmother and never new or met the father.  Just the way it is.
    So in Atlanta your not going to get tight cohesive family units living in close quarters.

3. What I  see in the rental market is on par with what Alex is talking about, there is no question huge amounts of properties being bought by Investors instead of going to Owner Occ's… Now this is great for investor short term long term not so great for neighborhoods if they get over run with rentals.

4. The feedback we get from others in the industry is there are those that claim to have renters lined up for homes in Atlanta and if thats the case they are not doing enough DD on the tenant and are going to have a lot of issues with non payment trashing of units excetra. there is no doubt a lot of rental inventory and their are renters. We are not a volume shop for our fully managed program. So In each of our 4 markets we add 2 to 4 homes a month.. company wide thats a nice pace 8 to 10 a month however in our market we are very very selective on who we rent to. Much more so than say one of the big volume players that needs to get tenants in the houses to appeaze their client and live up to their representations that induced an investor to invest in the first place. We get an average ( like Alex in Charlotte) 4 to 6 applications before we take one. We do some Sec 8 but hey have to qualify as well. There are property managers that will slam sec. 8 in just for the rent realiability factor, but the tenant can be a bad one on  phycially and do more damage then they are worth.

If your having problems finding foreclosures at your price range I can only take that to mean your looking at super low end prices. there are thousands of houses that can be bought just off the MLS for 30 to 60k…

The real trick is picking the best bang for the buck in the best areas and neighborhoods.. Proximety to the freeway for instance is huge in Atlanta. And Atlanta is geographically a very very large spread out MetroPlex.

Thanks for your comments, very interesting.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    worldinvestor wrote:
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:
    Alex SC wrote:
    worldinvestor wrote:

I mentioned in previous post that I am investing in Atlanta. I do believe however that prices may still fall back. Your thoughts would be appreciated.  With the amount of deals coming on the market.I think we will see a slight increase in prices.Then when the market get flooded we should see a drop.I could be wrong. Just sitting here talking to quite a few investors who not only buy but live in Atlanta. Some have lived there 20 plus years.

Thanks  WI

Alex

Hi Alex

Alex

Hi Alex
    I think the Atlanta market is very tight, I am finding it very difficult to source suitable foreclosures in my price range. Perhaps this will change, but the banks are strategic when releasing foreclosures.  Banks make less sense then do investors some time..hard to get a grasp on what they are doing.I try to watch  the moves our government , wall street , banks are working on or proposing. Just hard to tell. What I do see prices are lower then before.I just worry we are renting to people who lost there homes.I see people here in the USA and over seas thinking 20 % returns will hold long term.  I don't see it …Think alot of people will be upset if rentals  income does drop.

If you are right regarding rents,  how are you personally mitigating this risk.? Already put another system in place . We are working on transitioning  to owner finance the homes. Now the length of term is going to be the Key.  This could be a win win situation for all involved.

With out sharing to much we are basing these leases on 4 years , 8 years , 12 years.

Well that's all for now.

Alex

I hear folks in US like bigger homes, a investor I know suggested purchasing larger homes so you have perhaps the possibility of 2 families sharing, not sure whether this would work. Any thoughts.

Participant
    @alex-sc
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    World Investor.

All good questions. 

1. Prices falling,,, In atlanta who really cares if they fall 10 or 20% are you going to sell tomorrow???? The prices are already off market hi's by 50% or better. The prices are now down so low that 10% drop means 4k big deal.  10 or 20% drop on a 400k home is a big deal. So those that do not take action thinking they can buy for 10% less will be trying to time the market and will miss the bottom no doubt. Luck is the only way you time the bottom. There is no investment expert that will tell you otherwise. Just like timing the top.  thats my take on price. ( AA an investor I was buying houses in the hood for $25k , now I can buy houses in nice areas for under $20k . So I don't really care what the experts say.I am going off for me personally over 15 years off investing. Again we buy in bulk so I will keep what we don't sell.Cash flow is what I am after..

So in Atlanta your not going to get tight cohesive family units living in close quarters.( Jay says it rougher then I will but so true)

3. What I  see in the rental market is on par with what Alex is talking about, there is no question huge amounts of properties being bought by Investors instead of going to Owner Occ's… Now this is great for investor short term long term not so great for neighborhoods if they get over run with rentals. Lithonia is perfect example if any one thinks I am full of it. Type in any address in Lithonia on Zillow notice the little red and yellow flags and purple flags. I am willing to bet les then 20 % are OCC but now are rentals. When a retail area becomes a rental area it's value will drop.

4. The feedback we get from others in the industry is there are those that claim to have renters lined up for homes in Atlanta and if thats the case they are not doing enough DD on the tenant and are going to have a lot of issues with non payment trashing of units excetra. there is no doubt a lot of rental inventory and their are renters. We are not a volume shop for our fully managed program. So In each of our 4 markets we add 2 to 4 homes a month.. company wide thats a nice pace 8 to 10 a month however in our market we are very very selective on who we rent to. Much more so than say one of the big volume players that needs to get tenants in the houses to appeaze their client and live up to their representations that induced an investor to invest in the first place. We get an average ( like Alex in Charlotte) 4 to 6 applications before we take one. We do some Sec 8 but hey have to qualify as well. There are property managers that will slam sec. 8 in just for the rent realiability factor, but the tenant can be a bad one on  phycially and do more damage then they are worth. I own the management company for the homes  in Rock Hill SC and Charlotte NC. I can assure you  I have been doing this for years.We have some great referrals but are turning down more tenants for Charlotte and Rock Hill then before. The group running things in Atlanta  for us are seeing the same thing.So for any Aussie or American saying you have a waiting list of ready available tenants.Sorry you are full of it and taking people for a ride.  We do have some people who pre qualify and we then find a home for them. Our current list of pre approved is 4 deep.

If your having problems finding foreclosures at your price range I can only take that to mean your looking at super low end prices. there are thousands of houses that can be bought just off the MLS for 30 to 60k… Depends on what you are looking…Just saw a house I bidding $35k on an Australian group purchased ( Well not sure what they purchased it for but they are selling it in Low 60 K with $15k or more rehab( I know this because they did not close and trying to flip the house first.. Same house I bid $35k and $45k was my highest and best. Type in any address on zillow and look for comps on what sold.Go to bottom left side and see what is for sale.  Stop over paying is my advice for you guys…..

God it is a huge city so hard to keep track of what and who…..I will start posting some deals from start to finish, to borrowed cash what I pay.  This should give every one a good idea of what is our strategy for deals in Atlanta …From , purchase , to rehab , to all little cost involved with the deals…

That's the next chapter…

Alex

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.