All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice for young gun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of MrBrightsideMrBrightside
    Participant
    @charlie21

Good morning all :)

Here's my situation:
    24 years old
    Law/Commerce (Finance) undergrad degree
    Don't want to work for the man
    Keen entrepreneurial spirit
    $7K savings
    Part time job = $25K/year
    No debts apart from HECS
    Have travelled extensively for a few years, ready to get my hands dirty

I have read a number of Steve's books and other property investing books over the years. I have researched starting out in the property game with car parks as an investment (low cost, not bad ROE), but am reluctant about where to start.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to start thinking about beginning my portfolio? Should I work for a few more years to save up for a deposit or just dive in head first? Should I begin with low cost investments (such as car parks) and work my way up? Or is it better to save up that deposit and search for rural properties in a few years with great potential?

I am very time rich at the moment (have not begun a grad job), unfortunately also money poor, which is the main reason I am on this site let's be honest!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Charlie

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Charlie

Welcome to the forum.

Land your first job, save like crazy, purchase your first home and take advantage of FHB concessions. Buy something that can be cosmetically improved at minimal costs, have it revalued, tap into the equity and purchase your first IP.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of KimberlyKimberly
    @kimberly

I like what Jamie has to say.

Especially SAVE LIKE CRAZY

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Charlie i tell you a bit abt my situation as In 2004 i was in a very simliar situation to you Charlie;

18 years old
    Financial Mathematics undergrad degree
    Don’t want to work for the man
    Keen entrepreneurial spirit
    1 part time job = $22K/year
    + running my own online retail business – $15k/year
    No debts

At a young age i been interested in property investing ( since my parents are part time- property developers ) so i knew what i wanted, where to buy and how…it was a matter of getting the deposit – i didn’t want my parents help with the savings so i did it the old fashion way—save like crazy!.

Bought first place at 19 with the help of my parents as servicing guarantors ( deposit all came from my own savings).
    After uni; worked for GE money and CBA full time for the next 2 years ( + my online retail business )- bought a few properties during this time due to stable income ( full time perm).

Get your first full time job first, but continue to read and look at real estate and locations of places you would feel comfortable investing into, then when you pass probation and your in the position to buy! go for it.
    You could use your parents as deposit guarantors if you wish and they are happy to do so; it’s a personal choice- there are associated risks

Sometimes taking it nice and slow wins the race; as you said you have time on your hands- no point rushing + why can’t you die straight in and STILL work at the same time?? that’s how most ppl do it…it’s not possible to dive straight into IP and retire from the workforce so soon.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Time is on your side.

Keen entrepreneurial spirit needs to be matched by thought .. creativity and impetus. There is no point in having either thought or creativity if you are a 'gunner'.

My minimum for throwing onto a deposit would be 20k. Thats just me and my safety limit. However you can find ways to achieve your property expectations sooner by doing one of the next few things.

Vendor wrapping (sale and packaging for someone who cant deal with the banks properly).
    Deal enhancement. A revamp on an old house at minimal cost that creates maximum value.
    Combined ownership (know a friend?). Lots of Cambodians do that for the first couple years here. Split costs down the middle to reduce arguments.
    Repackaging an existing property. Thats turning something that had one use into something that now has another. And sticking a house on top of a block of land is doing just that. Or splitting a block into 2 or more units with permits. The creativity is up to you.
    Creative settlement terms. This allows you to do your enhancement and marketing while preparing for an onsell already.

If few or none of these terms mean anything to you yet .. then its time for you to plug in and do your research on what you are capable to do.

And for that I wish you the best of luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.