All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice on looking for a property to Subdivide

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of jasedc5rjasedc5r
    Participant
    @jasedc5r

Hi All,

I'm currently looking for a IP with the intend for furture development to 2 to 3 townhouses. This is very new to me.

Was hoping to get your advice on what to look out for when looking for a property to subdivide, what kind of research I could do to see if the property can be sudivided, before placing an offer? I've read a couple of topics on about this. But any further advice on this would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Jacedc

I will let others more capable than me answer some of the more specific parts of your post however i would make sure that you communicate to your mortgage broker that you are looking at building townhouses on the site and ensure they fully understand the mechanics of doing so.

I have seem many a deal come unstuck as the client went direct to the lender and didnt realise the complications of financing such a deal thru certain lenders. This can be either a matter that the dont like multiple properties on the one Title or indeed they dont realise that the security value reduces once the existing house is demolished.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

First step in researching a particular site would be to see if it is broadly possible, so check if there is a covenant on the title restricting development on the lot and then find out the zoning/overlays covering the site.  From there have a chat to a town planner (council or private) or read up on the restrictions/requirements for those zones and overlays.

If you don't have a property in mind yet, I would probably start by honing in on an area or two and researching them to work out if there are preferred development areas etc to determine where best to start looking.  It will probably be useful to talk with both a town planner and a building designer/surveyor to get different ideas on site and area characteristics to look for or avoid.

Regards,

Profile photo of jasedc5rjasedc5r
    Participant
    @jasedc5r

Thanks Richard and Melanie. Great advice!

Participant
    @jasedc5r

Just regarding residential zoning, just wondering what the main differences are. is it best to find a property listed in zone 2? will I have difficulties if I found a property in the other zones? If I could get more clarification on this would be great.

Thanks guys

Participant
    @change-of-plan

Hi,
    It would be useful to give a location/state as planning is state based and then people from that state would be able to give you some advice about zoning.

Regards,

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

There are many many considerations:

Size of block
    Setbacks required by different councils
    Zoning
    Subdivision costs (vary greatly between councils and blow out your end figure.
    Location of existing pipes
    Access (corner blocks are always good)
    Trees (In some councils certain species may not be removed or you have to pay a hefty cost)
    Slope of block (ideally sloping all but towards the street)
    Neighbours if you are smack bang between two nice colonial houses they may not be happy with this
    Plus all the usuals transport, shops, schools etc etc.

Participant
    @jasedc5r

Thanks Melanie, that would help my question. I'm currently looking at properties around Clayton VIC.

Thanks Fredo_4305 for you input.

Participant
    @change-of-plan

Ok, well I'm a planner in Victoria so I can help with zoning information. For the type of development you were talking about any residential zoning would be possible.  Res 2 is broadly used by some councils to indicate "higher density" areas, but units are not prohibited in the other residential areas just controlled.

In that area I would say that a big part of what can be achieved for any given site will have to do with actual site constraints, which goes back to the list that Fredo-4305 wrote.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further.

Regards,

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Jacedc,

I would recommend doing the early sums and understanding what you want from the endeavour.

Here's a simple feasibility exercise that works well:

The 3/3 exercise.
    1/3 = Land acquisition costs
    1/3 = Development costs
    1/3 = Margin (before taxes)

This will help you to understand the the budget and land size constraints.

For example if you purchase land for say $600,000, look to spend a further $600,000 on development costs and to end up with "as if complete" values of $1.8m. In this case it might be 3 dwellings with a value of $600,000 each. This in turn means you would be looking for land suitable to build three dwellings at a cost of $600,000.

Once you have established your budget and land constraints you can more easily communicate this to agents and vendors. Then get some good planning advice prior to making your offer. A consultant will be able to tell you what title and planning constraints exist and will also be able to help with land use planning to ensure it all works.

Best of luck with your research.

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Hi jasedc5r,

Just something for you to consider, planning policy in Monash City Council which Clayton falls within requires 75m2 out of which 35m2  needs to have a minimum dimension of 5m.

With this requirement you might find some properties even with 800m2 in size would have difficulty to fit 3 dwellings whereas a 800m2 in Box Hill would generally have no problem because Whitehorse's planning policy only requires 40m2 secluded private openspace out of which 24m2 with minimum dimension of 3m.

Participant
    @jasedc5r

thanks everyone for taking your time to provide very useful information. This is helping greatly.
    Another question that we have came arcoss, are you able to lease or sell an existing property which say is located on the front of the block and in the process perform works on constructing dwellings at the rear?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes you can certainly lease the property but just make sure you have noted in the Tenancy Agreement that the Tenants ackonwledge that you, your subcontractors and or Professional Consultants may enter the property in order to carry out such activities as they deem necessary in order to lodge a plan of subdivision and the appropriate notrice will be given.

Dont want the Tenants refusing you access to your own block to carry out a survey etc.

In regards to Selling the block then yes certainly you can do this however just bear in mind the Contract would need to be conditional upon the separation of Titles after the approval has been granted by the Council and the consent received from your mortgagee.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi,

Just to reiterate what the other Vic people have said. It’s important in all developments to surround yourself with a great team (in the initial stages you’d be looking for planners, designers, surveyors and real estate agents). Have a look around and see how much townhouses and vacant lots sell for in your targeted area. All the planners I’ve spoken to on this site are fantastic. Zoning information can be found for free via the following link
    http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/jsp/map/PlanningMapsIntro.jsp
    If you click on property information you can get a pdf with a summarised description of your zone and any updates to the planning structure.

If you see this link there is a complete description of the fees you should expect in the process https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/value-adding/4343000?#comment-252239

Also at the following link I’ve recently uploaded a subdivision flowchart for free download. Hopefully will explain things a bit clearer.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jkxmrbthy2s326c

Cheers,
    Ashley Stacey

Participant
    @jasedc5r

Again, Thanks for all your inputs!

Profile photo of ananddanandd
    Participant
    @anandd

I'm looking to sub-divide in Vermont South and need help finding an architect/ draftsman who deals with Whitehorse council and therefore understand their requirement. I'm trying to subdivide a block of land which is 715 sq m in size; however, due to the odd position of the existing dwelling – we won't have more then 220 sq m left for the new dwelling (so idea is to build 10 sq single story or 14-16 sq double story).
    Also, we may have to adjust driveway for the existing dwelling so that we can subdivide avoiding any common driveway.

Any good architect/ draftsman contacts please?

Participant
    @jasedc5r

Hi all,

In anandd case, I was just wondering if council's would approve a double story dwelling at the back of the existing front property which is a single story? Would there be overlooking issues?

Cheers

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

With regard to the last two posts particularly:

715m2 is an adequate size to subdivide, not withstanding any preclusion on title or by planning overlay.

The size of the land (220m2) is more of a practical concern than a statutory concern. That is to say, a density of 2:715m2 is an average of 362.5m2 per dwelling which again is adequate.

120m2 is enough for a well designed 3br dwelling. And there are 9.29m2 to a square.

A separate driveway is usually worth the effort, or you could consider a carriageway easement to avoid common property.

And to jasedc5r's question; council may permit the construction of a double storey dwelling  to the rear of a property (we have had a number approved) but it does require more detailed and sensitive design and planning. The usual issues with this sort of proposal are overlooking and overshadowing. If these two issues (and the other controls) are handled sensitively there is every chance of a permit being granted.

Profile photo of ananddanandd
    Participant
    @anandd

Thanks jasedc5r and christianb. Appreciate your responses.

Christianb, can you please explain what is "carriageway easement "?

Also, can anyone explain the main type of costs (and approx charges) involved in such backyard developments?

Profile photo of dragon_v723dragon_v723
    Participant
    @dragon_v723
    anandd wrote:
    Thanks jasedc5r and christianb. Appreciate your responses.

Christianb, can you please explain what is "carriageway easement "?

Also, can anyone explain the main type of costs (and approx charges) involved in such backyard developments?

googled
    lol

Full and free right for every person who is at any time entitled to an estate or interest in possession in the land herein indicated as the dominant tenement or any part thereof with which the right shall be capable of enjoyment, and every person authorised by that person, to go, pass and repass at all times and for all purposes with or without animals or vehicles or both to and from the said dominant tenement or any such part thereof.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.