All Topics / Help Needed! / Why does no one bid for right to be first to negotiate on passed in property?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of dodo_lurkerdodo_lurker
    Participant
    @dodo_lurker

Hello,

I'm in Vic.

I've been to a few auctions recently for a bit of a look, during which the REA will mention that if there are no successful bids, whoever has made the highest bid will have first rights to negotiation.

However, usually no one bids and the property passes in. Straight afterwards however, the REA is usually surrounded by 2-3 groups keen to negotiate.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't one of these parties put in a bid to ensure they're the first to be able to negotiate? I realise they may not want to give away their hand so to speak, but surely even a ridiculously low bid just before the hammer falls would allow them first dibs on negotiation?

Cheers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Maybe it has to do with the fact that if you bid and you actually win the auction, you are stuck with auction terms.  Negotiate later and perhaps you can get longer settlement, right to get a building inspection done and bail out of the purchase if the results of the inspection are bad, etc etc

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

If you negotiate straight after the auction it's still auction terms.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.