All Topics / Creative Investing / Use Vendor Finance To Buy An Investment Property?

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of Tinsel777Tinsel777
    @tinsel777

No, you didn't offend me Terry. That is ok. I understand your scepticism.

The reason why these laws are not challenged in the High Court is because most people are unaware that they do contradict our constitution & yes you are right, they do become invalid. However what people need to realise is ignorance is not bliss.

In regards to the part of the constitution regarding varible interest rates, I would have to look it up the same as you. I read it/heard it during the many hours I have put into researching this but I am a long way off of becoming an expert on the subject.

There is a strong constitutional movement here in Australia as well as in the UK, Canada & the USA.

People in the Australian movement have been researching & putting this into practise for many number of years now. They would be the ones to talk to specifically about this.

I did however come across these recently. Remember how in a previous post I stated that local governments are unable to make laws, by-laws etc?

Here are a couple of 'template' letters that can be used in regards to local councils trying to enforce their laws.
    http://www.larryhannigan.com/laws01.htm
    http://www.larryhannigan.com/law02.htm

They have already been used very successfully on a number of occasions by individuals.

Who among us would love not to have to to pay council rates? Considering this is after all a property investing site & council rates can add up to a lot.

Here is a link to a letter from the former federal Attorney General confirming what I have just said about the non recognition of local councils. http://www.larryhannigan.com/Attorney_General_Referendum_Letter.pdf

The gentleman who owns & runs this website, as well as many others, has been fighting constitutional battles for many years so he would be a great person to ask about variable interest I'm sure.

If I come across the information again, I will certainly forward it onto you.

Profile photo of Tinsel777Tinsel777
    @tinsel777

Hope this answers one of your questions regarding constitutional law ruling over all.

In September 5th 2006 the Case of – Forge versus Australian Securities and Investments – all seven High Court Judges stated unanimously that the Constitution reigns supreme.

@tinsel777

Ok, the information on variable rates:

For a loan contract or any agreement under Common Law there are eight essential elements.

There must be –

(1) an offer;
    (2) acceptance;
    (3) sufficient consideration;
    (4) capacity to contract;
    (5) intention to enter legal relations;
    (6) legality of purpose;
    (7) genuine consent; and
    (8) certainty of terms.

The problem with varible interest rates is in number 8, that it is NOT 'a certainty of terms'.

In fact the word 'variable' in the Oxford Dictionary means 'uncertain'. So in actual fact the banks are commiting contract fraud under Common Law. The uncertain terms of varible interest.

Individuals have used this argument in courts in recent times.

I hope this helps.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Tinsel777 wrote:
    Hope this answers one of your questions regarding constitutional law ruling over all.

In September 5th 2006 the Case of – Forge versus Australian Securities and Investments – all seven High Court Judges stated unanimously that the Constitution reigns supreme.

Thanks for the reference, but I didn't ask such a question. 

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@tinsel777
    Terryw wrote:
    Also please give an example of common law over ruling legislation

I'm sorry, isn't this what you meant by this post?

Participant
    @terryw

The constituion is really legislation. It is just legislation that out ranks other legislation. So the Commonwealth couldn't enact laws that are contrary to the constitution.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw
    Tinsel777 wrote:
    Ok, the information on variable rates:

For a loan contract or any agreement under Common Law there are eight essential elements.

There must be –

(1) an offer;
    (2) acceptance;
    (3) sufficient consideration;
    (4) capacity to contract;
    (5) intention to enter legal relations;
    (6) legality of purpose;
    (7) genuine consent; and
    (8) certainty of terms.

The problem with varible interest rates is in number 8, that it is NOT 'a certainty of terms'.

In fact the word 'variable' in the Oxford Dictionary means 'uncertain'. So in actual fact the banks are commiting contract fraud under Common Law. The uncertain terms of varible interest.

Individuals have used this argument in courts in recent times.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this more concrete informaiton.

Do you have any caselaw to back this up?

My take is that 'variable' doesn't mean the contract contains an uncertain term. Variable could possibly mean 'uncertain' in some instances but could also refer to 'change' or 'adjustible'.

For a contract to be void for uncertainty I think you would need more than this. The language would have to be vague or imprecise.  You couldn't have an agreement to buy a house but subject to a price to be agreed upon.

One term of the contract could be imprecise but the contract as a whole could still stand. It is also possible that a term could be vague but stiff able to be defined by common practice or some other method. eg you could have an agreement to purchase a house with the price to be determined by the average of two valuations by registered vauers.

With the loan agreements the interest rate is listed in the agreement, but it is subject to change.

That website you listed is a bit of a conspircary right wing type. The letters are appauling.

Email Me

@tinsel777

Yes exactly!

However it has done so on many occasions & you would be shocked to know what they are, how far reaching & how they affect us. There are plenty of examples on these websites.

Would it surprise you to know that there are applications currently before the criminal court against many of our politicians, past & present, including the PM?

Participant
    @terryw
    Tinsel777 wrote:

Here is a link to a letter from the former federal Attorney General confirming what I have just said about the non recognition of local councils. http://www.larryhannigan.com/Attorney_General_Referendum_Letter.pdf

This letter says the constitution doesn't recognise local government. This is true. But does it mean all local government regulations are invalid? No. It a local government enacted something that is contrary to the constitution then it would be invald – eg. they are going to set up their own tarrifs on trade between blacktown and penrith. This would be contrary to the constitution and be an invalide law.

Are rates state local government taxes? probably. Are the unconstitutional? Possibly, but they are still being charged so there must be cases where someone has challenged a council in charging council rates and they must have lost – otherwise the could be no rates.

Email Me

@tinsel777

I do not have case law. I do know that there are cases testing this. I do not know how they have progressed. Maybe ask the website owner. I am only a citizen trying to do my own due dilligence, lol.

Whatever you may think of the website & the views on it & you are entitled to your opinion, as are we all, they are winning the battle & doing an excellent job at helping out the average struggling person. They do not get paid for this, it is all free.

Those letters may not be up to your standard but I do know they have won victories for people & in the end that is all that matters doesn't it?

@tinsel777
    Terryw wrote:
    Tinsel777 wrote:

This letter says the constitution doesn't recognise local government. This is true. But does it mean all local government regulations are invalid? No. It a local government enacted something that is contrary to the constitution then it would be invald – eg. they are going to set up their own tarrifs on trade between blacktown and penrith. This would be contrary to the constitution and be an invalide law.

Are rates state local government taxes? probably. Are the unconstitutional? Possibly, but they are still being charged so there must be cases where someone has challenged a council in charging council rates and they must have lost – otherwise the could be no rates.

Not necessarily Terry. I do know of people who have not paid their rates for years, standing on common law, & there is nothing that the local council could do about it. It is an individual descision & the councils are hardly going to advertise the fact are they? They are not going to stop billing the majority because the minority have cottoned onto their fraud.

People have choices & the more people who choose to stand up for their rights the more it will get noticed. I do not think that there is enough people doing it right now to make a 'splash in the ocean'.

Again it comes back to the people being educated – like anything else in life.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Information about the requirements to become a Buyers' Agent can be viewed at:
    http://www.rebaa.com.au/index.php/members/how-to-become-a-buyers-agent
    <br /:-)” title=”>:-)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

hey all – just to get back on the topic of using VF to buy an investment property…

So, what if I find sellers (not vendor financiers/VF businesses) and I calculate that I my instalment contract payments are LESS or EQUAL TO the potential rental income that I could accumulate by renting out the property to someone else. As a purchaser, could I offer an instalment contract to a seller, and then rent out the place to someone else (and then make a profit on the difference)?

Would I need a special clause in the instalment contract which stipulated that I am allowed to rent out the place to tenant? Or is it implied that I can do this since I will have possessionary/equitable title?

Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Matt

All that you propose is possible and we stumble on them from time to time.  Mainly in regional areas.

However most Instalment Contracts (IC) do require the owner's permission for the VF buyer to rent the property, i.e. you would need to change that clause in the IC.  Equitable title is not a factor in this issue.  Possession is the issue in what you are proposing and all IC's in Australia give Conditional Possession in one form or another.

Cheers,  Paul

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Phil44Phil44
    Participant
    @phil44
    mattsta wrote:
    hey all – just to get back on the topic of using VF to buy an investment property…

So, what if I find sellers (not vendor financiers/VF businesses) and I calculate that I my instalment contract payments are LESS or EQUAL TO the potential rental income that I could accumulate by renting out the property to someone else. As a purchaser, could I offer an instalment contract to a seller, and then rent out the place to someone else (and then make a profit on the difference)?

Would I need a special clause in the instalment contract which stipulated that I am allowed to rent out the place to tenant? Or is it implied that I can do this since I will have possessionary/equitable title?

Hi Mattsta,

Typically your vendor finance contract will let you rent it out with consent from the vendor, but your insurance company probably won't let you.

Even the Alliance wrap specific policies do not cover the vendor terms buyer being a landlord and last time I asked they wanted the vendor to be the only landlord and to use a regular landlord policy. A second insurer (a couple of years ago) also insisted that the landlord tenant relationship only exist between the vendor and the purchaser's tenant, which in either case would probably mean a contract rewrite.

That insurer would also only do it on a case by case basis so potentially an expensive new contract might be only good for one deal.

A more practical solution might be a joint venture or assumptive joint venture where you control the property rather than buy it on an instalment contract, then rent it out yourself.  I haven't explored the insurance implications of this, so in my answer is a question to one of the joint venture guys here – Who is the landlord under an AJV and has anyone had a successful claim?

Cheers,

Phil

Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Phil

We work a lot with JV's. From a JV where our JV partner buys the property and we do the rest, through negative2positive JV's and finally the Assumptive JV (AJV).  In all cases we've made sure that the owner on the Title is the owner of the insurance policy, with us 'on the side' with our paperwork authorising us to deal with the policy.

If we on-sell the property with an Instalment Contract, we use a fully disclosed vendor finance policy and, if we keep it as a buy & hold or on-sell it with a Lease and an Option, we use a Landlord policy.

Cheers,  Paul

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

If the banks have such a monoply like i tell other people go buy there shares then..

Its funny people will always say the banks are making to much money, there fees are to high.

Well buy a share in the company!!!!

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta
    Phil44 wrote:
    mattsta wrote:

Hi Mattsta,

Typically your vendor finance contract will let you rent it out with consent from the vendor, but your insurance company probably won't let you.

Even the Alliance wrap specific policies do not cover the vendor terms buyer being a landlord and last time I asked they wanted the vendor to be the only landlord and to use a regular landlord policy. A second insurer (a couple of years ago) also insisted that the landlord tenant relationship only exist between the vendor and the purchaser's tenant, which in either case would probably mean a contract rewrite.

That insurer would also only do it on a case by case basis so potentially an expensive new contract might be only good for one deal.

A more practical solution might be a joint venture or assumptive joint venture where you control the property rather than buy it on an instalment contract, then rent it out yourself.  I haven't explored the insurance implications of this, so in my answer is a question to one of the joint venture guys here – Who is the landlord under an AJV and has anyone had a successful claim?

Cheers,

Phil

hmmm i didn't consider these potential insurance issues. perhaps i should stick to more conventional financing…

sounds risky without having insurance..
    and i wonder if vendors would seriously consider installment payments for themselves via a JV contract?

Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Matt

We dropped Alliance about three years ago because of their pricing and unworkable rules.  We now work with a very VF friendly insurance underwriter and what you propose is not seen as a problem by this underwriter.

Sure go conventional but don't be forced down that path by insurance issues because while Alliance's A******* Unity underwriter may be a pain another large underwriter, i.e. V*…, is quite helpful.

Cheers,  Paul

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.