All Topics / Help Needed! / Shud I buy now, or Rent till next year, and hold off

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of desiluckydesilucky
    @desilucky
    • Hello All,
      I want to buy my first PPOR.. Currently I am renting, and paying yearly rent of 13K… I have approx 100K saved up for deposit.. My question to all you dear people out there is,,, as below,,,,,

If I buy now,, a house worth 550K…
      I pay 110K deposit,,,, OUtstanding loan bal would be 550-110=440K..Now at 6.5% annual interest rate yearly i will ending up paying 28.6K in interest only.. Plus water, council, maintanance, and other bits add all up to 33K,,, a year in waste money since this is not going towards principle…….

If i continue renting than I waste 13K a year,,, which is net savings of 20K a year if I rent…….. If i Buy and if my house does not appreciate or gain any capital growth that equates to 33K a year that is money wasted on interest and other bits,,,, than I am better off renting and investing that money somewere else….. AM I right with above thinking,,, pls advice….

Also people are saying markets are going down, and with this overall effect of EU, and USA,,, it might well trigger second GFC……… So If I have more deposit next year, and if prices come down than I will be more better off… Or shud i go ahead and buy now……. My gut feeling is prices are going down,,

Any genious thoughts on my above theory,,,,,,??????
      Thanking in advance,,,,

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Desilucky,
                      Don't buy. You will loose money.
    You only buy if house prices are rising faster than your repayments minus tax savings plus cost minus the first number in your head etc…

The global community is toast.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

WJ Hooker has a good point

If you are going to be a passive growth investor that is just looking to buy and hold, you would want your property to appreciate faster than the amount of money you are out of pocket by

Simple calculation based on your numbers you provided above:

• $33,000 holding costs
    • $13,000 rent
    • $20,000 extra out of pocket expenses
    • $540,000 purchase price

Means that you would need your property to appreciate by a minimum of 3.7% p.a. to break even

Also of note

• A property that is 80% below the median house price i.e. $450,000 as opposed to $540,000 has more room to the upside, especially if there are lots of buyers at that range and mortgage repayments are less than 30% of household income for the area you are investing in
    • Depending on how you structure things, you might be able to claim depreciation and interest repayments, but whether this is in your best interest will depend on your goals and circumstances
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Just like nobody knows what numbers will come up in the tattslotto this weekend, nobody is truly certain what the global economy will do in the future.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Based on recent news, it seems that the GFC2 will be coming – that's my gut feeling too (but I can't predict it with a guarantee). If the GFC2 does come, then yeah I reckon prices will go down, and that'll affect your decision too

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

I think it may be wise to hold off buying.  But do your research.  Buy a copy of the sales in the area you are looking at to see what the trends have been in the past and up until the last three months.  Residex also has good information on predictions you can purchase as well. 

Even though you won't know for sure what is going to happen you may get enough information to feel confident in whatever decision you make.  There's nothing nicer than being able to sleep soundly at night happy in how things are in your life.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

So everyone here is predicting every area in Australia will go down? haha. Yeah I'll wait for that.

In the meantime I'm making money buying undervalued properties because on the news they said GFC2 is coming.

Advice- don't watch the news. Do real research into what's happening IN THE AREA YOU WANT to buy. Get educated that way you won't be swayed by people who believe everything they hear on the news. .
    Some areas will go up, some will go down.
    Most of the time it's financially better to rent AS LONG as you do something productive with the money you would be putting into a mortgage (if you had one).
    Another idea would be to buy an investment property. But I wouldn't advocate buying and hoping for capital growth, Hope is not an investment strategy.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

There is always a good time to buy property. Its a market .. not a singular format strategy.

That means there are always people going up and down in the property market. Trying to sell to cover debts .. trying to sell because grandma has died … trying to sell because 2 new twins wont fit nicely in a closet. Trying to sell at a loss because the recently divorced other half gets the rest.

You look ahead .. and I look ahead .. and if the crystal ball told the truth we would all be millionaires and happy. Thankfully it doesnt .. and therefore you bet on the best possible contingencies. Just like a horse race .. you bet on the horse MOST likely to get to the finish line first. Position .. Convenience .. Demand .. all have major plays in this. And you'll find that even in tough times .. the good stuff still remains in demand.

As a FHB you are looking for a property with potential growth and demand. Take it where you can find it. Know what sort of property you are looking for. Try to find a deal with some value already there. Reno … needs work .. poorly presented … changing suburb .. you'll find the deal. Thats IF you know what to look for. Buy brick .. buy land .. buy position .. buy value.

Its still a market. And unless people vacate Australia in droves .. there will still be a large group of people willing to put their hand up for your property. Of course .. saying that .. thats at the right price . . . . .

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    desilucky wrote:
    So If I have more deposit next year, and if prices come down than I will be more better off… Or shud i go ahead and buy now……. My gut feeling is prices are going down,,

Reading through your post, I figure that you must either be thinking aloud, or otherwise posing rhetorical questions to the forum. Nobody is going to be able to tell you with absolute certainty what is about to happen in the immediate future.

Let's consider human nature for a start. Public perception of the state of the market usually lags behind that which is true. This means that when people are swooning over property prices like the boom will never end, then it indicates that prices have already peaked. When people think the market is down and is continuing to head downwards, prices could well have stabilised. The brave few who predict the market is going to recover are already busy doing their research and too busy buying up to actually be commenting in forums like these.

So that leaves us with two main groups of people who will be commenting here:

1. The people who think the property market is shot and headed down.
    2. The people who really don't know and hence can't give you a clear answer.

Hence, are you really giving yourself a fair shot at an alternative opinion? Not really.

For the most part, continuing to rent is the way to go for now. Considering the previous run up in house prices, yields are down in most areas (ie. the areas where your average Joe will be looking to buy). Therefore it makes renting in these areas comparatively more affordable than buying a PPOR. So I have to echo what was mentioned above: that you should rent but put your 'savings' towards an investment. If you have a 'dream house' in mind, there is always the possibility of buying that house to rent out first while continuing to rent yourself, and take advantage of tax benefits if the property is negatively geared, or to gain additional income if the property is positively geared.

Unless you're very experienced with property, you're not going to make money overnight. And that's not the point with property. When you buy an investment property, consider what is likely to occur after 5 years, 7 years or 10 years, NOT worry about what's going to happen in the next 5 weeks.

Just as a property boom with unprecedented capital gains doesn't last forever, neither does a property bust. But if you ask me, I'd rather be buying when the sentiment is bad than be clamouring with 50 other buyers for one house when the market is absolutely boiling over and the vendors hold all the cards.

Personally, I'm already fully invested, however our family is in the market looking for a house for my brother to buy. I spoke to a couple standing thereby after the auction had passed in at an unheard of price (ie. low) and this couple was wondering if they should go in to negotiate. One of them said with some degree of panic, 'I don't know what to do. Some people say that house prices are falling by $200 a day.'

I told him this, 'Well I assure you, that's NOT going to last forever.'

The house subsequently sold for an absolute bargain price, and even my brother who is absolutely sticky on buying ONLY bargains was regretful not having finance ready and not being able to bid on that day.

It's also interesting because during the auction, the auctioneer declared, 'C'mon first home buyers! When the market is hot you say prices are too high! Now we have a bargain and yet you do not bid! We can't win you either way!!'

Easy to dismiss the auctioneer's words as 'sales pitch' but it has some truth in it. Most people get stuck in a rut and decide to sit on their hands and do nothing except complain.

Key thing is to decide what decision YOU are comfortable with, then make a move.

Personally, I'd take a long term view. Your post doesn't state where exactly you're living. But Australia is very popular with migrants and that's not about to change. I stay in Melbourne, rated most recently as the most livable city in the world. Do we truly believe that Melbourne will become a vacant slum in the long run? Not a chance, unless an unforseen disaster occurs. And if we're going to spend our lives worrying about 'unforseen disasters', we might as well hole ourselves up in an underground chamber and be miserable, because we're not truly living at all.

Participant
    @fword

Oh, for those still reading, I read an article in yesterday's newspaper just today (go figure). Anyway, for those who have this Saturday's Domain, look at page 16 for the article by Chris Tolhurst titled 'Know whether the market is turning'. Also, read the article on page 15 by Kate Roberton, titled 'The fringe of a revival'.

Are these articles indirectly telling us when to buy and where not to buy respectively? You be the judge.

Participant
    @xdrew
    fWord wrote:
    Oh, for those still reading, I read an article in yesterday's newspaper just today (go figure). Anyway, for those who have this Saturday's Domain, look at page 16 for the article by Chris Tolhurst titled 'Know whether the market is turning'. Also, read the article on page 15 by Kate Roberton, titled 'The fringe of a revival'.

Are these articles indirectly telling us when to buy and where not to buy respectively? You be the judge.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Ok .. for anyone who is sensible .. DONT READ THE NEWSPAPERS. Simple as that. Every second article is doom gloom and how there will be an eventual reckoning. If I trusted the papers I would have missed both major booms in the last 5 years. So .. I didnt .. i actually used my head and it made me richer.

June 2006 – Markets overbloated .. destined for a rethink – THE AGE

(sept 2006-Feb 2007 prices go up by 30% on average)

Feb 2009 – sharemarkets set for more turmoil .. investors flee – THE AGE

Invested big in stocks (blue chip) as of March 2009. Who is laughing now?

Papers are a hard sell to morons. Look at the facts .. look at the figures .. and ignore the papers.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

Papers post whatever sells.

If doom and gloom is selling – tey'll post that. If rising house values are selling, they'll post that. It is however a kind of positive feedback loop. Papers sell based on what the public wants to read and they read what the papers post. So bad news generates bad vibes which generate bad news and vica versa.

To the OPs question – I am in a similar position. You have to make a descision on what you believe about the area you want to buy in. Do you believe prices will go up beyond the 3-5% that posters mentioned earlier or not? No-one can tell you for sure, you have to do your own research and decide for yourself.

Profile photo of Fergus_AFergus_A
    @fergus_a

Hi Desilucky,

Why don’t you buy in towns in regional QLD that are benefiting from the new coal mines in the Galilee and Bowen basins. With all the infrastructure expenditure occurring and continuing to happen over the next several years, then the property market will almost certainly go up. A GFC2 will affect the capital cities more however these regional towns will only feel this temporarily. There are cash flow posi properties out there and all interest would be tax deductible. As long as you feel comfortable buying a property and renting it out instead of living in it yourself. Would only need to use half of your savings for a deposit and stamp duty. It’s just another way of looking at property investing.

Cheers

Participant
    @fword
    xdrew wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHA

Ok .. for anyone who is sensible .. DONT READ THE NEWSPAPERS. Simple as that. Every second article is doom gloom and how there will be an eventual reckoning. If I trusted the papers I would have missed both major booms in the last 5 years. So .. I didnt .. i actually used my head and it made me richer.

June 2006 – Markets overbloated .. destined for a rethink – THE AGE

(sept 2006-Feb 2007 prices go up by 30% on average)

Feb 2009 – sharemarkets set for more turmoil .. investors flee – THE AGE

Invested big in stocks (blue chip) as of March 2009. Who is laughing now?

Papers are a hard sell to morons. Look at the facts .. look at the figures .. and ignore the papers.

xdrew, obviously you haven't read those articles. Specifically, the first article I alluded to was discussing that the market had already bottomed in Sydney 3-4 months ago and the market is at a similar stage now in Melbourne. If this is correct, it bucks the trend of 'doom and gloom' that commonly see in today's newspapers. And IMO, at the first signs of life in the property market, cashed up people should already have bought, or be ready to buy immediately. I think a lot of people are waiting for the stars to be in alignment, or a glorious light to come from above before they are convinced to buy…just as well, because those with more courage and vision stand to make substantial gains, and the rest will just be what they've always been…ordinary.

The second article discusses the impending supply of house and land packages on the city fringe to meet the demand for housing. Essentially, this article would suggest to me that buying house and land packages in the outskirts is not a good idea at the moment. Buying in more established suburbs closer to the city is obviously a better choice if the city's fringe is soon going to be filled with McMansions on 300-500sqm blocks of land. On that note however, there's a difference in demographic between the first home buyers who are likely to go for house and land packages in the outskirts versus families or upgraders who would be buying in more established suburbs. Hence I disagree with the article saying that demand will be met simply by putting more houses out at the city's fringe. We got to meet housing needs where it's most wanted, not simply slapping down a new subdivision in the sticks and hoping that will deal with the problem.

Participant
    @xdrew

I dont have to read those articles.

Because consistantly … and regularly the 'experts' in the paper have been proven wrong.

I am not going to mention names .. but there is a certain person in the investors section of the paper that gives me a regular giggle with her insights. She's been SO wrong … i read her for the laughs now.

The market HAS bottomed .. and before it starts up again its going to need a supply of people able to get loans. IF as predicted the credit markets overseas seize up .. then even with cash, equity and baseball cards .. you wont be able to pick up a loan from the banks for love or money. That'll plug the flow of cheap money. And as people compete for getting whats available .. that will raise interest rates by several notches.

Or you can listen to the newspapers. Try the comics section. Do they still publish Garfield?

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    xdrew wrote:
    The market HAS bottomed .. and before it starts up again its going to need a supply of people able to get loans. IF as predicted the credit markets overseas seize up .. then even with cash, equity and baseball cards .. you wont be able to pick up a loan from the banks for love or money. That'll plug the flow of cheap money. And as people compete for getting whats available .. that will raise interest rates by several notches.

Given that, how can you logically say the market has bottomed?

If only a few can get credit to buy and there is a lot for sale, then those few can haggle further down. And if IRs go up, some more will have to sell.

Participant
    @fword
    xdrew wrote:
    I dont have to read those articles.

Because consistantly … and regularly the 'experts' in the paper have been proven wrong.

I am not going to mention names .. but there is a certain person in the investors section of the paper that gives me a regular giggle with her insights. She's been SO wrong … i read her for the laughs now.

Or you can listen to the newspapers. Try the comics section. Do they still publish Garfield?

OK, comics aside for a moment, entertain me, I implore you. What should we do?!

Profile photo of Investment GuruInvestment Guru
    @investment-guru
    JacM wrote:
    Just like nobody knows what numbers will come up in the tattslotto this weekend, nobody is truly certain what the global economy will do in the future.

There is nothing for certain, it’s making or breaking but if you do your research really well. It will be a win situation. There lots of undervalued property out there. If it’s undervalued then would it be safe to assume that it’s actual value is far greater? Then you already gained…
    Just be careful and be sure.

Participant
    @xdrew
    fWord wrote:
    OK, comics aside for a moment, entertain me, I implore you. What should we do?!

I suggest you treat the market with a degree of caution. And look whats ACTUALLY happening in it. Because that way you can be the best judge of whats happening and whether you can be moving your investments in the right direction.

Participant
    @fword
    xdrew wrote:

I suggest you treat the market with a degree of caution. And look whats ACTUALLY happening in it. Because that way you can be the best judge of whats happening and whether you can be moving your investments in the right direction.

So I gather that at the moment, the property market is showing signs of stabilising but not actually beginning an uptrend as of yet? This is my understanding of it anyway, and of course its simplistic because I'm not well educated. But that's the gist of it, I suspect.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.