All Topics / Help Needed! / Help with buying land please

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

Hi all, i've decided to buy a block of land in a new estate in qld and put a duplex on it. I've asked the agent to email me a list of available blocks, the block i'm looking at is 713m2.

If I buy this block of land will I be gurantee to be able to put a duplex on it? Or will i have to get a builder to draw plans and submit to council for approval before I purchase the block?

Bascially i'm still trying to work out the steps, im a bit confused with steps, does this seem right to you guys:

1) purchase land

2) Get builder to make plans/submitt to council

3) solicitor/surveyor for subdividing

4) speak to strata managing firms

cheers pete.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

It may be that it's not permissible to put a duplex on the land, so ascertain that first. Often, in new estates, the land developer will protect amenity by implementing controls on title that preclude certain uses.

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

thanks christianb, who should i call to find out whether i can build a duplex or not? Nice website you have by the way.

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Hi Picklesam,

If it's a new estate, then there should be a developer who sub-divided the blocks and built road infrastructures etc. They would be the one that you need to speak to. In many new estates, the developers have their own design guidelines and in most cases they prohibit the owner from building more than 1 dwelling on the lot as it may disrupt their streetscape or whatever.

Another document that you can check is Certificate of title (should be included in the section 32), it might have a covenant saying the owner may not construct more than 1 dwelling on this lot etc…

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Your local council should be able to assist with information but you need proof in writing to protect yourself.  I think the zoning usually stipulates what development can occur on a block of land.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

A town planner or property lawyer can quickly tell you if the title precludes the development of the land.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.