All Topics / General Property / Time to ponder?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:
    fword
    1. We are all selfish.
    2. Greed was good and now it is not so good.
    3. Outright owners will care as prices fall, mortgage holders will care more and least to care will be the 32% of the total population that are renters.
    4. I can not think of why house prices rising faster than wage growth, could possibly be a good thing for society. Perhaps you can enlighten me?

1. Agreed. Like saying we are all human and we are all sinners.

2. Since when was greed EVER good?!

3. Obviously, to a great extent. In general, people do not care about things that do not belong to them. Looking at it another way, their opinions are based on their personal interests. Altruism does exist these days but you got to look a little harder to find it.

4. In respect to 'house prices rising faster than wage growth', depends on what house prices you're referring to. $350K houses were available 10 years ago when our 'inner city' was previously the 'outskirts'. $350K houses are still available these days, but they're more like 'apartments' in the CBD or little McMansions in the outskirts of the city.

Expensive houses indicate that both you and I do not live in a slum and that we're part of a growing city that is pushing its boundaries with burgeoning population growth. It is a sign of 'good things'. That same population growth pays the taxes and helps with welfare payments. That has its pros and cons. More revenue to the government, but it puts a strain on infrastructure if the city does not keep up with the increasing urban sprawl. It also makes some things more expensive, particularly if they are in limited supply and demand for them unrelenting.

It is not difficult to understand that house price growth is natural and a given if you have continued population growth and constant demand for the same limited resource.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    ummester wrote:
    So fword, where are the undersirable parts of our country? Or is all Australian housing uniquely desirable?

What's considered 'desirable' or 'undesirable' is up to the subjective opinion of the individual. Therefore I shall not actually list places (amongst those that I know) because it may insult. If anybody has access to last weekend's Melbourne Magazine (as part of The Age), it discusses the issue of 'livability'. Alternatively, head over to tmmblog.com.au and look at the posts from 27 November 2011.

'Livability' IS 'desirability'. While their methods of assessing individual suburbs are not entirely flawless, it gives us a good idea of what people generally like to have, and generally as such, where they like to live.

ummester wrote:
    Personally, I consider all of Sydney and Melborne extremely undesirable – too many people all clustered together for my liking.

Well, that's the personal opinion that you're entitled to have, and you're free to decide not to live in those cities or to leave, if you currently do live there. Also consider that there are regional towns of both Sydney and Melbourne where you could pick up a plot of land with an area of 1 acre or more, and not terribly far from the CBD itself. If you're worried about hearing your neighbours cough, that's where you should look to buy. I have lived in places where the population density is much greater than that of Sydney and Melbourne.  It was truly an eye-opener, coming to Australia…we have so much space!

Profile photo of PaukPauk
    @pauk

fword
    1. 1/3 of our population growth in real numbers is our demographic momentum, or more people living longer.
    2. 66% of our NOM are temporary Visa holders.
    3. We are currently experiencing peak emigration.
    4. What do you think the June population growth percentage will be? My guess 1.3% (0.7% is our natural growth)
    5. In the next 25 years our death rates double and anti-immigration is already taking hold.
    6. From my sociological studies and research, Australia will peak at approx 29 million and then decline in population, some time around 2040.
    7. From 2006, international students who are here for longer than 12 months, get included in our official population growth percentage, thus the false peak of 2.1%.

@pauk
    Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:
    fword
    1. 1/3 of our population growth in real numbers is our demographic momentum, or more people living longer.
    2. 66% of our NOM are temporary Visa holders.
    3. We are currently experiencing peak emigration.
    4. What do you think the June population growth percentage will be? My guess 1.3% (0.7% is our natural growth)
    5. In the next 25 years our death rates double and anti-immigration is already taking hold.
    6. From my sociological studies and research, Australia will peak at approx 29 million and then decline in population, some time around 2040.
    7. From 2006, international students who are here for longer than 12 months, get included in our official population growth percentage, thus the false peak of 2.1%.

That paints a very bleak picture for Australia. How many people will be left to pay the taxes and welfare benefits with the increased proportion of the graying population in this country? People may talk 'anti-immigration' now, but they'll double back quickly when they see the negative effect its having on the country. The key point is that this country needs new blood and on a regular basis, otherwise it's going to be in strife and turn into another 'Germany' in terms of population growth.

Now I don't know how your research led to your figure of a population of 29 million around 2040. I had a look at the figures in ABS and they show that projected population in 2056 is actually somewhere between 30.9 and 42.5 million, and in 2101 the projected population is between 33.7 and 62.2 million. So your estimated figure is really at the lowest end of that scale. The lower end of the projection will occur when deaths outnumber births starting in 2048, with NOM henceforth accounting for continued population growth, although at a slower rate.

On the topic of peak emigration, how did you come to this conclusion? What are the reasons for people leaving? I had a look at net migration rates for Australia and found the figures for a 10-year time frame.

http://www.indexmundi.com/australia/net_migration_rate.html

It shows net positive migration for the entire period. In 2000 it was 4.26 migrants/ 1000 persons. It was at its lowest in 2007 at 3.78 migrants/ 1000 persons in 2007, and highest in 2008 at 6.34 migrants/ 1000 persons. It currently sits at 6.03 migrants / 1000 persons. Is this the 'false peak' that you are referring to, the one that occured from 2007?

From ABS, Australia's population increase for the year ended 31 March 2011 is still greater than that recorded for the year ended 30 June 2006 (312,400 versus 303,100). Australia's population growth rate has declined since 31 December 2008 and is at its lowest since 30 September 2005. Nevertheless, what was the trend of house prices since 2005/ 2006? I'd hence venture further to say that house prices can rise on the back of strong population growth, but the rate of house price growth is NOT inextricably linked to the rate of population growth.

Now I appreciate all those figures but unless we're going to be armchair academics, we'd be better off discussing more practical things.

As alluded to earlier (and as other writers have also stated before), decentralisation is a realistic answer to the 'housing affordability crisis' that some like to debate about. I'd like to suggest offering rebates and benefits to companies that set up offices in 'satellite cities'. In Melbourne, such 'satellite cities' include Frankston, Box Hill, Dandenong, Ringwood…there are some ailing commercial properties in these areas that the government could purchase, revamp and increase the density before leasing or selling back to the public.

Moving jobs to these satellite cities, a number of which are currently considered 'outer suburbs', we increase the 'desirability' of these suburbs accordingly, with people settling there to be close to work, taking the heat off the CBD. Currently, travel times are ridiculous. My brother takes a 90 minute (each way) bus ride to and from the city every working day from a 'middle-outer suburb' 20kms from the CBD. The roads to the city and within the CBD itself are choked with traffic many hours of the day. I personally drive through the Metropolitan Ring Road to get from the same house to an outer North suburb to work, a trip that takes anywhere from 50 to 70 minutes each way. Really, the Ring Road was obsolete even before it was completed. At only two lanes each way at some parts, it's just not sensible.

What this hence means is that concurrent with efforts to decentralise jobs and businesses, infrastructure and transport to such satellite cities needs to be dramatically improved to keep up with the associated traffic flow. To me, this is the key. People want to live near to their place of work. Move the jobs wherever, provide the necessary infrastructure, and people will follow. Currently there are a lot of low-rise commercial buildings in these satellite cities that could benefit from being revamped and transformed to become a more vibrant hub of activity. Watch out however, for the NIMBY attitudes that are likely to arise, and understandable of course. There's going to be some resistance from current residents because few people enjoy seeing a big business park go up just across the road from their house.

Another suggestion that I raised on this forum in the past was that of governent subsidised housing. People in Singapore are well familiar with this concept. People who qualify for the [strict] criteria for government subsidised housing can buy high-rise flats or apartments that are substantially more affordable than 'landed' property, not because it is paid for in its entirety by the government, but mostly because their associated land value is much lesser. These apartments are small and comfortable but they're far from glamorous. There's several hundred of them stacked into each block, and there could be numerous blocks clustered into a fairly small area. Additionally, you purchase them from the government on a 99-year lease, not freehold.

Someone once remarked that we shouldn't ever see something like that in Australia because it would be the equivalent of a ghetto or a slum. Far from it however. If done correctly, as Singapore has, it performs its function more than well enough, and is still clean and safe. But for this to succeed, people's mindset also has to change. At the moment it appears that most people value having space and a real backyard. When price is a deciding factor however, we can either choose to live in a house that has space but is a long commute from work or in lodging that is not as spacious or private but in close proximity to amenities and our place of work.

Buying a house these days is difficult, something I fully appreciate because I'm one of those people. But this is reality. Can't have your cake and eat it. Affordable housing is there, just a matter of where you're prepared to live, or what you're prepared to live in.

Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:

Yes, but totally incorrect for some to claim that anti-speculation laws were the sole reason for the continued affordability of German property.

@pauk

1. They will be less workers per dependent as our participation rates start their decline. Less people to pay more tax, if you want to get the revenues from the workers.

2. Emigration – peaking
    http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/05emigration.htm
    http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/05emigration_1.htm – they have not updated the chart and it was approx 88,000 last financial year.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/emigration-rises-as-aussies-bail-out/story-e6freooo-1226200172844

3. Population growth does not dictate house prices changes. We have 22% of our homes now as lone occupants and rising to 32%, so our real people per household is 3.14 for the non-lone occupants.

4. Certainly the anti-speculation laws on residential property in Germany kept a lid on massive bubbles or massive falls. It certainly made housing more affordable.

5. Decentralisation is a good idea on many levels.

6. On public housing. 18 public single bedroom units just got built in my area, less than 50 meters from what were million dollar plus units. It has already happened and no slum was created.

7. We certainly do not have affordable housing in Australia….yet.

8. My projections of 29 million and then decline stays well within the UN projections.

http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm

Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:
    1. They will be less workers per dependent as our participation rates start their decline. Less people to pay more tax, if you want to get the revenues from the workers.

Combine that with a tax free threshold for those under $40K pa salary as you suggest and it'd be a recipe for disaster. This will be further compounded by my prediction that there will be an even greater proportion of Australian residents at that salary level (adjusted for inflation) compared to today, should this tax structure come into place. Tax on those earning over $40K pa is likely to increase compared to current levels.

Thanks for the information, very revealing. It remains to be seen if this trend of increased emigration is likely to continue. In the last article it mentions that half of emigrants have chosen to move to UK, US, NZ and Singapore. Given current economic conditions, it'd be interesting to consider if some of those emigrants who previously went to UK and US would return to Australia. I know a little about the veterinary industry and can say that it is (or was) common for vets in Australia to seek employment in UK and US because of superior benefits and remuneration. With the advent of the crisis, many of those vets lost their job and have since returned to find jobs in Australia.

I'd have to wonder if those migrating to NZ have done so for reasons other than employment. Retirement perhaps? And for those migrating to Singapore, my condolences to them, for they shall experience 'unaffordable housing' in every sense of the word. Fortunately, the tax structure in Singapore is favourable and does not discourage high-income earners.

Pauk wrote:
    3. Population growth does not dictate house prices changes. We have 22% of our homes now as lone occupants and rising to 32%, so our real people per household is 3.14 for the non-lone occupants.

Hence the previous point that population growth and Am I right in saying that you suggest the proportion of lone occupant households is set to increase? If this is the case, wouldn't it increase the demand for housing?

Pauk wrote:
    4. Certainly the anti-speculation laws on residential property in Germany kept a lid on massive bubbles or massive falls. It certainly made housing more affordable.

We have yet to see 'massive falls' as a result of bursting of 'massive bubbles' in the Australian property market. I entertain the possibility, for the sake of discussion here. As such I agree with your statement about Germany to a certain extent. However I disagree that affordable housing is the result of anti-speculation laws. Consider that Germany's population is little changed today compared to what it was in the 1970s. I have to argue that their 'more affordable' housing is in part due to very little population growth and over an extended period of 2-3 decades.

The population of Germany has been headed down since 2002 with an average loss of 50,000 people per year. Nevertheless, neither this population drop, nor anti-speculation laws stopped the growth of house prices, with the average price of an existing home increasing by 4.5% YOY in September 2010.

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Germany/Price-History

Anti-speculation laws that existed from the time of Hitler did not prevent the 'bubble' from occuring in Germany in the 1990s, which is discussed in this article:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,552901,00.html

It possibly gives us yet another reason why German property has yet to experience a 'boom' and hence remained affordable.

Pauk wrote:
    7. We certainly do not have affordable housing in Australia….yet.

I'd like you to define 'affordable housing'. Consider the factors of land size, size of the house (just basically, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas, off street parking in the form of carport, garage or lack thereof) and also location (eg. how many km from the CBD). I also firmly believe that decentralisation will alleviate the affordability issue.

Pauk wrote:
    8. My projections of 29 million and then decline stays well within the UN projections.

Looks like the figures from ABS are a little more optimistic than these from the source you quote. Perhaps consider figures from both sources in your research?

@pauk

just for the view a few years back. 1997
    2051 25 million
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Previousproducts/3222.0Media%20Release31997%20to%202051?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=1997%20to%202051&num=&view=

and then by 2000
    middle series. 2051 26.4 million and 2101 at 26.4 million
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/allprimarymainfeatures/0720D7DF5C318DD0CA2570C700729134?opendocument

then by 2004 we have gone middle series to 28.1 million by 2051
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Previousproducts/3222.0Media%20Release12004%20to%202101?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=2004%20to%202101&num=&view=

They do write a good article on 'grey power'
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Previousproducts/3222.0Media%20Release11999%20to%202101?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3222.0&issue=1999%20to%202101&num=&view=

I look at all credible sources, ABS, UN, Gapminder, CIA Data and others.

Affordable housing is when a common first year teacher can buy an average home for 4 times his or her single salary.

Lots of changes to happen in housing as flat pack industrial constructed homes are assembled.
    http://www.sekisuihouse.com.au/
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/av-jennings-offloads-building-unit-to-japans-sekisui/story-e6frg8zx-1225878653884

The article you posted

Why the Global Housing Market Boom Bypassed Germany

is an interesting read. Thanks.

Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:

Affordable housing is when a common first year teacher can buy an average home for 4 times his or her single salary.

What is the ballpark figure for the salary of the said teacher? Can you elaborate further on what constitutes an 'average home'?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Time to ponder the differences.

Germany population 81 million, Australia 23 million
    Germany has manufacturing, Australian governments have done their best to get rid of ours.
    Germany has infrastructure, bullet trains etc. Australia, we have a couple metro trains that can't even run on time
    Germany land size 357,114 kms2, Australia land size 7,692,024

Germany has lived through 2 world wars, wars transfer funds. There was a good documentary series called the Ascent of Money.

Germany has a huge population to land size ratio. They must fit their whole population and manufacturing and farming, and infrastructure and cities into this tiny area. This means they must have a regulated housing market. Without regulation in a market such as theirs people would be dying in the streets, they would have plague and riots etc and that's not how a well oiled German machine works.

Australians have seen property as a way to create security. If people pay off their house, they never have to move until they die. You are also forgetting one of the main reasons deep down for people buying property in Australia. Everyone wants to own a piece of the lucky country.

People came on boats (now and in the past) looking for a better life. Part of the better life was owning some security in your life. Never having the government or the bank or the mob (or whoever) take it from them.

If you look at property with unemotional eyes you will get a good picture, but you will miss the motivation, the "WHY".

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

So we have an emotionally sustained property bubble?

Do Australians love their houses more than anywhere else in the world?

It's like I said a few posts earlier – it really is different here, we are more full of it.

Anyways, if they aren't going to move until they die, what do they really care what it's worth? It's not like they can take the value of their homes to the grave, is it?

Only real difference I see between Australia and Germany is that Australia hasn't grown up yet. Compared to what Germany has been through, our country is a petulant child that still has a lot to learn.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Well at 200 years old, it is probably one of the youngest countries.

And yes, that is exactly what I'm saying, people love their houses. It is part of their family, why do you think Aussie banks are laughin gall the way with 30 year loans.

I don't agree that they care what it is worth, only if they need to use any of the equity, and really if you paid $80,000 20 years ago and it is worth $900k then they wont care.

The only thing the older generation is worried about (they being the ones most likely to have paid of their loans) is how their super is going as that is what fund their lifestyle.

Emotions are there, I don't believe in the Bubble of Oz.

Email Me

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

I think those moving into retirement would be very worried about their super and, for a great many of them (as boomers and jones are the most property rich), property values.

I think those who are long since retired are more worried about government support for the aged.

Bubble or no, I reject the notion that Australian's love their houses, or the dirt they are on, more than anywhere else in the world. I think each homeowner, globally, loves their house more or less equally overall. I do think that Australian's have learnt to love what their house is worth more than many others in recent years, however.

I did a search on the whole 'do Ozzies love their houses more' thing and the only reference I could find was on Bubblepedia:)

Quote:
    Australians love their homes more than other nationalities
    This is silly. Ring a random American and ask them if they love their home. Of course they do. Their house prices are far lower than ours in relation to incomes and rents, and falling fast.

Given the American example I would agree that American's still love their houses as much as we do (personally I think most of them are better constructed) but they don't love what they are currently worth – unless they brought in the last couple of years, of course.

Participant
    @fword
    ummester wrote:
    Anyways, if they aren't going to move until they die, what do they really care what it's worth? It's not like they can take the value of their homes to the grave, is it?

Well, if I had any kids, the value of my home makes a difference as to how much of a legacy I leave to my children. Not only that, the OP is proposing a 20% estate tax. I know that life isn't going to be easier for the next generation and would like to give them as good a head start as I could. My decision to bring kids into this world, hence my responsibility to look after them in any way possible. Look, I'm not even a parent yet, but I'd like to know how the parents amongst us feel about this.

I am amused at the apparent apathy towards our future generation by saying things like:

1. I don't care if the home, which I fully own, drops in value. I don't take the money with me when I die.
    2. Implement estate tax of 20%, because it's a 'sperm lottery' if we don't.

Why do we have 'deceased estate' houses for sale? That's because children who inherit these houses from their ancestors usually decide to sell the house so that they can get a 'fresh start' and move on without being reminded of the parents who they've lost. They usually also have to sell within a set period to avoid CGT (basic understanding). So, come time to sell, the sale price obviously determines how much of an inheritance the kids will receive.

@pauk

ummester
    Mmmmm…. a 'love bubble'. I like it.

fword
    1/3 of boomers do not want to leave any inheritance. Not a good stat to be proud of. Much the same across western nations.
    Immigration means we now have 5.2 million boomers from the 4.1 million born here. 80% will require full or part pension. It did not work and only kicked the can down the road. Various govt departments have proven that immigration will not substantially change the fiscal impact of our ageing nation.

Participant
    @fword
    Pauk wrote:
    ummester
    Mmmmm…. a 'love bubble'. I like it.

fword
    1/3 of boomers do not want to leave any inheritance. Not a good stat to be proud of. Much the same across western nations.
    Immigration means we now have 5.2 million boomers from the 4.1 million born here. 80% will require full or part pension. It did not work and only kicked the can down the road. Various govt departments have proven that immigration will not substantially change the fiscal impact of our ageing nation.

So, life is gonna be real tough for our next generation. And in the light of this information, you're proposing we slap a 20% estate tax on the 2/3 of boomers who WILL leave some form of inheritance?!

Then again, I believe that amongst the 1/3 of boomers who aren't leaving any inheritance, a good proportion of them simply can't because they have hardly enough money to get them through their golden years.

Going further from this, I suggest all of us need to do some serious financial planning NOW to ensure we are self-sufficient in our retirement years, instead of relying on our future generation to pay for our pension! Gotta say, I pity our kids!

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hey FWord……

I have to say……. I'm not pitying our kids…

They don't have to head off to a war, they wont starve on a boat headed here, they won't know abject poverty (hopefully), they will have the right to freedom and voting and equality, etc.

It's just money. It's a tool like a hammer and if you know how to use it you can build wealth. That's where we come in and teach our kids how to make their own way in the world no matter what. Pity the kids who don't get a financial education and rely on lotto tickets every week.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    …rely on lotto tickets every week.

D

Haha, sometimes I come scarily close to being like that. Thank goodness for an early financial education from Dad (gave me books to read) and Mum (got me excited about the stock market).

Gotta admit, I've played the lotto once…when they had that $90 million grand prize up for grabs. In case nobody remembers, two sisters won it. Wonder how much of that $90 million they have left…

@pauk

fword
    The boomer inheritance pool was estimated at $400 billion. Take of 20% for the possible property falls to come and it is still a substantial amount at approx $61k each? Please check my maths…

Yes I believe, death taxes are fair for estates over $1million. The 20% would only apply to the amount above $1million.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.