All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Accounting ques’n – IP return within tax refund

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of amyhunzamyhunz
    Participant
    @amyhunz

I'm not in any way an accountant so was hoping someone with greater expertise than I could answer the following.

My husband (I'm not currently working) received a tax refund of $12k in the 10/11 fin year. Our IP recorded a loss of 13k, however we're joint owners so my husband's share of the loss was $6.5k.

Can someone tell me the calculation used to figure out the dollar amount that our IP is returning as part of the $12k refund? Do you just multiply the loss of $6.5k by his tax rate of 37c?

I'm trying to gain a clear understanding of our IP's ROI status – I believe it's positively geared (after tax refund) but I want to be sure I'm doing the maths correctly.

Hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Nope, doesn't make sense!

Will need to know the income and costs of your property and ROI is return on investment so will need to know how much money you put into it.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of amyhunzamyhunz
    Participant
    @amyhunz

Hi Terry,

Well the loss figure is a result of knowing the income and expenses on the property. But obviously we don't get back in dollar figures the exact amount of the loss – so in our case $6.5k. It's an apportionment of the loss and i'm trying to work out how accountants get to that figure. thanks

Participant
    @terryw

You will need to know the income and then deduct all the expenses. This will give you the profit or loss. This is added to your other taxable income.

If amount back will also depend on how much you had paid in tax as well. You may be paying slightly more in each pay period so at the end of the year the return looks bigger than it otherwise would be.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ferdinandchferdinandch
    @ferdinandch

Hi Amy,

I believe there should be a paperwork in regard to the calculation, you should ask your accountant. FYI, to calculate a refund, it needs few things to determine:
    1. Assessable Income which includes the share of property losses, capital gain and employment salary. AI
    2. Total Allowable Deduction ( most of them work related, and as well the cost to prepare your tax return). AD
    3. Your family situation such as rebates and tax offsets e.g. spouses tax rebate (the fact that you are not working, means he might be eligible for spouses tax rebates unless your family received Family Tax Benefit part B), education tax refund, medical expenses tax offset, private health insurance tax offset etc. TO
    4. Your liability for medicare levy surcharge if your combined income with your spouse is more than $140 smth thousand and you don’t have private health insurance. Because it will incur extra 1% on top of your medicare levy, which brings the levy to 2.5%. MED

The formulas are:
    Taxable Income = AI – AD
    Tax Liability = (Tax Rate+MED) x Taxable Income
    Final Tax Assessment = Tax Liability- Tax Withheld – TO
    If FTA is less than 0 = REFUND

that’s simplified anyway.

Hence, as what Terry said, it is insufficient to estimate the portion of tax refund from the rental property losses itself. By merely grossing up the losses by the effective tax rate, won’t give you the exact figure, estimate perhaps.

My experience, you can ask for the copy of the complete assessment plus the paperwork from your accountant. From there, you might get an idea. But apportioning the refund due to the rental losses won’t be easy.

Regards

Ferdinand

Participant
    @amyhunz

Thanks for your help everyone. Very comprehensive Ferdinand. It seems there's no simple formula to figure this out. I was just interested to work out if our IP was positively geared after our tax refund.

Cheers

Participant
    @terryw

yes there is.

Profit = Income – expenses
    If this is negative then you are negative cashflow before tax and you would be negatively geared.

Profit = Income – expenses – non cash expenses.
    (non cash = things you don't pay for directly, but can claim such as depreciation and loan costs)
    If this figure is negative then you are negatively geared.

You could still be cashflow positive with negatively geared because of the non cash deductions

Profit = Income – expenses – noncash expenses + tax saved (related to this property only)
    This will tell you how much it actually makes or loses after everything.

You cannot just add your tax return to the figures because some of that return is because you were having too much tax taken out of wages each week and you would also have other non property related expenses that you can claim related to your job.

Email Me

Participant
    @amyhunz

Thanks Terry that's helpful. I guess that's why I was trying to separate the IP portion within our tax return so not to skew or inflate the figures. But I think I need to be an accountant to get this completely accurate! Thanks again

Participant
    @terryw

Just get a spreadsheet for the proeprty.
    Work out the income for the property. ie the loss

This loss is then added to other income. So you can work out, from the ATO calculator, what the tax payable on the income is before the loss. Then add the loss and work out again.

This will enable to you work out how much the tax you saved because of the propeerty.

ps I am not an accountant either.

Email Me

Profile photo of mike hmike h
    Participant
    @mike-h

Hi amy,

You were on the right track, it should be a fairly simple calculation although we are missing a couple of bits of information:

IP Loss = 13,000 (given – im assuming this is the loss shown in your tax return? otherwise ignore depreciation)

add: depreciation (should be in your tax return if you have a copy, otherwise ask your accountant)

add: tax saving
    = 13,000 x 50% x 0.37 (MRT of 37% and only one person working and able to claim the loss against income – both given)
    = 2,405

= Net Cash Profit (Loss)

Net Cash Profit (loss) / purchase cost = ROI

Participant
    @amyhunz

Thanks Mike that's really clear and straight forward! Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.