All Topics / Help Needed! / “Moderate termite damage”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

What would you class as "moderate" termite damage to a property? and would you stay well clear?
    Leading on from my last post I've discovered the property we're chasing up falls under the above category. The vendor(the bank in this case) has apparently paid to have the termites treated, whether or not they have treated only the termites and not the damage I'm not sure at this stage…
    Anyone had experience with something like this and how far the bank would go to fix it ?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

What you need to know is how much your builder is going to charge to restore the damage and the extent of the damage.

Who provided the report -the bank or you? Are the termites still active? What additional follow-up treatment will be required? how often?

Do you want your first investment to be a project or be able to be leased out straight away? Do you realise that you will have to capitalise the cost of restoration work not claim it in one big hit?

The bank probably won't fix any of the damage – it will just suffer the reduced sale  price.

Profile photo of pestiepestie
    @pestie

You also need to consider how the termites where treated.  9 times out of 10 the vendor goes the cheapest option which is a liquid spray to kill them.  The problem with this is that it DOES NOT eliminate the nest.  The soldier termites will close off those workings that are sprayed, sacrificing any termites behind enemy lines so to speak. 

And the nest with potentially one million termites carries on, concentrating their efforts elsewhere – which may very well be somewhere else in the property you are considering.

If you choose to purchase after reviewing the damage, I'd be asking to see the treatment certificate and if it does not have Termidor Dust or some form of termite baiting written on it then I'd be steering clear of it.

As for what is moderate damage – when I carry out a termite inspection or pre-purchase inspection moderate is a peice of scrap timber down the rear of the property with damage.  Any damage to a house is considered high purely because everyones interpretation of LOW, MODERATE AND HIGH is different. 

Do you consider 30 degrees celcius to be a high temperature or moderate?  Someone from Minsk might consider that to be high.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.