All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Can I sell my IP into my SMSF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of AnthonyJFAnthonyJF
    Participant
    @anthonyjf

Hi All,

I am considering setting up a SMSF and would like to know if it is possible to either sell or transfer my existing investment property into the SMSF?

My accountant told me that it is not possible because you cannot sell a residential property to a SMSF where the owner is a member of the SMSF.

Is there any legal structure available or can be setup where you can do this but not breach the SMSF regulations? 

Has anyone done something like this before?

thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

No it is not possible.

A SMSF is prohibited from acquiring an asset from a related party. There is an exception of "business real property' but residential will not qualify.

You couldn't even sell to a unit trust or to a mate and then resell it (not that you would with the stamp duty) because the anti avoidance provisions will capture this.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As Terry mentioned:

1) Yes the SMSF can purchase a Commercial property from a member or related party as long as doesn't breach the in-house Asset rules under the SIS Act and the consideration is done at market value.

Few other criteria but it can be done.

One of the benefits would be to sell it when you are Pension phase as there is no CGT.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you have sufficient funds in the new fund, then you can go and buy an IP but it can't be one that you already own (unless it is a commercial premises).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.