All Topics / General Property / Weasel words in Real Estate!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Heya all.

So I am on the lookout for another IP, so obviously scouring real estate listings like crazy. Does anyone else find weasel words (even sentences) in real estate listings funny, sometimes stupid, a bit over the top, irritating, or just plain helpful???

Its funny how every single possible dwelling is such a great deal isn’t it LOL.

Some example word/s from listing I seen recently
    *Sun drenched
    *Golden opportunity
    *Natural light just streams through
    *Amazing…
    *Quite simply, they don’t make backyards like this anymore
    * “lovely nieghbours”
    *Surprise package

Have you seen any lately that you may wish to share?

Not taking the micky, I’m just saying.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

In some of the older established suburbs where subdivisions are happening, I keep seeing listings that tout 'compact block' or 'low maintenance block' as if it's a major plus. Well, maybe it is, but it depends on who you're talking to. I'd rather buy a house on a full-sized block of land, thank you very much.

Profile photo of SezSez
    @sez

I must admit these make me laugh a little – my recent favourite was "outdoor entertainment area which soaks up the evening sun"

I'm a PM and I understand needing to advertise the properties in a way that will get people through but I tend to use a bullet point approach listing the details of the house e.g.
    *3 bedrooms with built in robes
    * master bedroom with full ensuite
    *2 separate living areas
    etc. etc. etc.

I find it very hard to get too …… flowery with my descriptions! Some times I wish I could because some of them are…. well… "amazing and exactly what you have been searching for" !!!!

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Haha… I have also been looking at Agent profiles lately because I’m thinking of selling, they do similar things I guess every agent is a super one…. makes life easy for us as sellers then huh :) we have an such a wide variety of quality choice.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

My favourite is
    "The kitchen and bathroom are in original condition"

aka. They look like crap and haven't had any work done since the house was built.

Other good ones
    "Handyman's delight"
    "Homely"
    "Outhouse"…thats when you know you have a bargain…lol

Ryan McLean
    Free Ebook "How To Find Positive Cash Flow Property"
    http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

This is weasel copy writing, most agents aren't good copy writers!

A few more.

* Weasel photography, those wide angle shots that make a broom closet look like a double bedroom
    * Weasel furniture (virtual furniture placed in photos)
    * Weasel silence.. Sellers are as bad or worse than agents in this regard.. Those unapproved extensions that they know full well about and will most likely be revealed in a building and pest and will just waste time and money… etc

Real estate is a large part (very large part) marketing, so weasel is a very appropriate term to be using in most cases!

Those professional photos and stretching the truth property descriptions are annoying.. but they do really work.

Wisdom from Jim Rohn.. 'People shouldn't judge you on your appearance… but here's a hint….. they do!'

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Nice additions guys :)

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Joe,
    Funny comments mate.

I think it just goes to show that we need to be smart when dealing in with the real estate industry.
    Know what your criteria is in advance, and don't get carried away by the fluff!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.