All Topics / Help Needed! / Planning Permit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of pertpert
    Participant
    @pert

Hi! I am looking at buying a 1200m2 block of land with planning permit for two dwellings.

Can anyone please explain what this actually entitles me to do with the block.

Profile photo of BallerinaBallerina
    Participant
    @ballerina

It depends where it is. Different local authorities/councils have different rules. Check local council for planning rules (zoning etc) and definitely ask for copy of all approvals.

Profile photo of pertpert
    Participant
    @pert

Hi Ballerina,
    Thank you for your help regarding my question.

Profile photo of ShazfamilyShazfamily
    @shazfamily

I would have thought 1200 sq would allow you to build 2 4brm houses. We have a 799 block and we can put 2 large townhouses on it. If you have a planning permit for 2 dwellings you should have plenty of room for 2 good size houses. If you are in a growing area you could even fit 3-4 townhouses (strata type). Ask your council what the street is zoned. Ask a local agent what is the best seller in the area, then talk to an architect, as the layout of the land is important too. We did all the homework on costs of building with all the rules council have now (enviro and other demands like engineers report, town planner, arborist report, ) incl DA and building cost and found that it wasnt worth it if we were going to sell straightaway. You need to be willing to hold it to make any money. Of course if you can do some of the work yourself it could be different. Good luck

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

The planning permit should accurately describe (in either words or pictures) exactly what is currently permitted on the land. 1,200m2, in a suburban context, could be considered fairly large land for a 2 lot proposal. Generally speaking, a higher density, say 1:300m2 would be more common.

Profile photo of pertpert
    Participant
    @pert
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.