All Topics / Help Needed! / selling home – building report

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of investhutinvesthut
    @investhut

hi all,

i got a very good offer on very first day on the market and accepted that.

the purchasers solicitors have roughly come back with this today.. that they got a building and pest inspection and there are number of defects and would like us to fix it.

at bit abt the prop. a 3 bedroom townhouse walking distance to station, 3 schools and very much demand location. its about 35 year old complex, but property is in super condition inside.

im meeting my solicitor tomm, but wanted other experts view as well.

so the initial fax says repair these or compensate the Purchaser

1) 1 cracked roof tile, possibly can lead water into the roof
    2) 6 cracked tile in whole house, get them fixed
    3) laundry has old rusted trout (sink), get the rust fixed
    and so on and on about really small issues.

i have bought a couple of property and discussed with family, they are like, if its a 35 year old prop, how can they expect everything to be NEW and in perfect condition..

bit lost, Agent is like, first home buyer and nervous about whole thing, with a really rough Solicitor…

what to make of this list of really small things, about 10.. but would cost me 3-k to fix it.

my initial thoughts were, they want to bargain 1-2 k on the price and this is their tactic!!!

Regards,

Investhut

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Depends- Did they offer a great price? Do you need a quick sale?

If yes and yes negotiate. If not tell them it's a 35 year old property in good condition. Like it or lump it.

Or 7 tiles = $200. New sink $200. Give them $400 off. What the heck, give them $1,000. haha.

They are in for a hard time if they are trying to buy something with no problems. This will not even happen with a new house.
    Play their bluff. They have to find a house before Dec 31st if they want the grant. Tell them you have had plenty of interest and you aren't in a hurry.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I agreew with Catalyst- I think you could either offer a nominal discount of $1000 or so, or just say that that is the condition of the house and the price stands.

You said that you had the offer within a day of it being on the market so surely there is another buyer out there. Maybe your RE agent could give you some advice.

Also, what is your solicitor doing? What is his opinion? You are paying him for a reason!!!

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of investhutinvesthut
    @investhut

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I did say will discuss with solicitors today.

they said, its probably a last minute bluff and they are seeking price discount thats it.

of their possible 15 plus list, we finalised will just fix a cracked window and only toilet seat cover. take it or leave it.

rest is their decision from there.

solicitors both local in same area said, this letter from Purchasers Solicitor is common and kind of beyond belief.. but worth trying.

Regards,

Investhut

Profile photo of JstyleJstyle
    @jstyle

They cant reneg the contract if it is not a MAJOR structual defect.
    Have a look at your your wording for the special comments in regards to the building inspection.

If they wording says MAJOR structual or Substantial damage then they cannot cancel the contract using the building clause.
    Its a 35year old house, they cant pull the pin on the contract without losing the deposit (unless it hasnt gone over the 3 day cooling off period).

It really depends how much you want the sale, by the looks of the things they mentioned it wouldnt cost too much to fix.

At worst by the sounds of it if they do use the cooling off period then youd probably end up with $1000 and a free building report and you can spend that $1000 to fix the defects :) lol win win?

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.