All Topics / Help Needed! / Basic calculations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of boney breamboney bream
    Participant
    @boney-bream

Hello, we have been reading this site for a while.  We have 100k to invest, and have found our dream location which we would like to live in a few years time, after we are sick of working the mines.  Our combined income is 200k+
    We will need to borrow 550k (650k asking price).  The brand new house has tenants for the next 24months at $860/wk.  Just a simple question, as we do not have experience in these mathematical situations…….  Is $860/week a fair return for purchasing a property for 650k.  We do eventually want to live in this house – 5-10 years time.
    Thanks for your help.  You guys seem to have great knowledge, and generous with your assistance.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Hard to say without knowing the location….
    It all comes down to the location.

+ your calculation didnt include any stamp duty + another soft cost which would eat up ~ $20k of your deposit :(

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of boney breamboney bream
    Participant
    @boney-bream

We have enough cash to cover the stamp duty etc.  Just wondering if the rent/purchase price ratio was ok.  We really want to live in this house one day………..
    thanks shape

Participant
    @boney-bream

We are confident the location is "great"   :)

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    boney bream wrote:
    We are confident the location is "great"   :)

Fair enough :)

It returns 6.8% Gross yield which is ok for Metro capital city.

Most metro returns 5 -6 % these days; but of course the larger the metro ie Sydney and VIC the lower the rental return..

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Guess it depends what your goals are, and what you want to achieve from purchasing the property.

If you are buying it as a lifestyle asset then the numbers don't matter as much as the emotional side of things.

However if you are buying it as an investment, then numbers mean everything and due diligence mean everything.

As Michael mentioned, location plays a crucial part in terms of capital growth, and a gross yield of 6.8% seems average.

Personally I would prefer to have at least +1% return over the interest rate for the loan i.e. if interest rate is 6.7%, I would like to have a property that yields at least +7.7%, so based on $860/week , the most I would pay is $580,779 (unless there are cost effective means to increase rent or add more perceived value)

Participant
    @boney-bream

Thanks for your replies.  Appreciate your input

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.