All Topics / Help Needed! / Electrical….. – Tenants claiming I should pay for their laptop, fridge etc., from last night’s electrical storm….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Blue Ridge HomesBlue Ridge Homes
    Participant
    @blue-ridge-homes

Here's one I haven't come across before….

I have a property which was affected by storm last night.  A surge went thru the house and has damaged tenants laptop and some other appliances (don't know why they didn't unplug them or at least have a surge box).  The Property Manager has advised them to get quotes for new appliances on Monday (what the? I thought)

Anyone had this before?

My understanding is that it is my responsibility to ensure safe electricity is provided to the house and I have the Electrician who originally wired it going out there today.

But sure the contents of the house are the tenants responsibility?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I'm pretty sure that's covered in the contents insurance as the items are home contents.

Tenants should have their own contents insurance. If they don't- their loss.

Profile photo of Blue Ridge HomesBlue Ridge Homes
    Participant
    @blue-ridge-homes

Thanks Catalyst,
    Turns out our property manager had the wrong property (wasn't even one of our houses)!
    Our Electrician who we called out is annoyed (he turned up to the house where no one was home but the power was on) as is my partner Carl who built the house.
    Another case in point as to why I'm progressively taking on the PM of properties myself. 
    Cheers
    Meg

Profile photo of TayloredPropertyTayloredProperty
    @tayloredproperty

Meg,

Even though it is now a moot point, you had it right, it is definitely the responsibility of the tenants to have contents. I think it could differ from state to state, but in SA, we have it in our leases that we advise tenants to get contents insurance.

Shame on your property manager for getting that one quite so wrong…

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.