All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Trust structure vs Company

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Naremburn123Naremburn123
    @naremburn123
    Hey guys?

How are you all??

I'm bidding on a cheap house at auction next week. I'm planning on buying 6 cheap properties in the next 2 years. I'll put granny flats on the back to make the properties cash flow positive. They will be a buy and hold. I won't sell them.
    So I'll need to set up a trust or company structure to hold them in. My question is this
    1 – If I buy the house next week – and exchange – Can I then purchase the property under a trust or company structure once I settle? As I haven't set it up yet.
    2 What is the best structure? Should I buy them under a company structure or some sort of trust structure?
    Any advice would be very helpful!

Cheers

Naremburn

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286
    Naremburn123 wrote:
    1 – If I buy the house next week – and exchange – Can I then purchase the property under a trust or company structure once I settle? As I haven't set it up yet.

If you aren't sure about how to structure your investments, the 'and/or nominee(s)' clauses could be useful, but make sure you double check this with a qualified professional in your state, so that you don't pay double stamp duty.

Naremburn123 wrote:
    2 What is the best structure? Should I buy them under a company structure or some sort of trust structure?

Different structures have different benefits and drawbacks, and it all depends on how much asset protection and flexibility you want in relation to the cost.

However having said that, I believe holding appreciating assets in a discretionary trust with corporate trustee is much wiser than holding it in a company structure, as you are able to distribute income and also access the 50% capital gains tax discount.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Never a good idea to buy without seeking proper advice. If you buy before setting up the structure there could be 2 lots of stamp duty.

It is also not a good idea to buy in a company because the company will be taxed at a flat rate of 30% with no 50% CGT discount.

The best structure for something cashflow positive is generally a discretionary trust or a SMSF. You could also look at buying in a unit trust with the units held by a discretionary as there is extra flexibility with transferring the units to a SMSF later and extra tax advantages.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Naremburn123Naremburn123
    @naremburn123

Thanks for that advice guys.

These were my thoughts and I'm sure you'll correct me.

1 –
    If I buy in a company structure. The profits held in the company are taxed at 30%.These funds can then be used for future purchases etc. If I need to access some of the cashflow, I can then distribute that money to myself or my wife etc in the form of employee payments. Is this correct? Is this possible? And what are the possible issues? I'm guessing super will be just one issue. As I said, I'm just trying to get my head around this.

2 If I'm not planning on selling – then does the loss of the GCT discount become a non factor. Meaning the company structure becomes more attractive?

3 Can a company structure offer the same protection as a trust setup? Am I protected with a company structure??

4 If my partner is planning on not working(kids) would a discretionary trust work best? As I could distribute funds to her?

Thanks alot for all your help guys! I appreciate it.

Naremburn

Participant
    @terryw

If you buy in a company you can get the profit out in 3 ways:
    1. wages/director payments etc.
    2. Dividends
    3. Loans.

Lots of issues involved and little flexibility if you are the shareholder. Your kids could earn $416 pa each and pay no tax, but hard to get the money to them with a company.

You will be leaving a large potential tax for your decendants. Companies can last forever however. so they could keep holding the properties. But the shares of the company have to be passed on when you die. There are lots of tax issues here.

3. No. A company will limit liability. The shareholders cannot be sued and usually the director is not able to be liable (but can be sometimes) but if you are holding the shares of a company and go bankrupt then your creditors will get the shares and thereby control the company and all its property. With a discretionary trust it is different because a beneficiary would not have a fixed interest in the trust assets so the bankruptcy would mean the trustee just stops distributing money to you while bankrupt to stop it falling into the hands of your creditors.

4. Consider using a discretionary trust with a company as trustee. This will limit the liability if the trust is sued and also offers the greatest flexibility with minimsing tax

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tjunctiontjunction
    Participant
    @tjunction

I'm buying a property that requires a commercial loan (6 units on 1 title).  Getting finance has been like drawing teeth-  it has literally been a 5 month process. 

With settlement due at the end of this week, the lender has just told me that they now also require the loan to be within a discretionary trust with a company as trustee.

I'm trying to determine if this is a deal breaker for a couple of mum/dad investors with one other IP. 

TerryW's 4th point in last post (above);
    4. Consider using a discretionary trust with a company as trustee. This will limit the liability if the trust is sued and also offers the greatest flexibility with minimsing tax

My questions are;
    1. Is this as flexible as buying within a discretionary trust with me and my wfie as trustees?
    2. Will this structure be like buying within a company (ie. taxed at a flat rate of 30%, and no 50% CGT discount).

Any advice here would be welcomed.

Participant
    @terryw

Who is the bank to tell you what structure you should buy it in. That has far reaching consequences for you that they shouldn't be concerned with.

Qs
    1. Using a company as trustee is more flexible and safer. If the trust is sued the company will protection you and wife to a large extent. It is also more flexible. Say you want to hand over control to your son in 10 years. You and wife just hand over control of the company which is the trustee and no need to change title deeds on the property etc.

2. Not like buying in a company in its own right, very different treatment in terms of tax and more flexible. eg. a trustee would distribute to the lowest tax payers to reduce the amount of tax payable. a company couldn't do this – it would pay a 30% flat tax rate

Email Me

Participant
    @tjunction

Thanks Terry, appreciate the rapid response. 

Would you expect the bank to do anything differently in assessing the viability of my loan going forward.  Are they going to want to see Company Profit & Loss each year, for example?  To assess the ability for the company to service loan?

(Or is it like an investment loan for a residential rental property- where they only care once you start defaulting on payments)

Participant
    @terryw

T

Should be just a one off application.Commercial loans may have a shorter term, but I don't think there would be any ongoing requirements to show updated income etc. You should ask your broker to confirm.

Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

There are many a Commercial loan done these days ( especially if with 1 of the Big 4) which depending on how structured have an ongoing requirement for you to provide income information on the anniversary of the settlement.

Standard Term loan would be different but depends on how it is structured.

5 months for a loan is incredible but as Terry has mentioned "what right has your Bank to tell you what name / structure to buy the property in.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SGermainSGermain
    @sgermain

pretty sure that Trusts are eligible for the 50% CGT discount but companies aren't …..

having a corporate trustee rather than individuals is a lot more protected too because IF the trust gets sued you can fold the company if need be and appoint a new trustee ….. individual trustees would be personally liable  (unless I've misunderstood my legal advisers).

Profile photo of MikeFMikeF
    Participant
    @mikef
    tjunction wrote:

With settlement due at the end of this week, the lender has just told me that they now also require the loan to be within a discretionary trust with a company as trustee.

I'm trying to determine if this is a deal breaker for a couple of mum/dad investors with one other IP. 

Hi

Why the lender would try to give you this advise is extremely concerning. Are they qualified to give such "advice" I doubt it.

Were you originally looking to purchase in your own names or perhaps via a SMSF? I'm confussed.

Participant
    @terryw
    SGermain wrote:
    pretty sure that Trusts are eligible for the 50% CGT discount but companies aren't …..

having a corporate trustee rather than individuals is a lot more protected too because IF the trust gets sued you can fold the company if need be and appoint a new trustee ….. individual trustees would be personally liable  (unless I've misunderstood my legal advisers).

Yes, trusts get the 50% discount

If a trust is sued it is the trustee that cops it, so your personal assets could be at risk if you are individual trustee.

Email Me

Participant
    @tjunction

Yeah, getting finance has been sooo unbelievably difficult and convoluted.  I wont name the bank, but it's a bank in the west.

After running the serviceability calulator umpteen times since initial application in July/Aug, they finally agreed that my wife and I could service the loan. 

What that sorted, the application proceeded to the lending department, who imediately came back and said, 'er, actually, we cant accept any of this unless it is within a discretionary trust with a company as trustee.

With such a gruelling lead up to this in proving serviceability, we were flabbergasted.  .

This was the only lender that would accept the investment and my security so (for the purpose of this deal) we have setup a discretionary trust with a company as trustee.

Fingers crossed, we'll achieve settlement in 6 weeks from now.

Participant
    @terryw

The bank saying they wouldn’t accept it unless under a discretionary trust is strange. Maybe it was more like ‘you don’t pass, but if you were using a DT it might”?

Also, it is strange that bank west isn’t really keen on trusts.

But it may work out better for you by using a DT

Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Terry be suprised how many lenders are also adopting the same attitude to Trusts as BW.

Same old story if you dont understand or indeed if it only forms a small portion of your business and you dont want to understand then easier to same NO.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.